Railroad Line Forums - Lightmanns Army & Navy in O scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 210 ]  [ Newest Member: volare71 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Lightmanns Army & Navy in O scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Are pewter castings workable Topic Next Topic: Repeatable Cutting Tool
Page: of 8

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/15/2008 11:58:37 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  08:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I like how you get right to the point.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
After seeing Karl S's completed build of another great looking FOS kit for the first time yesterday I decided I needed one for my sea port town. Plenty of structural variety and a nice big size too.

I spent several hours last night working on the calculations and measurements and when I woke up this morning I went to work on measuring, marking and cutting out the sub walls. These are temporarily held together with double sided tape to ensure everything fit together and looked about right.

Next task will be bracing those large walls and then either making the many doors and windows or cutting all the strips for the siding.

Either way it will have to wait until later today hopefully when I get home from work.

Regards,
Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  08:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should be another nice one, Karl. The shape of the structure seems pleasantly complicate.

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  2:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good start. I too have been tempted to make a copy of this building. Are you working in O gauge?

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  11:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, yes Christopher it is O scale.

I may not be as quick as Karl.S but progress is progress. One wall almost done, time for some weathering and more board lifting.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/16/2008 12:00:57 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  02:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking wall, Karl. Again, you've made some fabulous signs. Were the awnings computer made?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  05:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, yes the awnings are made on the computer, printed out and attached to a basic frame, I also printed the pattern on the reverse side of the paper so that if you look up into the awning the pattern is there like it would be on printed fabric and not just plain white.

The front shop window and doorway....... Why is it that any SLIGHT but crucial calculatory oversights on my part wait until this stage in the subassembly construction before they make themselves apparent ????

Oh well I went ahead and primed it anyway hoping I'll figure out a solution before I need to build another one.

Karl.A

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  06:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, the wall, signs and awnings look very good. I haven't finished my morning coffee and I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but what's wrong with the front door and window?

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Karl! That store front is amazing. Beautiful scratchbuild despite your alleged "mistake".

--Rich B.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  06:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, but as you can see from Karl.S's view of the front wall the upper story above the window sits INSIDE the corner posts.

Whereas the lower section extends out the full width to the side walls. Unfortunately I made the lower section the same width as the upper wall using the top wall as a guide without realising my error till too late.

I'll just have to rebuild the section The smaller one could be used on a future build of something else I guess.... oh well, live and learn.

Regards
Karl.A

"Measure once, cut twice, start again"

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  07:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich much appreciated, hopefully the next one will look just as good AND be the right size !

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  07:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the mistake, Karl, but like Rich I think you've made a very beautiful front. The second one will be even better...

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Karl. Couldn't you try slicing a little off of each side of the top wall? Or would that get the windows too close to the edge?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  07:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, I hope so. Its a posibility Rick that also crossed my mind, but I think it would change the look too much. Another 'fix' would be to bring the corner posts all the way down and have the lower walls inside them also, but again it would change the overall look. I guess its just one of those things that if I know its wrong then every time I look at it it will bug me and I'll wish I had fixed it when I had the chance. I've been there a few times in the past and I've learned (the hard way) that I may as well just go ahead and redo it now while its easy enough or I'll never be happy with it, know what I mean?

Karl.A

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Are pewter castings workable Topic Next Topic: Repeatable Cutting Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000