Railroad Line Forums - Chambers Point - O Scale Lighthouse
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Chambers Point - O Scale Lighthouse
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Article on 3d printer Open Source project Topic Next Topic: A Pumphouse
Page: of 17

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  11:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, nice job on laying out the roof, but what I really liked was you showing how you stained your shingles. Nice!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  12:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, what I didnt mention in the previous 'colouring' post is....

I squirt puddles of black and white paint on the desk. Using the same brush go between the two with a dip in a jar of water inbetween applications to make it more of a wash than a paint, this also keeps the two colours more blended. At certain points I needed to stop and wait for a little drying time, or dry the brush off on an old rag as it can get too wet. Quick, simple and easily reproduced. And it doesnt look too bad either, I think.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  12:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Funny how somethings just jump out at you the minute you post them for all to see.....

Somehow in the middle of my random shingle roof is a row of perfectly aligned shingles, I noticed it as soon as I posted my previous reply to Rick.

No real problem as I had just replaced my exacto blade so I simply shortened several of the offending 'lined-up' shingles to make them random.

The roof still needs graining, drybrushing, chalks etc so the new cut edges will be hidden further on through the process.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  05:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shingles, Karl, and your randomization of this straight line was made in a very efficient way. It suggests that making sturdy subroofs may be very useful sometimes.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  07:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, excellant shingle work and good coloring also. How are you going to grain your shingles once theyare installed?

Mark

W,L,&E

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  10:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I realised that the reason for the straight section of shingles in the midst of all the random ones was infact due to the fact I had also coloured a sheet of the Rusty Stumps straight shingles (to be used on an addition building in Gillespies) at the same time as I was colouring the random sheets, i inadvertantly used a section of strip from the wrong sheet, that'll teach me for having three projects on the desk at once....

Inbetween, work, cooking, laundry, eating, etc.... the shingling got completed apart from the ridgecaps.

The ridgecaps will be completed along with the top of the tower in the next 'work period' on the Point, for now though it sits back on the newly cleaned and organised 'orfan shelf' for a few days while I dig into one of the other things I have been really looking forward to start.

At some point soon I need to make some higher shelves as only a few of the O scale structures fit between the 12" high ones, especially if I do a diorama or add a tree.....

Thanks for reading, more 'soon'

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/15/2009 10:49:42 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  10:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I will add the graining by doing many, many slices with an exacto knife, it doesnt take that long and I like the look, especially after a light drybrushing. I'll post when its done.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/15/2009 10:44:16 PM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  10:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I remember this thread from Jan 08!

Glad to see ya back at it. IMHO...This is your finest contribution. I really like this structure!

Philip

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  10:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your very kind comments Philip, I liked the structure as soon as I saw it.

quote:
Originally posted by Philip

I remember this thread from Jan 08!

Gee thanks for reminding me, that's almost two years ago, and yet, some have said that I am quick at this modelling game.....

Karl.A

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  12:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love that shot of the orphan shelf!

What happened to the HO layout, did you pull that apart in the end?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  7:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon, it looks much better now its cleared off and dusted...

The layout is still taking up one half of the garage, gathering cobwebs and dust, untouched since April/May whenever it was, except of course when I need a place to set down a tool or item of junk or anything else, so it became a big freestanding, in the way 'shelf', loaded with all sorts of 'stuff', for now.

Karl.A

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  12:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice fix on the shingles. There are a lot of shake roofs around these parts and if you look close youwill notice the same issue in the 1:1 world. The difference is that they never get fixed.

Very appealing structure!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  02:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Tim, sorry for the late reply I've had my head stuck in 1:1 work and the rigging shed for the past 3 or four days.

Karl.A

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  10:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, the color of the shingles is 'dead on.' Those look just like the cedar shingles that used to be on my 1:1 roof. After 20 years they were that same weathered gray and gray-black.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Karl, that is some collection of O-scale builds! Beautiful! I've resorted to doing the same thing with the structures I am building for my future layout with the only difference, mine are in HO! The diorama I am currently working on will eat up six structures in total, some small, some big and some backdrop flats. Now, I won't be able to place the diorama on a shelf, it'll go on a dresser top down in my crew lounge. Once again, great modelling in that larger scale!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Article on 3d printer Open Source project Topic Next Topic: A Pumphouse  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000