Railroad Line Forums - The Royal and Edisto Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: Billett-man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Royal and Edisto Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Annual Pennsy Modeling Survey Topic Next Topic: Bachmann 2-Truck Climax Regear
Page: of 43

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  08:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey There Crew,

I've been doing a lot work on the RR lately but there's not much to show for it on the layout itself... sifting dirt building trees and doing some test plots of different ground covers. I also finished up some research before jumping into scenery building.

There are three layouts that most influenced my thinking and planning for the RnE.

Back in the ‘80s I really admired Bob Smaus’ work and was fortunate to meet him and see his layout in person. MR published a feature on his layout in Oct. ’89 and Bob wrote that he limited his color choices to give the layout a “unified” look. On the yard end were mostly wood and concrete structures. On the city end were brick structures and all but one of them was painted in various shades of the same color, oxide red. He even limited the colors of his ground cover and foliage.

Cliff Power’s Mobile, Alabama and Gulf is another influence on how I want the layout to look. The MAG features two towns, Edna and Wharton. Edna is small, rural and all of the structures are wood. Wharton is a large town/small city with all brick structures in the downtown area. (Cliff is a fellow Forum member.)

Finally I have to give a big nod to Steve Flanigan who is also a Forum member. The pictures of his MR Small Layout Contest winner were amazing! (MR 04/01) I thought I was looking at vintage post cards or calendar photos. The cover and lead photos were especially evocative of small town Georgia. That was the look I wanted for my own railroad.

By design, Royal and Edisto are on opposite sides of the same aisle. I wanted to contrast the big town with the tiny hamlet (down South we call them “wide places in the road”) across the aisle. Getting from one to the other however, is a long (in model terms) ride past the harbor and out through the boonies. This means a very low track-to-scenery ratio and lots of trees to build!

Enough words! Here are some photos from a recent research trip (my wife thought we were going on vacation!) that give a feel for what I hope to create.

The first three are for Edisto

These are for the harbor area

And finally, the little city of Royal

Well, that's where the layout's headed. Now it's time to get working....

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  08:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arnold, I know exactly where you are headed when you mention the work of those three fine modelers! A nice toned down, well blemded overall look. Cliff's layout is simply amazing as not only is his scenery excellent, but the way he goes from small town to small city so successfully. Good luck. I konw you can pull this one off!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  9:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark. And yes, we will OPERATE someday! It'll just be a little more laid-back than Ralph's and John's.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  11:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Laid back is a good thing sometimes Arnold! I'm up for a nice change like that. I'll be looking foward to it.

Mark

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  03:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold, it looks like you've got plenty of nice subjects to model for your layout. I particularly like the two harbour pictures, but the other ones are fine too.

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Arnold. I sat down tonight and took the time to really go through your thread. I don't get on the forum as much as I should to take the time and go through all the threads and I apologize for that. I do have faster internet (well, most of the time) now and it is easier getting the pages to come up. Time is still an issue for me. I just spent the last few minutes looking through your thread and all I can say is this is going to be one fine layout. I like everything about it, especially the track plan (and your track!). It is simple and not overdone. This is my kind of layout. I am really looking forward to the scenery, especially that great looking general store (Country/general stores are my favorites). I also like the idea of making it portable. My layout is not portable but I don't plan on moving for the rest of my life. If I did move, the layout is history. I love it Arnold!

Tom Johnson

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  6:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic. It will be fun to model the harbor scene. I hope to scratchbuild that great looking structure. Here's a photo taken from the dock.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  6:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trees + old building + water + boat + lots of details = a wonderful scene to model, Arnold.

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Thanks for the compliments Tom. They mean a lot coming from you. Yours is one of the finest layouts I've seen in print and definitly worthy of being in Great Model Railroads 2008. If mine is 75% as good as yours someday I will be happy.

Like you I favor shortline/branchline layouts. I still remember the Logansport & Indiana Northern as it appeared in RMC. (I can't find my copy though. It must have gotten tossed during the last move. You wouldn't by chance have a scanner...? ) The gravel pit spur which was just a chain link gate was very inventive. What I liked most was the low track to scenery ratio. That's the look I'm after with the RnE. If you're open to it, I'd like to see the L&IN in person someday.

Thanks again for taking time to read thru the thread. I'm always open to suggestions on the track plan, scenery, structures, etc.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Trees + old building + water + boat + lots of details = a wonderful scene to model, Arnold.

Oui!!

