Railroad Line Forums - Lightmanns Army & Navy in O scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Lightmanns Army & Navy in O scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Are pewter castings workable Topic Next Topic: Repeatable Cutting Tool
Page: of 8

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  09:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, excellent modeling and photography. Well done.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  3:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.

The tar was simulated using latex caulk, this is available in a variety of colours, I used the black. It is great as an adhesive, gap-filler and tar substitute. I place a small blob on the piece that needs placing, either a chimney stack, roof vents or billboards and press the item into place, it will fill any gaps and a small amount will ooze out, this can be tidied up and manipulated with a toothpick, the stuff is very tacky and will hold the item in place imediately till it dries, another good thing is that its about $2 per tube.
It can also be applied along a roof seam with a small paint brush or tooth pick as I did on part of my Shelby's below.

Regards,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/24/2008 3:59:10 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  4:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the explanation, Karl. In what area of a store do you find this kind of caulk?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It will be in the paint section of a hardware/DIY store Frederic, or in a paint store.

Regards
Karl.A

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  4:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Another great build, can't wait to see what you will tackle next.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  4:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Karl, I really like the newsstand. Pity 'that' billboard poster doesn't fit the period.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  5:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ron and Barry,

Once I have the wording for the correct billboard I'll stick it on Barry, I'm sure the other one will find a home on another diorama, somewhere.

Regards
Karl.A

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  9:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work by both Karl's....

Wonderful design overall....

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  8:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Belated thanks for your kind words Mario...

A couple of things have really been bugging me about this build since I did it almost three years ago, I've sat and looked at it all that time and always found a reason not to do what was needed......

This will be tonights "One thing a day... "

Firstly, I never built the dormer that goes on the main roof, cant remember why originally, but, the reason for not adding it afterwards is the fact of removing some shingles for a nice fit, sounds like a real poor excuse when I read it back.

Secondly, the wood trim around the main sign was never added, reason being the sign is 1/32" too big and I would need to reprint it, as I dont have the sign on this comp anyway I'm just gonna frame it as is.

Third, stick the yellow signs on properly instead of with the double sided tape I originally used as a temporary measure three years ago!

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 11/21/2010 9:02:15 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  6:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very reasonable program, Karl. I like very much this building, probably because of the nice combination of rustic wood and more fancy shapes and color scheme.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  07:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl, you can't change it too much after I made the copy of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding.

It truely is a great structure and you have done it justice.
Keep up the fantastic work.
Cheers,
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  9:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for 'checking in' Frederic and Bob, much appreciated.

I did do my 'things for the day' although I did them over two evenings.
No major changes Bob, just some finishing off.

Friday I removed and then glued the yellow signs on properly. Then I cut stained and applied the trim around the main red sign.

Saturday(last night) I made the dormer and then marked and removed the shingles.
I have a jar with the spare windows I make during each scratchbuild, a quick sort through resulted in the spare window for this build.

Next I glued the dormer in place, added the flashing and then replaced the shingles in their new positions.

Unfortunately I was 'two shingles short of a full roof' !! .

However, after 10 minutes under the desk with a flashlight I re-surfaced with three matching shingles in hand, job done!

Karl.A

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  9:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl, I'm so glad you've come back to this project as it's given me the opportunity to see your scratchbuild from a few years back that I missed. What a great job you have done and it only looks better with your recent changes! Bravo on a job well done!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  9:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the dormer, Karl. It looks like itís been there all along.

George

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  9:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for your post and kind comments Mike.

It sure is nice to look at it on the shelf now and know that it is finished (structurally), although the dormer will take some getting used to after seeing it without for three years, I do like it better though.

Karl.A

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Are pewter castings workable Topic Next Topic: Repeatable Cutting Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000