Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House
Page: of 63

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  11:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visible Progress here, James, and that is Good!

Best wishes for a great holiday and Tour!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  11:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Building benchwork is like that first step on a journey.

Looks like you are the master of lumber reuse.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  10:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete and Mike. And yes, all the 1x2 visible was part of my High School layout when the words "I am not a crook" echoed around the American political scene.

I survived Tour de Chooch: about 70 visitors Saturday but never more than 6-7 upstairs. I talked almost continually from 0915 to 1630. Nobody else to run trains, so I just kept one orbiting. Three hours didn't melt either RS-3 1536 (Bachmann) or E-7 3811 (BLI). Track behaved well, signals too except when an apparent open circuit generated two greens on the Bexley Tunnel westward home's upper heads. My Northeastern open platform coach was unhappy leaving Draw westbound. Punch list to be addressed later this week.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tour de Chooch was followed by the Hub Division's New England Model Train Expo, so no photogenic layout progress. I did add some thread links to the index on the first page of this thread.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Glad to hear that things went well enough for you to get back at the railroad stuff. I think some of my Grands may have hit the NEMTE; still waiting for confirmation or comments....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  10:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope they had fun. The NEMTE had more kids than last year, mostly on Sunday. We'd tried ticket giveaways on local radio stations and got a good response.

Mieke photographed me explaining some aspect of the B&M to a teenage Tour de Chooch visitor. I made the Eastern RR logo up, working with my Thai friend Nid, who designed and printed the shirt I'm wearing.

And tonight I got the last pieces of City RR baseboard cut. But track may take a while - I plan one last op session before I redo the car cards and Freight Train Symbol Book to reflect the new customers.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This sounds like a chicken/egg question! Which came first, the customers or the FTSB?

But I do see visible progress here, and I'm all in favor of Visible Progress! Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  6:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like progress!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  8:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete and Mieke. The customers have all been there quite a while (in the model world), but up until recently, they were switched differently: The 44-tonner based in Amesbury's 1-stall enginehouse worked Newburyport when it came to exchange cars with the east- and westbound locals.

I chose Homasote for the terminal portion of the City RR - A friend gave me more than I'm ever likely to use, and this portion ran on flat, filled land next to the Merrimack River. I'll cut what ditches I need with a utility knife.

Before I lay any more track, I have to establish the river bottom (probably plywood). Then I'll take this module out to the barn and trim the fascia boards. Then I'll screw it to the L girders and it will be ready.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  11:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like you're moving right along. Looking forward to the progress photos.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Looks like you're moving right along. Looking forward to the progress photos.

Me, too!

Pete
in Michigan

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you need to do the river bottom before laying track? Do they interact?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank & Pete. Mieke, I haven't trimmed the plywood edges of that module down to their final elevations yet. The river portion will be marked at exactly level and about 1/4" above the river bottom. Then I'll take it outside to cut - more room to work and less sawdust in the layout space. Once I've built the bulkheads and riverbank (if I've done it right), I'll be able to pour the Enviro-Tex river 'water' right up to that edge without drama.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  9:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good James! Great progress.

Mark

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure like the way those turnouts look.

Jim

Page: of 63 Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.57 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000