Railroad Line Forums - Lightmanns Army & Navy in O scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: ghostvet ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Lightmanns Army & Navy in O scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Are pewter castings workable Topic Next Topic: Repeatable Cutting Tool
Page: of 8

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  2:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, thanks so much for the info. Do you have a special way you cut all your siding so nicely? I don't really see any reference lines on your structure how do you keep your siding progressing so evenly? Thanks Pat

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  4:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I'm just catching up on your progress and it's absolutely outstanding! I do love your approach, with foam core as the base and build up from there. Very, very nice job!

Mark

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, I started the roof earlier, time for a ten minute break so here's my progress so far.

I know, I know, I need to get some decent lighting.

Regards,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/20/2008 10:07:28 PM

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent built Karl, I particularly like your shopfront window and the signage "Lightmann's Army & Navy" etc. Amazing individual piece shingle roofing as well.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  02:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice roof, Karl. That's quite an army of shingles! How do you make them?

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff Karl. For the interior you could have the shop being refitted. A few ladders, paint buckets and rollers and a painting crew on a tea break should do the trick

Tony

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  07:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I like the looks of that roof.

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  08:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress karl. Such an imaginative use of materials as well.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  08:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Interesting build, it's a great model and I'm sure it will be a standout where ever you put it. Thanks for explaining how you did the wall, I would have never thought about using poster board, but it's a perfect material for modeling clapboard siding.

I to would like to know how you made the shingles, they look great and I happen to be building a building that could use shingles like that.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  09:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl:

Looks good. Keep the photos flowing. It looks like it's quite a project.

Karl S.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  03:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.
The structure is basically finished now, just some dry brushing on the trim, doors and windows, some roof details (which are drying as I type and finally adding all the magazines/newspapers to the stand.

( I found a great site for these by the way, if you just put in a year at the search box at the bottom of the page and it will bring up a bunch of images for that year, magazine covers, movie posters, product ads, etc. I didnt look around much more than grabbing some 1936-1939 magazine covers but it looks like a great site for period images.)
http://www.gono.com/adart/new/bc_year_new.php?page=1&cat_id=1&company=Good%20Housekeeping

Pat, if its OK I'll detail the siding question during my next new build in a day or so, it will be easier to take photos and explain as I go.

Frederic/Ron, I did the shingles the same way as I did the ones for the O Scale CSS07 kit, the process is detailed in that thread in the scratchbuilding forum, I'll find the link and post it tomorrow for you. This is the third structure in a row that I have done individual shingles on, the next one will definately have either a corrugated or tarpaper roof.

Tony, I like the idea of a paintcrew (I'm a painter) to minimise the required detailing, I'll see what I come up with.

OK heres the pics, if I get it finished tomorrow I'll take it outside for some better lighting.

I know, I know, they didnt have the wonderbra billboards in the '30s, it's just temporary till I do the real one.

Karl.S could you post a picture of the big billboard for me so I can see it? it would be much appreciated.

Regards
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/22/2008 03:14:29 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  03:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very, very nice, Karl. A beautiful building, and a big one, considering its size and that of the bottle behind it.
I was about to ask about the girl on the billboard, but it doesn't seem necessary...
Thanks for the info about the shingles and for the promised link.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  03:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite billboard.

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  07:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl...that looks really good. Great job...look forward to seeing the finished product.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  08:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl:

You mean the one on the roof? From the pictures looks to me like you captured it perfectly.

Karl S.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Are pewter castings workable Topic Next Topic: Repeatable Cutting Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000