Railroad Line Forums - SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: johnbell238@aol.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lous American Indian Totem Pole Topic Next Topic: Upscaling the Red Oak Garage
Page: of 5

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well here I go again, clean desk, a mug of coffee and a great design, no better place to start a build. (IMO)

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  12:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Karl; nice looking bench, now what's on the agenda????

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  12:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Louis,

http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/ckits/duluth/3004.html

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  2:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, nice structure. Have fun with it! I on the other hand, are worked up over the Logging Camp Essentials. Just have to persuade the love of my life, that the price is worth adding to the landscapeing. I've got LP's that need living & resting quarters.

Louis

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  2:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
An O scale SW Duluth Co should prove to be a very interesting thread . Looking forward to the start of construction.
Peter

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice new project, Karl. No doubt you'll again make a great looking building. How long do you think your workplace will look this tidy?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  11:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, yesterday was a modeling 'wipeout' and all I got done was perusing the first part of the excellent manual, so today I start. I have a few hours before heading over to Lisa's to fix some plumbing and set up the washer/dryer.

I had this crazy idea to setup my webcam over the desk a)Lisa likes to see what I'm doing (in a good way) and b)I thought some of you may be interested. I added a link to my Yahoo along the top of my posts.

Nothing too exciting this morning though, I'll be making the clapboards from 1/64" ply and hopefully making some of the main walls.

Regards
Karl.A

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  1:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, this will make a great scratchbuilding project. (And I noticed the green SW boxes on the top shelf.... )

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  09:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard
How long do you think your workplace will look this tidy?

ummmm, about 35mins Frederic

Thanks Mike, I'm hoping so. Here is some minor progress, between working on the house, the large yard and looking for work.

Regards,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/19/2008 09:50:10 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  10:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the walls. You are going to use up some stripwood on this scratchbuild.

Louis

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  11:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Real nice job on the walls can't wait to see what color there going to be and what the trim color will be, thanks for the post.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  5:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start on this building, Karl. But why don't you cut the clapboards at the exact length before glueing them? With a chopper it would be easy and maybe save the very stick you'll need to end all these walls.

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  5:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
exceptionally nice scratchbuilt clapboard - looking forward to seeing this build!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

Louis, I make the stripwood from sheetstock so there's no shortage on hand.

Frederic, I dont have a chopper(yet) so thats stopping point #1, secondly I would imagine that for the many various lengths required, eg. between windows, doors, etc then it would take longer to keep moving the 'stop' on a chopper to get exact lengths. Doing it this way I can line up one side, leave an overhang on the other, then its just a matter of trimming with some good sturdy scissors and then sanding even.

Thanks Brett much appreciated, I hope I can do it justice.

I've been struggling to get a colour I like for the walls, the base coat is folk-art 'Butter Pecan'. After much messing around, repainting, trial and lots of errors I settled on straight "DecoArt" 'Fiesta Yellow' for the walls. Extremely loud and garish but weathering should calm it down a little, hopefully, maybe.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Karl.
Weathering the thing will certainly tone down the yellow. Nice walls, very good start on your Duluth.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh well, time for work, hopefully I'll get a chance to 'play' some more later on today.

Karl.A

EDIT. Thanks Frederic, I think so, that yellow was just a little too stark. I gave the walls a wash of "applebarrel" 'Sandstone' to dull them down and mute the yellow, it worked quite well I feel.

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/21/2008 09:40:02 AM

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Lous American Indian Totem Pole Topic Next Topic: Upscaling the Red Oak Garage  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000