Railroad Line Forums - Bantalor Station, New Brunswick, Canada
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: pmmcgraw ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Bantalor Station, New Brunswick, Canada
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Something BIG for my 1Kilo post! Topic Next Topic: Portable steam winch diagrams
Page: of 3

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  6:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,

I come from a family of 3 generations employed in the railroads of New Brunswick. I guess my brother and I broke the chain. When I was growing up in New Brunswick the railroads were laying off, not hiring on.

I would like to build the "Bantalor Station" where my Dad did some relief work at.

After about 6 months of research I acquired a set of plans for the "National Transcontinental Rly., Eastern Division, Design "A" Station Building, dated 1913". These plans are very similar to the design of the "Bantalor Station".

Prior to receiving the plans I started construction by best guess. Although close, there are many dimensions that are wrong.

I wish to start completely over. I need help on the method of framing, roof truss construction, etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Tom M.

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  7:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tom,
I grew up in New brunswick too. I'm not familiar with the Bantalor name. Where is it?

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  11:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In May,1903 the House of Commons (Canadian Government) endorsed the construction of the National Transcontinental Railway in the east. The NTR was to be built by the Grand Trunk on behalf of the Canadian Government and later operated as a lease.

The line in New Brunswick ran from Moncton to Chipman, Napadogan, Juniper, Plaster Rock, Grand Falls and followed the St. John River to Edmunston.

The above information is gleaned from "Railways of New Brunswick" by David Nason.

Doug:

As provided by my father, stations along the route were:
Moncton, Pacific Junction, North Branch, Pangburn,Chipman, Hardwood Ridge, Bantalor, McGivney, Maple Grove, Napadogan, Juniper, Summit, Langly, Plaster Rock, Blue Bell, New Denmark, Grand Falls, St. Leonard and Edmunston.

North Branch

Blue Bell

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  12:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As seen from the photos, Bantalor, North Branch and Blue Bell are of the same design. I tried locating plans and pictures from various museums and societies in New Brunswick but had no luck.
Unfortunately the stations no longer exist.

Somewhere along the line it was mentioned to me to look at two books:

"Canadian National's Western Depots" by Charles BOHI and

"Canadian National's Western Stations" by Charles BOHI and Leslie KOZMA.

I purchased these two books. Looking through the books I found photos showing two stations, Quinton and Duperow that look very similar to Bantalor. I made a trip to Duperow only to find the station was torn down 30 years ago. Quinton had met the same fate. Both stations had been built by the Grand Trunk using plan 100-151.

Fortunately I was able to get a copy of this plan. Now the plans need to be reduced to 1:48 and the proper dimensions calculated.

Construction will then begin ........

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  3:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drew up the footprint of the building and platform. The size caused me a little concern.

The building is 16 ft. by 52 ft. with a 12 ft. by 14 ft. kitchen off the back. The platform is 15 ft. deep by 104 ft. long.

After looking at the pictures I think the station will fit in just fine.

I know the pictures don't give a great view, but what do you think?

Tom M.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  5:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, best of luck in the planning and construction of the station. I've taken the train through New Brunswick...the Ocean Limited, but I don't recognize the station stop.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  6:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I am sure it is long gone as many station stops in New Brunswick. The building I am modeling burned in a forest fire in the 40's.

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  5:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures of the start of the project.

One of four copies of the original plan sheets.

The sum of the parts will eventually equal the whole .....

Front rail side office

Kitchen area:

Sanding, fitting, etc. and then more parts to be made .... It's a start.

Tom M.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  6:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like a good start, but may I suggest that you stain your wood before glueing it? If some glue come where you want to stain, wood will become difficult to stain. Even if you plan to paint the building, it's always good to have it stained first (for peeling paint effect, for instance).

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  6:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

Thanks for the tip.

None of the wood you see in the picture will be seen. It will either be on the inside or covered with siding on the outside.

The inside will be stained with india ink only to cover what could be seen through the windows.

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  7:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

The time here is 5:25 p.m. The forum show 7:25 p.m. What time is it where you are?

Tom M.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  8:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, you won't have stain problems then.
Here it is 2.00 am. Time to go to bed. Apparently there are 8 hours of difference between your place and here.
Have a good day.

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  8:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

The line in New Brunswick ran from Moncton to Chipman, Napadogan, Juniper, Plaster Rock, Grand Falls and followed the St. John River to Edmunston.

The above information is gleaned from "Railways of New Brunswick" by David Nason.

Doug:
As provided by my father, stations along the route were:
Moncton, Pacific Junction, North Branch, Pangburn,Chipman, Hardwood Ridge, Bantalor, McGivney, Maple Grove, Napadogan, Juniper, Summit, Langly, Plaster Rock, Blue Bell, New Denmark, Grand Falls, St. Leonard and Edmunston.

Tom-
Sackville is close to Moncton. Was the station there (Sackville) also on the line? Do you have a photo of the Sackville station?
-Dave

-Dave

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  11:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Sackville was on the Intercolonial Railway line between Moncton and Halifax. In 1920 many of the small railways in New Brunswick, including the ICR, joined to form the Canadian National Railways.

If you google "Sackville Intercolonial Railway Station" you will get a number of hits.

Tom M.

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  4:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

Dave,

Sackville was on the Intercolonial Railway line between Moncton and Halifax. In 1920 many of the small railways in New Brunswick, including the ICR, joined to form the Canadian National Railways.

Thanks, Tom!
I briefly attended Mt. Allison University in Sackville many years ago. While there I got to know Alex Colville whose painting, Ocean Limited you may know.

-Dave

-Dave

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wall framing is done for the moment.

Now the fun begins: figuring out the roof lines.

Tom M.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Something BIG for my 1Kilo post! Topic Next Topic: Portable steam winch diagrams  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000