Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Quebec central Topic Next Topic: Tuxedo Daves Formal Wear & Chainsaw Sharpening
Page: of 33

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  8:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  12:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks real good to me. I'd like to see a few more photos. Do you make your own ties? What are you gluing them down with?

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted a few pictures of this project to "Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track" over in the Model Railroad Construction forum, and the Rowley modules are on my site: http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/gallery/index.html The southwest corner has a bunch of structures, but they aren't in finished scenery yet. I'll post a panoramic shot or two over the weekend.

Ties in this area are a mix of Campbell Profile, home-made and Mt. Albert Scale Lumber, glued to homasote with yellow carpenter's glue. I use the tie jig/tape process, but usually hand-place switch ties.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  9:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tonight I ran the first train onto the West Lynn section. But before I it got far, I had to recharge the Train Engineer's batteries. Still...

Because I had the photofloods out, I also shot the area around the Bexley engine terminal (just east of the Bexley Tunnel, which substitutes for Salem and its Salem Tunnel, which I hadn't room to model).

Looking timetable East, the body of the yard disappears in amongst the house's frame timbers.

Timetable West, towards the tunnel. The structures are commercial kits, minimally customized. Turntable and ash host are Walthers. Yard office is the BEST Salisbury Point Station kit. Visible track is handlaid code 83.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  09:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, you're making good progress on your layout too. I need to get my butt in gear and finish the basement so I can play too.

As you think, so will you be.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
James,

It looks like you have a great layout there and great progress to date. Looking forward to seeing further progress on your empire.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  4:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, James! Great to see another B&M'er on the forum. Love those buggies!

All the best, Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com
http://bostonandmaine.blogspot.com
http://fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  7:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Buggies are brass from Overland (wood 104600 series) and Alco (steel NE-5 type), my paint, thanks.

Ian_MacMillan
New Hire

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ian_MacMillan's Homepage  Send Ian_MacMillan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty good Jim!

Conrail's Amoskeag Northern in N Scale
www.amoskeagnorthern.com

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  10:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I'm just getting caught up with this thread. Your modules are terrific. You did a great job of creating the look and feel of rural farm country. It makes a nice setting for photographs of your rolling stock.

It'll be interesting to watch your progress on the layout.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  7:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

There are about 2000 new ties in this picture, maybe 1/8 cut down from Mt. Albert's 16 footers. I'm looking at the wood in the kindling bucket and thinking I prefer the Campbell Profile Tie approach, where theirs are over 20 scale feet long, so both sides of most cuts are usable. I'm using .0125" Homa-Bed to raise the main and middle siding above the running tracks and GE plant, and it's a joy to work with. Next time I might buy his shims rather than sanding my own.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Hub Division Modular Group's container got packed Saturday, and I don't see my Rowley modules until April 14 (setup for Intermodellbau in Dortmund). So Sunday I finally got back to West Lynn. I had gotten the ties above stained and ballasted, and now I've spiked enough rail so I need another couple thousand MicroEngineering spikes. Won't be worth a photo until I get into the switches for the Middle track, though.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you are making good progress..

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  12:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work James, keep the photos coming!!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  9:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I've finished a couple of switches and the first train has run as far as the West Lynn "middle" track switches. Another couple packs of joiners, spikes and a bundle of rail are on the way (via the LHS, not internettrains.com, thanks).

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James, your making great progress! If that E unit, the cars, the track work and ballasting is any indication of your talents, we're in for a big treat as you continue to progress! Nicely done!!!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: The Quebec central Topic Next Topic: Tuxedo Daves Formal Wear & Chainsaw Sharpening  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000