Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House
Page: of 63

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  9:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a nice visit it was, James!

Your description fits things nicely; the trick is to juggle Perfect with Progress to Pretty Good with Good Enough. And Rule One appears in there somewhere as well: "Because it's MY Railroad. That's why!"

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit, am now stoked to head home and make Actual Progress and am trying to figure out ways to do so before Life intervenes yet again....

Keep the inspirational photos coming!

Pete
in Michigan
but not right now

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 06/25/2017 9:51:59 PM

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  10:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Even In N. H., it's got to be fairly hot. I would not consider doing that in Florida.
My buddy Carl Laskey live up your way. Great country. I am from Pa..
ed

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  10:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, the trackwork looks great!

The search for the correct color cinders is interesting. I wonder if there is a regional aspect with cinders. As a kid in Chicago, the Chicago Alderman used to do the neighborhood a favor and have cinders delivered to the alleys to cover the dirt and mud. Those cinders were almost coffee ground colored. The elementary school playground would receive the same cinders. None of that sissy chopped up tire stuff for us! I think the cinders came from the coal fired power plants and they had a glass like texture to them.

Jim

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  11:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim & Pete.

Ed, Friday was fairly hot but Seashore needed track work. Thursday I'd helped make hay: driving the baler, unloading, catching bales in the wagon. I deal with heat pretty well. I expect my layout to be on the 2017 Tour de Chooch, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, if Carl or other friends of yours are interested.

Jim, industrial cinders around here would be mostly VA and PA bituminous, with anthracite from small-medium building heat. In Chicago, I expect most of the coal came from IL, IN and KY mines, which I recall as being having more ash, sulfur etc. I know lignite is also known as 'brown coal' but not where coal from this basin lies in the overall range of coals.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  07:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress!
Mike as far as "I'm with Mark; the train room is a refuge from the heat during the height of summer." that's true I guess for those of you lucky enough to have a summer. Here in southwestern NC it's 47 this morning with a high today of 65 and only getting slightly warmer over the next week.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  08:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, I really like the look of your ballasted track. Very nice work.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  08:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

The search for the correct color cinders is interesting. I wonder if there is a regional aspect with cinders. As a kid in Chicago, the Chicago Alderman used to do the neighborhood a favor and have cinders delivered to the alleys to cover the dirt and mud. Those cinders were almost coffee ground colored. The elementary school playground would receive the same cinders. None of that sissy chopped up tire stuff for us! I think the cinders came from the coal fired power plants and they had a glass like texture to them.

Jim

And they were sharp and embedded deeply. I still can show the scars. The good old days

TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Pittsburgh, they used to use crushed slag instead of sand on the streets, until that was outlawed because of the water pollution that caused. I remember getting some of those in my knees, probably toxic there, too. Oh well, I'm not dead yet! (Anyone else remember seeing asbestos insulation in his school's boiler room? We were sent there to clean erasers.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  9:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike & Bruce. Dave, I've seen plenty of asbestos insulation on furnaces, pipes and elsewhere. I've also seen weird tannery wastes poured out at the smoldering dump, biggish rivers running odd colors and a day when you could only see 5 blocks down Alameda from LAUPT in the smog. Don't miss any of it.

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  12:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I'm 74, and I remember the asbestos. But I was not sent to the boiler room to clean erasers.
ed

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Dave,
I'm 74, and I remember the asbestos. But I was not sent to the boiler room to clean erasers.
ed

I guess we know who was and was not naughty :-) :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  11:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fairpoint, my ISP, just got gobbled up by Consolidated Communications. The name sounds like a modern-day Monopoly spot...Monday my connection was down, so I called and went through the tests they wanted, to no avail. 50 hours later they got a tech to my house. Who knew the territory and the plant: after 5 minutes of phone fiddling, drove 2 miles down the road and power-cycled a box. All fixed by less than 15 minutes of actual effort.

So while the internet couldn't gobble up too much of my time, I worked on the Pond St. spur:

Happily, I'd made extra slide switch brackets and acrylic connector blocks last run, so it was just assembling parts. I will have to buy an acorn nut to make the knob, but otherwise it's working.

And of course I had to do a ceremonial 'first switch'. Despite having the net as a distraction, I'm determined to start roadbed for the City RR spur before month's end.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  10:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is always interesting to see all the variations of the slide switch manual controls for turnouts. That looks pretty cool with the acrylic connector.

Chuck

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  11:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James , lots of interesting progress since my last look see, good inspiration for my new layout which went to a grounding halt when it looked like nice riding weather was about to arrive here in Northern Ontario, seems like its been rain every second day since.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  08:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lynn and Chuck. The acrylic block has 2-56 tapped holes for the adjusting screws.

In between trolley operations, harvesting grain and tending my orchard, I've made some progress on the City RR side of the Downtown Newburyport peninsula:

The 2nd module's carpentry is finished except for one piece of hardboard fascia. Building the roadbed out of 1.25" pine lattice stock is much easier with a good miter saw handy. I will have a tricky job laying out the westerly turnout on the runaround to maximize length, but I hope to start tracklaying next week.

Page: of 63 Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000