Railroad Line Forums - SRM Wrisley Papers Western Mill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRM Wrisley Papers Western Mill
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: CV Model Trains Truss Bridge question Topic Next Topic: HO Scale Feight Depot
Page: of 13

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  7:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wrisley Papers is one of those kits that lends itself to many possibilities, including this western rendition that Jim Lucas and I teamed up to create. It is another build with simple/subtle changes which give a unique look, while meeting my layouts specific riverside location needs, (nestled in those oak and grass covered hills just outside of town). Changes and enhancements include modifying the masonry wing to angle back from the main mill. There is an added charm in this placement that was lost in the standard linear kit design/layout. The wood extension was pushed back, providing more visual interest and more functional mill operations. A sign was added to the masonry wing.

The track was moved to the side of the main mill, which resulted in a more open feel. This track siding comes from town through the cut in the hills, goes by the mill, then off to the industries across the river, which are still awaiting repairs to the trestle washed out in that late spring flood.

The mill front is now fully visible and provides much interest. Stairs were added to the front dock and a bridge was added to cross the outtake channel.

The main mill side dock and awning was extended and stairs added. There is now much more space for the coal chute and shipping/receiving operations.

A flume and intake piping was added to the back, which will cross the road then connect to the river upstream to bring that ever critical water supply down to the mill. A back door was then added to the main mill building, to give better access to the water intake gates and back work/storage area.

And yes, there is water. Lots of running, falling and foaming water.

Jim and I are very pleased with the results of this fun and challenging project and Wrisley Papers will be a great riverfront industry addition, to complement Thorndike Mills http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16781, Martin Machine http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16704 and others on my layout.

Gregg

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  7:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg, yet another breathtaking model. Your water is so incredibly realistic, just amazing.

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few more detail shots of the mill.
Gregg

Work crews are finally beginning repairs to the trestle which was washed out in that late spring flood.

The flume bypass gate is being opened in preparation for the weekend mill maintenance activities. This routes the water across the back of the mill to the drainage ditch on the far side.

A shed near the trestle was added to support mill operations.

The pipe repair crew continues to be distracted by the swimmers, re-living fond memories of cutting school and enjoying the rope swing down by the mill. The swimming hole above the falls has always been a favorite of the town boys and a worry to their mothers.

During that late spring flood, a big tree washed out upstream and took out the trestle. Termites were said to have been a contributor.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply outstanding!

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply outstanding

In memory of Mike Chambers

rsmilley
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow !! Another spectacular build Gregg.
Thanks for sharing the photos...I'm sure everyone here on the forum is impressed and happy to see your modeling skills displayed.
--steve

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg
Absolutely spectacular. What more can I say. Thank you for posting.
Peter

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just totally cool in every way

Elliott

Ho Henry
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg:

With what you have accomplished combined with this plus things to come you are ABSOLUTLY, GOING TO HAVE TOO POST THE PHOTOS OF THE ENTIRE LAYOUT WHEN EVERYTHING COMES TOGETHER.

OUTSTANDING, SIMPLY OUTSTANDING... SIR I TAKE MY HAT OFF TOO YOU.

CONGRATULATIONS.

ho henry

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  11:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg and Jim,

I'm in total awe of your accomplishments with this Wrisley's build. And I followed the links to the two previous builds of Thorndike's and Martin Machine. My jaw has dropped to the floor with absolute admiration for the imagination, creativity, craftsmanship and just awesome talent that is demonstrated in these three builds.

In my eyes you guys are the definitive South River modelers. The flow of water, under its gravitational imperative, lends such an incredible dynamic to each of your scenes that one can almost hear the rush and roar. The landscaping is of such authenticity as to make it impossible to determine where model becomes reality. Each mini-scene is totally organic and believable. There are no ends of angles to view such all around incredible views.

This is truly satisfying work.

Any ballpark figure on the time involved, cumulatively, on this, as well as the other two?

