Railroad Line Forums - Shapes From Matboard Cutters
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 60 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: Katie360 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Shapes From Matboard Cutters
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Uncle Matts Pawnshop Topic Next Topic: Prototype construction questions (siding)  

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of building a "concrete" bridge. After looking at several photos, I found that many designs had "panels" that were indented with 45 degree bevels where the layering joins. This may not be clear, but once you see the photos, hopefully it will be more clear.

The bridge walls are solid rectangles that will require making a form for the plaster to be poured in. They also have the appearance of having a "frame" around the edge. This is because the "panel" portion is not as thick and angles into the other thickness at a 45 degree angle. The first photo shows a scetch of the sides of the bridge and hopeully will clear the confusion.

So when making the rectangle box form, I needed a way to make these indentions (with 45 degree angles) in the forms. The solution is using a computerized matboard cutter.

While, what I am doing on this project may be unclear, my point is that your local picture framing shop may provide you with an inexpensive source for building material. The equipment I use in the factory here is industrial grade and would not be found in a local frame shop. However, most large shops now have an affordable unit they use for retail traffic. By taking matboard scraps, they can key in any measurements and make repeat cuts (with or without the angle).

In my current project, the pieces in the photo will be positioned in the forms so that the plaster will fill in around them. When the forms are removed, I will peal out matboard blanks and my angled "panels" will be poured into the plaster.

I have also used the cutter to cut 1/2" circles for Coke "button" sign mounts. I can also see a use here for making panels for HO and O scale store fronts. So, if you have a large local frame shop in your area, they may be willing to cut whatever you need from scraps. One note: the frame shop may refer to this equipment as a "Wizard", which is a brand name. Danny

Here are a couple of photos of some panels:

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  1:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny,

Thanks for the tip / info. I haven't been to the shop for a while. I must drop in to see if they have modernized. Our shop has been very generous in giving me scraps of different color matting that work well in "0" scale.

Tom M.

Previous Topic: Uncle Matts Pawnshop Topic Next Topic: Prototype construction questions (siding)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000