Railroad Line Forums - 1:1 scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 1:1 scale
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge Topic Next Topic: JL Inc Boatworks  

avramk
Section Hand

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  6:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just completed a day at our company's adopted home building for Habitat for Humanity,
It gave me an appreciation for construction work and the people who do it for a living.
I think it will also help me in my craftsman building as I try to translate what I learned today to the HO world.
I now know how many nails are used in a shear wall vs a non shear wall, and the placement of nails on boards and walls.
Avram

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  6:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avram,
Sounds like fun and also a very worthwhile experience.
Where did you build?

What did they teach you about nail heads/holes in the siding.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

emccamey
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  6:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit emccamey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For myself - I keep getting the left hand nails mixed up with the right hand nails!

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  6:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great way to help others, and at the same time, a great experience that you can always use in your every day life. Especially if you have a home of your own to work on.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

avramk
Section Hand

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  02:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a great giving experience. We have a turn the keys over event on April 26. I am a hospital administrator and am part of a team from the hospital.
In regards to nails, I learned about stitching, as they call in two nails down the siding at connections to the the 2 x 4 s or 2 x 6 s at the shear wall, with the nails about 3 inches a part.
When not a shear wall we did on nail about every 16 inches. The call out on the blueprints called for, non shear wall nailing of between 10 or 12 nails along the siding to the studs.
the nails are all going to be covered by paint and are pounded in very flat. They whole wall is going to be wrapped by tyvek wrapping, so that will also cover the nails.
as the experience apples to model building, it is clear the need is to measure twice, cut once. You just can't waste material and the integrity of the house (model) depends on an exact fit.
Working alongside an experienced construction supervisor is a humbling experience, when, like me, you don't have the construction knowledge or skills. I learned a lot, and unlike my solo model building,it was a team experience.
It is in this and other forums and at shows that we do get to feel like team, if only a virtual team.
Avram

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  05:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avram, . .What a great way to learn, especially while helping others along the way. My first experience came years ago while framing a multi-level Christian education unit.

quote:
Originally posted by avramk

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Previous Topic: The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge Topic Next Topic: JL Inc Boatworks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000