Railroad Line Forums - Gallery Glass-new technique learned by accident
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Gallery Glass-new technique learned by accident
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Floquil Weathering Markers...??? Topic Next Topic: The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge  

frank123
New Hire

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gallery Glass (and other liquid glass products) can be rather difficult to apply on windows with large spaces between the mullions. I was working on a C&O standard station kit the other day, and the kit instructions said that you needed to apply clear styrene to the back of the bay windows and leave a small "flange" that would be used for holding the casting in the window opening. I decided to attach the styrene to the back of the window with Gallery Glass. After that was thoroughly cured, I filled the spaces between the mullions on the front side, with 2 thin layers of GG. When this had fully cured and the GG had returned to clear, I started to cut back the styrene to make the small flanges, and here is where the "accident" took place - at the first flexing of the styrene, it "popped off" the back of the window leaving the GG fully intact on the front of the window! I repeated this on the other 2 bay windows and cemented them into the openings. This is a great way to use GG, since it doesn't require special handling while the "film" is curing - just leave the windows on a flat surface and pour in thin layers!

Frank

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  11:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds worth a try Frank, thanks for the tip.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  12:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank. I'm going to try that.

George

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  1:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank, and welcome to the forum. Interesting results. Sometimes accidents can be a blessing in disguise and lead to new revelations. You had some most interesting results. I hope you are able to take a photo and post it on the forum so we can see the results.

I don't have any GG, but I'm wondering if your technique would work with white glue.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frakn
I have never worked with galley glass so it would be great to see pictures.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Previous Topic: Floquil Weathering Markers...??? Topic Next Topic: The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000