Railroad Line Forums - On30 Engine House Kit
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 On30 Engine House Kit
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Price of Sound Decoders Topic Next Topic: My Favourite O Scale Structure
Page: of 13

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, thought you might like to see the latest project from Stoney Creek models, Roger Malinowski's single stall stone enginehouse kit.I am modifying it a bit by installing interior planking and braces, that is why the bottom boards have been placed over the floor edges. Will plank the walls and frame out the window openings and then interior brace it.Even though most wont be seen,I am also installing lighting so I want the interior detailed non the less. I use the kit as the foundation and my own ideas to finish,I use Tom Yorkes method for coloring the stone rather than Roger's. The stone will be done on the outside after I am thru with the interior so as to minimize handling after staining it. The model is on a piece of Gatorboard and will be inserted into it's area and dirted in, but still be removable..............Jerry Martin, Florence Or.

Download Attachment: house and bear pic July 07 039.jpg
99.69 KB

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry

Your off to a good start. I'm sure there will be few watching this as Roger sold the kit out. Keep us posted and picture wise it should be a real beaty when its finished.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see a thread started on this kit. I've got this kit on the shelf so this will be a big help when I get around to building it.

Jerry, if you wouldn't mind, when you paint the stone walls you can elaborate on Tom's technique.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure will, I have had very bad luck with coloring stone after it is sealed. I color before sealer and have had great success. When I get to it in a week or so I will take some pic's and explain. The only warning on this kit is the webbing in the window and door openings on my kit was extremely thick and it took quite a while to cut out, even being careful I broke both wall castings. Not a big deal as they repair easily but just a heads up....Jerry

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  12:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, I should have started this with the wall assembly but did'nt even think of posting it until this morning. If you look at your instructions for the assembly of the walls it is reccomended that you use drywall coumpound for a filler on the corners.I do not like that method as the filler accepts stain differantly and will cause a fill line. I carve the walls and fit with no filler and only use white glue if light shows thru the corner. It's a little more time consuming but in my opinion makes a nicer joint. And as I said earlier I don't pre seal my plaster. If I can get this picture posting to work again I will post some better pic's, it stopped working on me......Jerry

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  6:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry
I just purchased one from Roger and it is on it's way. I'm looking forward to you construction thread.
Peter

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  7:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Peter, Roger makes a nice kit, I just like to add a little to them as far as detail on the inside.I now have 2 walls planked and braced should finish up tomorrow and I will post a pic. Jerry

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  7:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry
Looking forward to the new pic.
Peter

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That planking looks really nice, Jerry. Very well done. Looking forward to see this come together.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone...the weather was foggy and gray here on the Or. coast yesterday so I got a good amount of bench time in. I now have two walls planked using 2x12 boards. On the rear wall center I built a bumper to help save the wall. The interior posts are 12x12's and I will frame the window openings with 1x8's.This has proved to be a lot more labor intensive but I feel since this structure will be in the front of the layout and lit the extra work will pay off. I also intend to install shelving benches clutter etc. to complete the interior. I do not feel just the blackened walls inside would do the kit justice. I also show the corner detail on the castings hope you can make it out, photography is not my strong side for sure. To join the planks to the casting I used white glue and TB2 for all wood to wood joints. The top walls will have 2x12's to cap them vs. 2x10's in the instructions to compensate for the extra thickness created by the interior walls.
I hope to finish the final wall today and get them capped in prep for the trusses. The next item on the agenda while I wait for the trusses to dry after building will be to color the rock work. Hope this info. is of some value and helps out..............Jerry

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 001.jpg
129.77 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 002.jpg
131.28 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 003.jpg
136.69 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 006.jpg
94.25 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 005.jpg
115.75 KB

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks real good Jerry. Please keep the pictures coming. I know they'll be a help when I get around to building this kit.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a sidebar to the construction notes above I thought I would share my lumber suppliers with you guys. I am retired and on a fixed income so hobby shop dimensional lumber is a luxury I seldom indulge in. I have found other sources to fill my needs and over the years have developed methods to make them convincing. In my opinion the Micro Lux or simular type saw is a must, for the cost of a kit you can get years of use cutting your own bass wood. Here in Or. a piece almost 8ft. long and 4x4" only cost me 10 bucks and lasts a long time. I rip it down to manageable size on my full size table saw and then on the small saw with a carbide blade.
Also my favorite supplier of boards is shown in the photos below.I buy 2 types of coffee stir sticks.The 5" long round tips are of uniform size and closed grain and take stain at a pretty consistant rate and do not vary to much in color, just enough to distinguish different boards and show NBW detail. These are the planks on the wall of the engine house. They come in a box of about 500 or so for about 4 bucks.These scale at almost a perfect 2x12.
The second box is of a square tip stick and a more rough cut and not as dimensional accurate. These take stain in different ways and a batch produces a wide variety of colors. Also they have a more raised grain that just adds to the effect. I use these for platforms, bridge abutments, retaining walls, flatcar decks, lumber loads, building walls etc. They scale out to approx. 1x10 in 1/4 scale. My local BBQ place here in Florence gets them for me in a box of 1000 pcs. for 2 dollars a box. I have a picture below of a tunnel portal made of these at a cost of about 25 cents. For driven piles or trestles I use dowels of various sizes I find at Wally World(Wal Mart). When ever the wife is there shopping I haunt the craft sections. Roll a handfull on the floor and the ones that roll are straight, put the others aside. For 65cents you have 36" long piers and they take stain great after roughing up with a file card.
Maybe you guys already know all this but I thought I'd share it as most of my finished kits contain many different sources of lumber and materials..............Jerry

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 010.jpg
107.67 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 011.jpg
107.75 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 012.jpg
102.61 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 013.jpg
98.35 KB

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  8:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone I have all the wall boards and bracing installed now. The next thing is the cap on the top of the walls and framing out the windows. Had to make a LHS run today did not have the right wood on hand. Here are a couple shots to were I am now....Jerry

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 021.jpg
150.49 KB

Download Attachment: stoney creek engine house 022.jpg
87.46 KB

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  8:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking Good Jerry!

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  9:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Jerry. That framing is beautiful. Looks like you had little people in there working on it. Very nice!

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  10:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That engine house is looking great!

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Price of Sound Decoders Topic Next Topic: My Favourite O Scale Structure  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000