Railroad Line Forums - Scratchbuilding a styrene classic -- in wood
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Scratchbuilding a styrene classic -- in wood
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Walville Inspired Sawmill Project Topic Next Topic: In-ko-pah RR: Another brick building
Page: of 16

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  08:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few of the old (and I mean old) styrene structure kits that I've always wanted to scratchbuild in wood.

I asked Bonnie to get me one of them for Christmas last year and explained that I wasn't really going to assemble it, just use it for measurements. It is a testament to Bonnie's understanding of my quirks, that she didn't even bat an eye.

Trying to kick the summer doldrums, I decided to start the project with hopes of having it finished in time for a regional NMRA show in October.
Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like an interesting idea, Bruce. I'm looking forward to seeing what you are up to.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using the higher power math for which I am well known, I calculated the quantities of stripwood that I would need and got an order out to Walt at Rusty Stumps Scale Models. I then added grain to the larger pieces and pre-stained everything. I used MicroMark's Age-it-Easy Gray for most of the wood, but you will see one pile that is stained with a mix of brown leather dye & alcohol. (Hey, I even remembered to make a list that cross-referenced the various sizes of stripwood with where I would need it on the model).

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, George. I am finally going to use some of those scribed siding sheets I bought up at Springfield two years ago.

The building composed of three distinct sub-structures. The largest (central) structure has clapboard siding on the lower part of the walls, with board & batten siding above.

Here are the end walls cut to shape with the openings penciled in. I decided to add the B&B to these walls piece by piece instead of using B&B scribed siding and piecing it together.

On both these walls you will see small pencil marks near the edge of the walls, about 9 boards below the roof line. Everything above those pencil marks will be board & batten.

Bruce

Edited by - Dutchman on 08/26/2007 09:13:59 AM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce.
Great idea but what kit?
Peter

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  09:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, it looks like a neat project you're getting underway. But I'll echo Peter's question: what kit?

Also, what other styrene kits do you think would make good wood projects? It's an interesting concept, and I'm about ready to start thumbing through the Structures section of my Walthers.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a fun build, you have me hooked.

Gosh,,,you are so neat with keeping the wood so separated.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Bruce.
Great idea but what kit?

Actually, it is the old "Pickle Factory"

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Gosh,,,you are so neat with keeping the wood so separated.

Tim, I'm trying to keep good notes on this one. Hopefully, I have figured out all the stripwood that I will need. I'm tired of having to stop in the middle of a project and stain just one or two more pieces of stripwood.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Also, what other styrene kits do you think would make good wood projects? It's an interesting concept, and I'm about ready to start thumbing through the Structures section of my Walthers.

Mike, I think that the IHC/Pola Freight House would be another great structure to scratch build from wood.

Bruce

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, Bruce. The IHC Freight House would make a great looking model in wood. Thanks!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
An oldie but a goodie. Might just be an entirely new way of 'scratch building' craftsmen kits.
Peter

bxcarmike
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, another interesting build would be the Smalltown Station by Revell, although, I think the roof line needs to be changed somewhat, it's a wood builing with that interesting coupla. mike h.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  11:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

[quote]Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff
I'm tired of having to stop in the middle of a project and stain just one or two more pieces of stripwood.

Gee, that'll take all the fun out of the project.

I'm using some of that wood I bought at Springfield on my current gondola project. It's nice to have a little stock on hand.

George

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce now that you've unveiled the structure you've got me hooked. I've bookmarked this one. It should be at least entertaining, if not informative.

Mike that's a good one. I actually have plans of the old Art Current AHM/IHC/Pola Freighthouse kitbash that I've been working on and off for years. Someone on the forum actually got my old kits (I just cannot remember who).

--Rich B.

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  1:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is gonna be a great looking structure. Looking forward to follow your progress

Jesper

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: Walville Inspired Sawmill Project Topic Next Topic: In-ko-pah RR: Another brick building  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000