Railroad Line Forums - Harrisburg Terminal Railroad (HTRR)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Harrisburg Terminal Railroad (HTRR)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My Layout... Topic Next Topic: Birth of a Harbour - HO Scale
Page: of 117

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  1:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After being continually proded and poked by Mark F and Steam Nut, I'm going to post a few pics of the layout I've been building (allegedly) for 22 years, The Harrisburg Terminal Railroad.

A fictious subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad, the HTRR primary serves the industrial needs of Harrisburg,Pennsylvania...more specifically the Harrisburg Steel Corporation (HARSCO) integrated steel mill. In rough terms, the PRR main splits when it enters Harrisburg; the two westerly ones are the passenger mains (not modeled) and the two easterly ones then comprise the HTRR. Here's a diagram to explain the premise:

The concept is a blend of reality and model's license..there REALLY is a HARSCO, a very old iron and steel manufacturer which specialized in railroad track components as well as pipe products, although their physical plant wasn't anything like I'm modeling it to be. I'm also modeling a fictious "branch" to serve the needs of Commonwealth Coke and Chemical. The visible portion of the layout ends right as the passenger and freight main reunite just before Rockville. In theory, the HTRR would see a lot of through freights from Philly, Northumberland, Pittsburgh, and other points and will be served from the vast Enola Yard complex just across the Susquehanna.

The layout skirts the perimeter of my basement which used to be a semi-finished den/playroom for the kids (to show you how long it's taken me to get this point, my youngest is 23...it's been THAT long). About two-thirds of it are in the main room, with the balance going through my workshop...ie: "Staging Room", the site of the Steam Nut Memorial Box Beam Bridge that carries the main behind my heater and hot water heater.

Only one segement - the initial steel mill segment (3 x 22) - ever approached completion for thr past 21 years; I've finally gotten to the point of having the time, resources and two very determined, harrassing friends to complete the "loop". Here's a shot of the original section:

The entire section shown is HARSCO related: blast furnace, open hearth furnace, electric furnace, ingot stripper, mineral dock, inbound/outbound yard, and even a little HARSCO loco servicing area.

More as I transfer them....

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  1:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of shots of the HARSCO portion:

South end of open hearth:

Ingot stripping area:

Hot metal or "bottle" car being positioned for loading at the blast furnace:

The electric furnace building:

Mold prep area:

Mineral dock or "highline" to service the blast furnace:

Blast furnace:

Overhead shot of HARSCO yard:

Picture I staged (cause nothing was running) entitled "Hot Pull":

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  2:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking layout, Rick. It looks like you have plenty of switching opportunities.

George

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  3:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kudos to Mark F and Steam Nut to push you into posting pictures. Nice job on the layout. I especially like the steel mill. I would like one on my layout but available space won't permit it. A nice job. Thanks for posting...

Bob

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  3:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, glad to see you finally got some pics posted here, although they don't do your modeling justice!

I know there are a lot of people here interested in steel modeling. Rick is a great source of information!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  6:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Say this wouldn't happen to be in the Kiski River Valley would it? I have a friend that is modeling the Kiski Valley area and grew up there.

Very nice looking railroad.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  7:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The layout looks great. Post photos of it anytime, we enjoy looking at them!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  10:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures and layout, Rick!

How do you like that Fairbanks-Morse switcher - does it run good? I've been thinking about getting one of those.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  06:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al..my FM's are from the original issues by Walthers....ten years ago maybe and feature a Roco mechanism. One of them gave me fits and smoked the 1 amp decoder that Mark F had installed. As a result, we installed a 2 amp unit and it works fine, although Steam Nut recently upgraded a third one I've kept stored and he says it shouldn't have needed it. Maybe it was a mechanical problem.

To answer your question, both run well (now) and I have no complaints with performance.

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  11:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great looking layout Rick. Please post more photos!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

rtbaron
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  06:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick....great job....was wondering how you did the concrete pads under the loading area.
Absolutely fantastic...thanks

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  09:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rick.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  5:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The concrete pad for the stripper area was good ole spackling compound, something I'd never do again because of the mess and flangeway issue.

Here's a few more pics:

South entrance to open hearth:

Scrap processing entrance and office

Future Commonwealth Coke and Chemical site:

I have other "under construction" pics, but don;t think they'd be that interesting...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  7:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I have other "under construction" pics, but don;t think they'd be that interesting... "

Oh yes they would!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  11:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok...here's the "unfinished" portion of the room prior to erecting the penisula benchwork; notice that the original layout was already built on top of the bookcases but never saw any trackwork

Here it is with the penisula built:

To the left of the penisula, across an aisle, is the future Commonwealth Coke and Chemical section built against the basement steps:

On the other side of the steps, walled off from the main room, is my workshop...where the main will hug the walls and loop back to the other side of the room to connect to the original section. Here's the first of four sections being assembled by Steam Nut, Joe H, and Mark:

This is where the main disappears behind the heater/hot water heater and traverses the Steam Nut Modern Marvel Memorial Bridge that started this posting:

Here's the penisula area with backdrop installed; it's .060 sheet styrene purchased from a local plastic supplier as a 4 x 8 sheet and cut to fit:

And last for the night, the penisula end showing the valance, made of the same .060 styrene:

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  01:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick, you need to either correct the date on your camera, or better yet, turn it off! Good pics though. We've made a lot of progress, haven't we?

Mark

Page: of 117 Previous Topic: My Layout... Topic Next Topic: Birth of a Harbour - HO Scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000