Railroad Line Forums - Morgan Hill Models Flat Car (almost OOB)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Morgan Hill Models Flat Car (almost OOB)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My big bridge is done Topic Next Topic: bachmann On30 railtruck converted to railbuses
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  9:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While working on another project, I wanted to try something quick and easy and see how a Morgan Hill Models Flat Car would build up
compared to Simpson kits I had built previuosly.

This is pretty much straight from the box. I did change to a different set of MacLoed
trucks, added Draft timbers, and some Foothill Model works L&P Couplers, as well as their Brake beams, which were cut down to fit the On30 truck frames. I also in the end decided not to use the kit's laser cut deck, as I wanted slightly thicker boards, and staining
individual pieces was easier for me to achieve the look I was after.

I still need to add the truss rods.

Trucks: these were airbrushed with Floquil Oxide red first. then masked with Gum Arabic, and arbrushed with Weathered Black, and Roof Brown. Then set in a bowl of water with a few drops of soap for two hours.....and the Gum arabic was then washed away with a soft brushto expose the Red Oxide on the wood parts.

Underside:

3Q view:

Side View:

Detail End View:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rbadesign/MHM_FlatCar_End.jpg[/img

It was an easy project. Though it does not have all the air brake rigging that the simpson kit has (it could easily be added by the modeler)with just a little bit of effort, the kit builds into a nice little flat with.

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  9:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry...messed up the bracketing on the last image, and the forum wouldn't let me edit/correct it....

,,,so here it is.

Marc

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  9:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice modeling!!

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  10:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking flat car Marc! Whose Mcleod trucks are you using? Can you give us an underside view of the finished product please?

Thanks,
Steve

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Marc,
The coloring, as usual, is excellent!
-Cody

n/a
deleted

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  02:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. The overall car and trucks still need a little bit of weathering.

@ Steve:
by MacLeod trucks I was refering to the Mfr. of the truck frame kit "MacLeod Western". I had at the time for some reason purchased the kit with Russel trucks, but substituted them for a regauged set of T-12 Archbars. Jon & Morgan Hill sells the trucks & there are photos on his page here:
http://www.morganhillmodels.com/trucks.html

The brake beams and hangers are from Foothill Model Works http://home.inreach.com/jkitts/KitTOC.html (they come as On3, but as you can see they are easily cut narrower for On30 frames)

The wheels are NWSL 42" HO

I will post images of the underside when I get the truss rods and brake rigging rods in place.

@Cody,
Re. the finish; for the deck, I started with several stainings of BIS Silverwood, then
with a soft rag, wiped on some sepia toned artists walnut drawing ink, then came in with some wipes washes of very thinned white and grey
shades of Guache.

The deck that is visible on the underside, is a laser cut kit part (it hides/sandwiches the car weight between the upper and deck and itself), was simply stained with Silverwood.

Marc

Edited by - n/a on 08/06/2007 02:16:40 AM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  6:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marc
Outstanding work as usual. Thanks for posting.
Peter

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  7:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, that is a beautiful piece of work. I could swear I was looking at a prototype car. Excellent!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  8:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marc,

That is some realistic looking modeling you have done on that flatcar. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  8:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work!

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  11:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice Job Marc!

Philip

n/a
deleted

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  03:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. It was a fun and easy to do project (I never even opened the instructions). Painting took longer than the build.

Marc

Edited by - n/a on 08/08/2007 03:15:48 AM

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  07:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Mark!

Could you tell me more about Gum Arabic?

Is it a paste or liquid?

Is there a thread explaining its use anywhere I have missed?

Thanks,

Dave

Old Fogy
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  08:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, Marc. Tell us more about the function of gum arabic in the weathering process.

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  09:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome "kit" MArc.
Lots of good tips there.
I hope to see more of this.
Mj

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  12:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding job Marc. Hope there is more to come. Thanks for sharing the tips.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: My big bridge is done Topic Next Topic: bachmann On30 railtruck converted to railbuses  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000