Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Remaking the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
Page: of 87

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  10:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking Good, James!

Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  11:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice model of classic architecture.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  4:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete & Mike. Here it's pretty much done, with my real center-chimney colonial in the background.

I got stalled on the BEST house when I couldn't find Tichy's glazing for one package of 4024 windows. I'm sure I had it, but a young person borrowed my workbench for a project and it couldn't be found thereafter. So today I made two dozen new panes and things are complete enough to start on scenery around it.

James

Edited by - jbvb on 01/30/2020 4:30:59 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  5:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, nicely done! I'm not sure I'd have the patience to cut out two dozen window panes.... I'm having enough issues with the "Greenwood" station....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  10:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. But I locked my caliper to the height, then used its points to mark out enough strips. Then I set my old-style 'Chopper' to the width. The cutting and assembly actually took less time than I'd spent hunting for the missing laser-cut glazing - I didn't have to file off the little stubs left from cutting the laser-cut panes free.

James

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  10:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life is Good.

Pete
in Michigan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Very nice James.

Frank

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  1:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete & Frank. I'm much closer to finishing the three structures I started in December:

Bexley Tower now has its signs and the Train Director's workplace is illuminated. I need to print a wall calendar and make a desk chair. Then deal with the train order signal. And then weather the roof, at least. That big roof overhang would have kept the windows and walls relatively clean.

James

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  3:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Bexley Tower now has its signs and the Train Director's workplace is illuminated. I need to print a wall calendar and make a desk chair. Then deal with the train order signal. And then weather the roof, at least. That big roof overhang would have kept the windows and walls relatively clean.

Nice! What are you using for the wall calendar?

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  3:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on that house, James. It looks just like so many that we pass when visiting my brother over in Brentwood.

Bruce

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  4:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce. Someday if your schedule allows, stop by and see my prototype center chimney colonial (and layout in its attic). Pete, searching for '1953 calendar' gives many results with enough resolution for GIMP to make something recognizable at 7mm x 5mm. I'll just choose product and level of risque...

James

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  4:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Bruce. Someday if your schedule allows, stop by and see my prototype center chimney colonial (and layout in its attic). Pete, searching for '1953 calendar' gives many results with enough resolution for GIMP to make something recognizable at 7mm x 5mm. I'll just choose product and level of risque...

Hmmmm.... OK, same "issues" I have with 1954.... Have strong feelings by Chief Dispatcher/VP-Engineering that this should be strictly "Company," though, and am not sure how I want to respond....

Pete

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found a 'Be Specific, Ship Union Pacific' 52/3 calendar, but no other RR stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a B&M freebie calendar, but here's a 1954 calendar with VGN Trainmasters:

http://virginian.mdodd.com/calendar.html

James

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  5:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found a 'Be Specific, Ship Union Pacific' 52/3 calendar, but no other RR stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a B&M freebie calendar, but here's a 1954 calendar with VGN Trainmasters:

http://virginian.mdodd.com/calendar.html

Thanks, James! This has some good data in it, including things like moon phases that would have been there and that I would not have considered. Nice save!!

I'll have to finish up some scenery to "photo-ready" and see what kind of kluge I can come up with....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  8:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've spent considerable time on the layout recently, but the work hasn't fitted into any of the 2020 Challenge's categories. Maybe next project. The layout certainly wants more scratchbuilt structures...

I'd been thinking about how to light the Bexley platform shed for a while. The platform itself is removable and I wanted the shed to be removable from the platform. A little matter of not having installed station signs yet was foremost.

Friday I sorted through materials on hand and decided I knew enough to start.

The 3/32" square brass (K&S) shoe on the RH canopy support is the positive connection. I wired the 5 WeHonest 'R60GR Hanging lamp with gray shade' LED assemblies in series. I used styrene (mostly .060 C channel) to retain the wire. Now that it works, I will glue/paint it (one step if I can make it work) to the styrene canopy and 3D-printed supports.

I had a few tense moments doing the wiring: the very fine stranded wire is impossible to splice mechanically, so I soldered by smashing a hot blob of solder on the iron down on my fireproof sheet. Then after starting on the 3rd lamp, found out the 2nd was bad (an excellent reason not to paint the connections as I went).

I went back to it Saturday and got all the lamps working individually. But my variable power supply is decades out of date, so I couldn't measure both voltage and current. It took a tense half hour to discover that WeHonest's LEDs start to light at about 2.5 VDC. My signal LEDs gave first light at about 1.7 volts.

Then some crawling around to confirm there was a power supply good for 15 VDC. I decided to check the resistor with the variable power supply, which led to me using a 1.5K where the calculated value would have been 220 ohms.

The 1/8" hardboard platform lifts out, then the foam 'Depot Square' module can be removed and worked on out of place. Canopy supports fit into the 1/8" square brass sockets. All except the end sockets are crimped at the bottom so the supports don't fall through. The end sockets are wired as positive/negative feeds. More work, but maintaining a strict 'finish the back before starting the front' discipline would have stalled the layout completely a decade ago.

Night lighting hides all manner of sins, but my wife noticed the unpainted wire before I did. I still like this photo. When the scene is complete there will be lit structures and street lighting in the background, so this simple composition will require extra switch controls to replicate.

James

Edited by - jbvb on 02/09/2020 9:07:16 PM

Page: of 87 Topic Next Topic: Remaking the Ridley Keystone & Mountain  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000