Railroad Line Forums - CM "Leadville House" done in brick
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 CM "Leadville House" done in brick
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ed Fulasz Gas Station Topic Next Topic: Old Barn Details  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  9:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the old Classic Miniatures "Leadville House," done with brick rather than wood siding.

I constructed the sub-walls using the Nehrich scribe, snap, and re-glue technique, and then laminated The N Scale Architect brick siding. Floors and roofs are styrene cut from dimensions of the original CM cardboard masters. Right now the foundation, the walls, the mansard section, its roof, and the cupola assembly are not glued together. (I'm thinking about adding lighting.) The roof is the original cardboard cutouts, and frankly they didn't come together quite perfectly. Someone should re-do this kit in laser-cut wood...

The double-door was constructed from a pair of Grandt castings with the window frame constructed from strip styrene. The brick was first primed with white, then makeup-sponge painted with a brick color, then lightly weathered with hard pastels/chalks. Trim is burnt umber and raw sienna (artist acrylics). The foundation has a similar technique, with an A&I wash. The roofing is Builders in Scale octagonal shingles. The base color is a dark blue, with applications of washes and chalks. The tower green slates were done with chalks over an olive base, the porch green slates were done over a brighter green. The porch was primed with Floquil primer. Then I applied some oak stain, drybrushed a couple of shades of brown, did an A&I wash, and finished with some shades of brown chalk.

There's a stained glass transom over the double doors, this comes from an image I found on the Internet, printed on old overhead transparency stock I had laying around. It's a bit washed out, but with some backlighting it'll show up better. The blinds are post-it notes and the curtains are teabags.

I also deviated a bit from the door/window arrangement. On my layout, this represents the office/counting house for my mill area. In those pre-OSHA days, a single entrance represented an additional control. I imagineered the office layout, the safe is against the right-hand wall behind what I expect to be the primary office area.

Although I can see many faults (there's nothing like a photo to show you where they all are), I'm generally pleased with the results. This kit took a lot of work, and most of it was trying to get the mansard to look right, plus of course the Victorian paint scheme. I figure I have at least 20 hours in this baby. But it's in a show-off location on the layout so I don't begrudge the time (and it was fun to play with pastel chalks for slate roof weathering, too.)

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  11:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent job, Dave!
Just today, at a train show, I was trying to convince someone how nice some of those old kits can be, if they are built well, with maybe some substitution of modern materials. This is exactly what I meant.
Some day, I'll get around to building my Scale Structures Victorian Train Station. The architectural detail castings are gorgeous, but I'll be replacing the pressed cardboard walls with embossed plastic. Like you, I'll use the old walls for templates.

Lance

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  01:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, a bit odd with the change of material, work on this classic kit, Dave.
The last picture with the overall scene is interesting. What are you going to put at the lower level between these walls? Trains, water?

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  01:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the mill canal on the right hand side, and will be filled with water. It's described here: www.earlyrail.org/SLN/mill-stream/index.html

dave

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  04:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it would be water. Thanks for the link.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  05:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
Superb workmanship. Very nicely done and the weathering is light and very realistic.
Peter

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  07:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Dave
Superb workmanship. Very nicely done and the weathering is light and very realistic.
Peter

My thoughts too. Good job Dave.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  09:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a 1-picture description of the scribe-snap-reassemble technique.

I heard about this from an NMRA National Convention tutorial by John Nehrichback in the mid-'80s.

dave

Previous Topic: Ed Fulasz Gas Station Topic Next Topic: Old Barn Details  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000