Railroad Line Forums - The CSS07 Kit in O' Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The CSS07 Kit in O' Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scratchbuilt pulpwood rack Topic Next Topic: Victorian Rain Gutter in HO Scale
Page: of 3

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  07:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Karl, as usual. The windows are really nice pieces, the trim joints are very clean, and I like the wall color. I'll have to get me a bottle of that 'Butter Pecan'.
--Rich B.

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  08:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KArl,

Very well done thus far. I really like the look of the individual clapboards. Looks just right to my eyes. Also the color choices work very well together.

Thanks and looking forward to your continued progress.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the way your nail holes are subdued. Stealth nail holes so to speak.
L&N nut
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 11/21/2007 07:37:13 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  08:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work, Karl, as usual. The green trim is beautiful, and the clapboard is subtly worn.

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  08:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice Karl. I have not even cracked the box of the show kit yet! Perhaps the holiday will yield some modelling time?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  10:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent scratchbuilding, Karl. You're really sailing along with this project.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments everyone

Pat, I cut with the grain, it doesnt show up much on the pics but the grain is visible through the colour washes and A&I.

Made some progress on the second part of the oyster bar. I'll probably add the trim tonight add some weathering, tidy it up a little and start on the roofs. Oh and I need to make the doors too.

As always suggestions welcome.

Karl.A

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  12:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
One nice looking scratch build. The clapboard side is a standout. Looking forward to the next set of photos.
Peter

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  07:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peter, I appreciate it.

I cut and placed the subroof on the main 'oyster' building and added the upper dormer window.

I also trimmed off some jagged edges along the clapboards that were bugging me on both buildings. I added the roof trim to the smaller structure. I have been unhappy with the hunter green wash on this structure but didnt know how to 'fix' it. After dry brushing the trim and windows with 50/50 hunter green/white I went ahead and did the walls too, I'm happier with the look but I still need to figure out the next step.

The set of structures will be well maintained hence the lack of peeling paint and heavy weathering, so, while I ponder the next step with the walls I started on the shingles.

I cut a sheet of 1/64" ply 1.5 times the size of the roof and painted it with 75% white 25%water and then added some graining. I marked out scale 12" wide strips (with the grain) and cut these leaving them still connected at one end.

I then marked them into scale 18" lengths and cut them into individual shingles.

These are now sitting in A&I while I type this. From what I've read about Nick O's shingling experiences you may not hear from me again for a few weeks.....

Regards
Karl.A

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  09:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck Karl. It may take some time and frustration but one senses that the results are going to be fantastic.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  5:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement Simon, it actually didnt take too long at all, I finished this morning (2.5 hrs) and with no frustration.

I dont know about fantastic but I'm happy for a first result, flashing and roof caps left to do when I decide on a method.

Looking back at the pictures I've realised that I forgot to take that arched window off and rebuild it with smaller mullions before I glued the dormer in place . I hope I can get it off without too much damage.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 11/23/2007 3:59:40 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  03:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Karl. I'm sure you'll be able to solve your arched window mullions problem.
This technique to make shingles is really very interesting. I have to try it.
Leaving now to "Exporails", the new name of "Expometriques", our French narrow gauge convention.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  05:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Karl. I like your shingle making technique. Doesn't seem to have taken you too long to put them on.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  09:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very realistic shingles, Karl. The coloring and texture is dead-on!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, enjoy the trip/show Frederic.
I'm headed up to Denver in an hour or so for a couple of weeks so no progress untill I get back . I will however be able to visit Caboose Hobbies a couple of times while I am there so its not all bad, hopefully I'll be able to pick up a whole bunch of detail parts for this O scale stuff and some ON30 trucks(any recommendations?) so that I can try my hand at scratching some rolling stock. I'm taking some paints and rudimentary supplies so I can work on the details while I am away if I get any.
Time to pack and load up the car.

Take care,
Karl.A

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: scratchbuilt pulpwood rack Topic Next Topic: Victorian Rain Gutter in HO Scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000