Railroad Line Forums - SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lous American Indian Totem Pole Topic Next Topic: Upscaling the Red Oak Garage
Page: of 5

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  12:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, Louis , yes they are from scratch.

Louis, I just chopped and tilled more than 1/4 acre of 10yr old growth 16'-20' tall and 4" diameter poles!, yup I know how tough it is . I know I wont ever get rid of it but I will be laying/planting grass on 99% of this area so the mower will take care of its resiliant and persistant new shoots, in the lawn anyway. Thats in the back, the other thing I have been dealing with in the front is 10yr old primrose, not quite 1/4 acre but alot, and I'm sure you know how invasive that stuff is too !!!! 12" deep carpet of vine roots after I cut it down as much as possible to what I thought was the ground!!

Karl.A

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  1:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Nice work Karl. Also, hate to bust your bubble, but do you know that bamboo roots are the worst thing to get rid of. They just seem to keep comming back no matter what. Very invasive plants.

That's because bamboo, whether of the clumping or branching variety, is a grass and propagates the same as other grasses by putting out rhizomes. Once you get a stand of bamboo, it's almost impossible to get rid of.

One of my neighbors has been trying to get rid of it in his backyard for probably 15 years. It spread from the yard behind his, where the owners had planted it as a view block along the property line. It spread like blue grass or fescue - except that it's about 8'-10' tall and very thick. Good luck, Karl!

And nice job on the windows. Those are not something I'd want to try scratchbuilding....

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, they're not so bad once you've done a few, using a template and a logical system of assembly eases the construction, certainly a modeller of your caliber would find it a simple process. I enjoy it, but then again I also now prefer total board on board and individual shingling, I like the variation, individualism and complete control that results from the processes, I must be a glutton for punishment I guess.

Here are the completed doors sitting in situ, they still need additional weathering, blending and fixing in place which is why they all look crooked and misaligned.

Well, this will have to go on the shelf as it is for a little while as I have been asked to do a test build for a new kit in HO. I will be starting tomorrow so I'll need to clear the desk for a few days to a week.

Regards,
Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  11:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The door, windows and the siding came out on this structure real nice. It's looking good. Will this test build you are about to start, be posted as you go?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  05:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, as I understand it, this is not a test build at all, since Karl is scratchbuilding this structure in O scale using the SW kit as a model. Hence the scratchbuilding of the windows and doors... There was a test build thread by Elliott (ETinBH) at the following address

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16410

with the final pics at

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16701

You'll find some very nice additionnal pics at this one

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18549

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  05:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, your doors are quite nice.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  08:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Just caught up with this thread, looks like you are well on your way to another great looking build. Looking forward to seeing mo pictures when you finally get back to it.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  10:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

You are correct Frederic, however I am putting this build aside for a short time while I complete a separate test build for another structure/supplier, this is what Louis is refering to.

I am not sure if I'll be posting as I build on the other one Louis, I'll check and start a thread if I can.

Regards
Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Karl, I had missed the last two lines of your preceding message.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  11:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I posted finished pictures of the diorama in last years contest thread but here are a few process shots I took throughout construction and some of the finished shots again. I'll spread it over several posts.

After assembling the walls and subroof I cut and applied the shingles

Unashamedly copying Bretts plan I framed out the tool shed

The door handles

The lines on the roof are where I didnt spread the shingles out well enough after staining them with A&I and they dried in a pile. After they were applied as shown below I had to go back and scrape each shingle with a needle to remove the marks.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  12:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Next I added the rear porch and then the 'concrete' platform on the trackside. At this point I also started painting and playing around with some detail parts.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/23/2009 12:28:03 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  12:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
At this point I was ready for the diorama construction, track is ON30, and the part I dreaded most......glueing the structure to the base.

The original idea was to have a broken tree stump following a storm, and a freshly cut tree stump next to it as shown below, but I didnt like how it looked so I changed it later.

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/23/2009 01:16:01 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  12:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
More details and scenery added.

I found a vine growing up a tree in the yard whose stem looked like a scale pine trunk(to me) so I cut a section of the vine. This was approx 1" diameter and I needed a taper so, I peeled the bark off to the height I wanted and carved in a taper, then I cut and reapplied the bark and added caspia 'branches'. These were finally covered with WS dark green static grass to simulate pine needles.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  12:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much finished, more details and scenery added, there are still a couple of detail ideas I wanted to incorporate into the dio, maybe I'll go back and add them or I may just add them into a future dio.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/23/2009 01:11:11 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  12:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Finished pictures posted in the following thread

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23187

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/23/2009 01:09:34 AM

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Lous American Indian Totem Pole Topic Next Topic: Upscaling the Red Oak Garage  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000