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  8:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold. From what I have seen so far in your pictures, your layout will be better than mine for several reasons. I can see it already in your track and track arrangement. The bench work is top notch and your backdrop is much higher than mine which makes photography much better. I also like the simple staging area. I don't have that so you are one up on me there. It looks like your scenery will not be all flat (my scenery is pretty much flat due to the narrow shelves). My best advice is to first visualize what you want for scenery, think it through and plan your steps. What I did was build all of the structures first (and I mean ALL of them for the whole railroad). I weathered them, detailed them so they were ready to put on the layout. I put them in place to see what they looked like and if I had room for other things around each building. After I was happy with their placement, I glued them down. I planned my roads from there and the scenery around the roads and buildings. I started with dirt (I like Highball Real Dirt) but also used real dirt from the good old outdoors. While this was all wet with my Elmer's glue and water mix, I added Woodland Scenics course turf and sprayed it with my detergent and water mix and applied more glue and water. The last step I liked was to sprinkle some fine turf materials such as mixed grass colors on top of the course turf to give it more of a leafy affect. In the town areas, I used mostly the fine turf. When all of this dried, I added Prairie tufts from Scenic Express for weeds. I didn't put these everywhere because it takes too long (maybe later). I just applied them around areas of structures where most of the attention from visitors will be. The course turf scenery works fine for other areas.

You might want to look into static grass. If I had to start over, I think I would try this method. Bill Darnaby used this on his Maumee Road and was very happy with it and I agree from the pictures I have seen.

The last step are Super Trees (Scenic Express). I used a ton of these trees. I really like them. I also used a few weeds for trees I picked along the roads around my house. I used a few ready to install trees around the structures and town areas from Scenic Express (can you tell I like this company???). Since the tree trunks on these ready to install trees are plastic, I weathered them with grey colors of paint and sprayed Testor's Dullcote on them to kill the shine. This makes a big difference. I used polyfiber from Woodland Scenics flocked with course turf and foliage clusters for bushes and overgrowth to fill around wooded areas and along the right of way. I worked really hard to provide a middle ground between the table top scenery and the painted backdrop. I applied bushes, trees, etc., to the backdrop using the above methods. I painted trees on the backdrop (bare trees and trees with foliage still on them) to help tie everything in. Mix your paint so the colors match your scenery colors. Be carefull how your roads blend into the backdrop. Keep your roads low where they are curving off on your backdrop. The mistake I see made on many backdrops are the roads curving off way too high. Of course, your eye level and table top height makes a difference too.

I like to add texture and weathering to all of my telephone and power poles. I can't stand seeing a great looking layout and plastic power and telephone poles (just the plastic showing) that have not been weathered.

Well, I have rambled on enough here. I know that many of my techniqes are nothing new but I experiment to improve on them all the time. I am looking forward to pictures of your scenery as you proceed. It is going to be great! Good luck!!!!

Tom Johnson

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  9:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold,
Since reading your first post back when you started this thread I have been mostly skimming over your posts.

However after seeing the pictures of the different structures you posted and also after reading Tom's post I decided to keep better track of whats going on with your layout.

I too have been influenced by Tom's and Steve's layouts (each have or had 2 of the best country stores I have ever seen modeled).

As I also model a small rural town where the trackwork is minimal I will be interested as you add structures to your layout.
Since I also model a riverfront town this picture definitely caught my eye.

You mention scratch building it in the future and if and when you do please start a construction thread as I would also be interested in modeling something similar.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  11:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Arnold, the pressure is now on and the standard has been set by Tom!

Tom, I for one appreciate your comments as I also truly admire your work. You have a knack for capturing not only a scene, but a mood. You can ramble on as much as you like as its your thought process that discloses many of the secrets to your success. I know most of us following Arnold's thread are equally enjoying your observations and words of wisdom.

Mark

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  01:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, again thanks for the kind words. I sure hope I am not putting any pressure on Arnold. When I saw his track work and the many photos’ of structures he wants to model and put on his layout, I got the feeling that he is going to be just fine and knows exactly where he wants to go with his layout. The structure he built and posted I believe on the previous page also shows his modeling skills. Arnold, have you seen Lance Mindheim's layout? I love his palm trees. I hope you can use the same type as he did. I don't know much about the palm trees in South Carolina and Georgia but his palm trees sure do look neat. I would think you could use Super Trees for the many pines found in both states. They can be trimmed to look like pine trees. Just more thoughts. Yup, I think Arnold will be just fine.

Tom

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  06:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John. I'm probably a year or more (or more, or more...) away from starting the harbor area. That's phase 2 or 3. Right now I'm focused on the rural area in and around Edisto.

In the meantime, there are lots more photos of Savannah, Beaufort and the lowcountry in my album at Photobucket. Here's the link if you're interested. http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/akimmons/ Try the Structures and Savannah sub-albums for more neat buildings and the Marsh one for scenery.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad

Page: of 43 Previous Topic: Annual Pennsy Modeling Survey Topic Next Topic: Bachmann 2-Truck Climax Regear  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000