Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House
Page: of 63

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  10:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark & Pete. Frank, I started with all the circa-1800 structures that were on the 6-milker dairy farm my grandparents bought in 1919; my wood shop was originally a woodshed, eventually my grandfather's first garage in the 1930s. My mother wrote 1946 in the new cement floor. It is neither heated nor mosquito-proof, but I can make unlimited sawdust as long as I'm fast on my feet.

Edited by - jbvb on 05/16/2017 12:09:38 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  10:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Great History, James! Stand tall, and don't slip on the sawdust!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  10:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cinder ballast thoughts? My Downtown Newburyport peninsula is ready for ballasting. I really liked Highball Products limestone 'Cinders', but they closed a few years ago.

1. I've got Woodland Scenics 'Cinders' on hand; it's really too black at the outset, but I've been mixing in a little Gray and Brown to temper it and provide the 'clinkers' I recall from hanging around the tracks. In the long term, it will bleach a bit and accumulate dust and look OK.

2. Arizona Rock & Mineral has a wide range, but their website photos are plastic-bagged product under what appears to be fluorescent light. Can anyone point me at better photos?

3. Scenic Express offers 'Dark Gray' stone, but again the photos don't give me a lot of confidence about what I'd actually get.

4. Walthers has a 'Genuine Limestone' ballast from Bachmann, but Google doesn't seem to know of any other colors. Any experience?

If I buy a stone product that turns out too black in my 5000 K lighting, I can lighten it with gray beach sand or sanded grout. If it's too light, I'm not sure what I could do.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  11:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I recall (my stuff is still buried in boxes in the basement) the AZ Rock cinders look pretty good. And it would be easy to tone them down a bit if they're too black for your tastes. Put some in a baggie with wood ash and shake until you like the result :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  12:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Lance Mindheim mentions the Arizona products on his blog. You might try to ask him if he has experience with their cinders. This is one of his recommendations: "1221 Steam era yard mix N scale (very useful off black color)"

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 05/24/2017 12:49:52 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2017 :  08:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike and Dave. My order from AZ Rock & Mineral took about 5 days to arrive:

Left to right, #122-2 HO Yard Mix, #122-1 N Yard Mix, #103-1 N Cinders. Existing ballast on Rowley is a stone 'cinders' product I bought in 1988 or '89, vendor long gone but I like the effect. Illumination is my layout's 'daylight' fluorescents. The AZ Cinders aren't as dark as I expected, and have a reddish cast which the limestone doesn't. Not unrealistic, but different.

Limestone 'cinders' (could be Highball, could be the older bag) on the left, Woodland Scenics Fine Cinders with WS brown & gray mix-ins on the right. Both tempered by 7 years of dust.

On the progress front, since my computer drawing doesn't match real life exactly, I drew the track plan out full size on cardboard. It will become baseboard templates fairly soon, weather and events allowing.

I'll hot-glue the cardboard sheets together and build the two modules, then trim it and turn it into plywood.

The West of State St. module's profile board will get trimmed after its module is fitted.

I frequented the Pond St. RoW around 1970, 18 years after the track was removed. I don't recall much there but sand; it was cut 20-30 feet deep through a glacial moraine. I ballasted my Pond St. spur with a combination of AZ Yard Mix, Cinders and Hampton Beach sand. Once I start landforms, I may dust it with a little 'house cellar dirt' for the yellowish color of glacial till in this area.

And of course, once there was rail and enough spikes, there had to be a first run.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2017 :  09:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

I think all your track work looks very realistic. I like what you have been able to do with all the ballast products, even WS, which a lot of people look down on as not being actual rock.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/10/2017 09:34:48 AM

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  10:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  8:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ballast is bad (like real good dude).
It has the look I have been seeking. Nice work.
ed

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  4:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Michael, Mieke, Ed. The early part of this week was hot enough I was working on track in the early morning. The scrapes on the ties are from the piece of hacksaw blade I reopened the frog's flangeways with. I'll touch the whole business up after the mechanism is working.

Today cooler, cloudy weather motivated me to cut the rest of the parts for the 2nd module, the westerly part of the City Railroad:

Nothing in the forecast looks even remotely like haying weather; I may get it assembled to the point where the roadbed can be cut before the sun returns.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is Good, James! Keep inspiring me!

Pete
in Michigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  12:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And they say our modeling efforts slow down in the summer. I think not! Thank goodness for hot weather, right James! I know it's nice and cool in my basement. Great progress!

Mark

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  12:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm with Mark; the train room is a refuge from the heat during the height of summer. Having guilt-free time building layout is a summer bonus.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  10:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete, Mark, Michael, but my attic is usually the hottest part of the house in summer. That's why I was up there at 7 this morning, assembling the frame of the 1st City RR. module and thinking of a long-ago issue of Model Railroader:

Bill Clouser was a well-known O scale traction modeler in the '70s. He was also a pioneer manufacturer of resin trolley kits. He wrote that he typically went to bed early and got up before dawn. In those quiet, cool hours the phone didn't ring and the distractions of the day didn't keep him from his work.

I cut the blocks for the left end joints last night, but I need to re-cut the short straight bit of profile board on the side facing Rowley. But I also have a photography project to complete before month's end, which will require cleaning up the area. So I'll finish framing today.

I can always take a structure or equipment project downstairs where the thermal mass of the chimney keeps things cool, but I'm not sure how much I'll get done before my next trip.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  9:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since I got that assembled, my hobby time has gone to cleaning up the layout area for the photography project: Another forum had organized a "Franklin & South Manchester Traveling Hopper Car" which made a trip or two around my layout. Photos here:

http://modelersforum.com/the-official-fsm-layout-thread!/the-franklin-south-manchester-traveling-hopper-car/345/

RR-Line has had traveling freight cars but I don't think any have been organized in the past 4-5 years.

Happily, I got double duty out of my cleanup: Pete (OrionVP17) stopped by this morning and we spent a while looking over the Eastern Route while discussing planning, building, the AP and the potential of Perfect vs. progress toward Pretty Good.

Page: of 63 Topic Next Topic: Scratch Building an Icing Platform and Ice House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000