Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House
Page: of 63

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is progress James! Looking good.

Mark

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  11:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mark, James! Looking Good, and Progress is Progress!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  11:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mark and Pete. Between fruit season, firewood, home repairs, business and trolleys and their track, I haven't had many hours in the attic recently. But the HO scale track crew has been at work on the City Railroad:

The crew installing ties and ballast are approaching Water St. (but won't reach it till I build the peninsula's final module). I'm using a mix of Arizona Rock & Mineral 'Basalt', 'Black Cinders' and 'Yard Mix'.

Meanwhile, the rail gang is working on the runaround/yard where the City RR diverges from the main at Newburyport West. I have a lot of spikes to drive, but some hope of finishing this module's track this month. Rainy days will help, to the detriment of other projects, but I must keep to the sunny side...

Edited by - jbvb on 09/19/2017 11:38:32 PM

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  12:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, very nice.
ed

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  12:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, James! Congratulations!

My "Melon List" is similar to yours; hope to get moving indoors shortly....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  11:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ed and Pete. I haven't had a lot of time for track work recently, and the work itself was going very slowly: the most recent chunk of '1/4" pine lattice stock' turned out to be Southern Yellow Pine or something else too hard to spike into. I spent a number of evenings drilling absolutely necessary spike holes and hoping my first 'Weldwood' turnout works.

But then I took a break and completed the Eastern Route's 50th hand-laid turnout (my lifetime total is probably over 100 now). There's a lot of scenery and structures yet to be done, but I like the feel of this angle. Regardless of editing the top of the backdrop out of any photos.

The westbound local's crew is tying up for the evening rush on the City RR and going for beans. The stagger block shows High Green; a Portsmouth express is on the bell and the Newburyport draw tender has everything lined up.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  09:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good to me, James! This is "Capital 'P' Progress!"

As to the frontal system overhead, well... no worries. I can show you a similar view out my window right now.... The blue is out there... somewhere, but the grey layer has moved in on top....

Please keep us posted!

Pete
in Michigan

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  09:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

Very, very nice looking track work, and I love the low angle photo.

Take care,
Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  10:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete and Rob. It's been two weeks since I last looked over the forum, but in between cleaning, houseguests, travel and chivying contractors to show up and do what they promised, I did find some time to work on the layout. And I had a little help:

Namo is 9 years old and from Thailand. He asked what to do about a meat tray that my town doesn't recycle, so we tried out carving a wall a la Harsco (Rick). My jar of Modeler's Mortar had come adrift in the cleaning, so Namo did the mortar with a wash of white craft paint.

Here he's running the test train I've been keeping at Newburyport. The Amherst show souvenir cars are Plate C, the largest I expect will ever run in Downtown Newburyport.

The wall is more than 3 feet from anyone looking directly at it, and Namo's first effort looks pretty good for that purpose.

Not much will happen to the layout next week, as I'm going to the NER convention in Newport, RI (www.newport2017.org). And if I'm to have entries in the contest, they have to be gotten ready before Thursday.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  12:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That wall looks darn good! I do love the meat tray approach. It's tricky, but Namo nailed it! And good for you for getting him involved is such a project.

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  08:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  10:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job recruiting the "little folk".

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/03/2017 10:04:16 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  10:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good progress and a nicely done wall in the bargain! Hope Namo had a great time with this!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  12:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Looks like Namo is a good sport about being put to work. Very realistic.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Mark, Mike, Frank, Pete and Michael. I'm hoping Namo will get another chance to visit soon, but his school holidays don't match ours and it's a long, long trip.

Tour de Chooch is coming up and I've been pushing ahead on the Downtown Newburyport peninsula. It looks like I will have the waterfront module framed and maybe its roadbed installed, but the end-of-track will be at High St.

The track is powered past the end of the run-around, but I put off the switch mechanism for more generally visible work:

As usual, given the Tour's traditional timing, I will have to bracket Thanksgiving with a lot of cleaning both upstairs and downstairs.

Page: of 63 Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000