Railroad Line Forums - Utility Poles
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 48 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: Billett-man ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Reference & Research
 Utility Poles
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mill Pictures Topic Next Topic: Interesting textures web site  

R Street
Section Hand

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  2:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit R Street's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite bits at CSS 07 was Dick Elwell's clinic on power poles.

I just found this website that details out utility poles. There is a bunch of modern stuff included, but you can figure out what's needed and what's not for your era I'm sure .

http://www.annsgarden.com/poles/poles.htm
Tom Campbell
Modeling the SP & the WP down "R Street" in 1950 in Sacramento CA.
http://r-streetlayout.blogspot.com/

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  3:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great link Tom, thanks for sharing it. After seeing the poles on Dick's layout, you can really understand the importance of that detail.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
I missed Dick's clinic as the show but your link will sure help pour a bit of power pole knowledge in my brain. Thanks for the link.
Peter

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  11:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great site Tom.

Ize jerst leerve the one wit'da witch.

Too cool.

I can see that cropping up on model railroads all around the world.

Cheers
Phil

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  8:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou I'll add the link to my refernce folder , I was wandering about poles and what was what on them , now I just have to find a supplier

Modeling the L&M Rocky Mountain Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13095

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  12:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great link and a lot of info on what's on the utility pole and were it goes. I've got a question I didn't see answered here, what is the standard height of these utility poles?

Dave

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  06:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing the link back to light. I totally forgot about it and have been doing some research on my own but this site is magic. It's now bookmarked and keep in my railroad folder for quick reference.
Peter

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very useful info, thanks.

Does anyone know if the standards stayed about the same for the positions of power and telephone cables throughout the last 100 years? I am modelling the 1930s and was thinking about this very topic a few days ago as I am modelling within a city and was wondering if domestic 120V power, 3-phase power for industries and telephone cables would/could share the same poles.

It seems a lot but i only have space seanically for poles along 1 side of the street so only really have 1 pole line.

Thanks for your suggestions if you have any

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, I work for an electric utility in the Pacific Northwest. To answer your question, yes, the dimensions have stayed "about" the same. The NESC (National Electric Safety Code) sets these dimensions, and the various state agencies adopt the NESC (or a particular state's more stringent version). It is quite common to see poles with transmission, distribution, and secondary (120/240v) on the same pole, as well as communications conductors.

Dave, the standard height varies, depending on what type of conductors are on the poles, and what type of clearance (to ground level, for example) are required. It is fairly common to find transmission poles that are 70 feet tall, distribution poles 40-50 feet tall, and secondary/service poles 30-35 feet tall. Of course, that's the total length of the pole; a certain percentage is buried in the ground. And there are the occasions where really tall transmission poles are needed to cross some obstacle; we've used poles as tall as 120 feet. These are all treated wood poles that I'm talking about. Some utilities use poles made of fiberglass, concrete, or steel.

Hope this helps....

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  10:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Al, it helps a lot

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  11:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom. Your crystal ball is finely tuned as I was going to do some additional research on this subject this week.

Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

LLIAXTEP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  2:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great link, thanks, thisll give the pole on my diorama a lot of extra features!!!

Alex

http://narrowgaugeshops.wordpress.com/

Previous Topic: Mill Pictures Topic Next Topic: Interesting textures web site  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000