Stevie O'D

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  11:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bravo!

Breath taking work.

Texarado RR
New Hire

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  12:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg and Jim,
I admit I have been but a shadow lurker on this forum absorbing all the knowledge that I can from “masters” that are far better at this skill than me, but viewing this master piece, this breathtaking vista ….. I feel as though I am standing on the banks looking up at a piece of heaven. JOB WELL DONE!!! Some how falls short of how I truly feel. This is my first post and after a year of lurking it is time for me to say something …… WOW I am completely awe struck. I have been to many abandoned mills and stood on their banks looking back, … your depiction makes me feel as though I am there without ever leaving my home …..Thank you!!! As stated earlier JOB WELL DONE!!! You both have ever reason to be proud, and guilty, you have now raised the bar for every other modeler on the boards.
Thank you again, I feel as though I am stand there.

Texarado and Rio Grande RR

Edited by - Texarado RR on 08/05/2007 12:21:31 AM

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  12:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon, Ralph, Marken, Steve ETinBH and Peter,

Thanks so much for your kind words. Jim and I really enjoyed this build and the challenges that came with it. It is very satisfying when a build comes out as well as this one. You hope for that, but never know until it is done. I'm glad you all like it too.

Gregg

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  12:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ho Henry

Gregg:

With what you have accomplished combined with this plus things to come you are ABSOLUTLY, GOING TO HAVE TOO POST THE PHOTOS OF THE ENTIRE LAYOUT WHEN EVERYTHING COMES TOGETHER.

OUTSTANDING, SIMPLY OUTSTANDING... SIR I TAKE MY HAT OFF TOO YOU.

CONGRATULATIONS.

ho henry

Henry,

Yes, I promise to post layout photos, when ready. As you probably know by now, I prefer not posting photos until the scene is nearly complete. I'm not sure why, is just my way.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Gregg

reddevildemo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  12:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can honestly say that in my 41 years I have not seen anything so beutiful as this work. Your water is.......beyond belief. Just AWESOME!

Thank you for sharing this. I now have an even bigger goal to reach after seeing these scenes.

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  12:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by essodee

Greg and Jim,

I'm in total awe of your accomplishments with this Wrisley's build. And I followed the links to the two previous builds of Thorndike's and Martin Machine. My jaw has dropped to the floor with absolute admiration for the imagination, creativity, craftsmanship and just awesome talent that is demonstrated in these three builds.

In my eyes you guys are the definitive South River modelers. The flow of water, under its gravitational imperative, lends such an incredible dynamic to each of your scenes that one can almost hear the rush and roar. The landscaping is of such authenticity as to make it impossible to determine where model becomes reality. Each mini-scene is totally organic and believable. There are no ends of angles to view such all around incredible views.

This is truly satisfying work.

Any ballpark figure on the time involved, cumulatively, on this, as well as the other two?

Stevie O'D

Stevie,

Thanks for your very kind words. There is satisfaction from knowing your ideas came to life. There is also satisfaction in giving a little viewing enjoyment to others. Again, my thanks.

This was a fun project. It started with a few ideas, which I sketched out on the initial layout design drawing.

Then a simple and quick, (two hour) mockup was created. This was an important step which quickly identified many design issues and required changes, such as the need for a v-cut through the hills instead of a tunnel; a washed-out trestle instead of a tunnel across the river; final flume location and height needs; building locations and angles; shed location; the need for an upstream waterfall to create visual balance; hill heights; river depths; etc.

Leading to the final diorama layout design.

I am sure that Jim and I have hundreds of combined hours invested in this one. Because of it's size, the flume, washed out trestle and other details, this one took more time than Thorndike or Martin's Machine. But, it was hours of fun, not work.

Thanks again,
Gregg

Edited by - GreggW on 08/30/2007 8:17:42 PM

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: CV Model Trains Truss Bridge question Topic Next Topic: HO Scale Feight Depot  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.99 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000