Railroad Line Forums - Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs
Page: of 30

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  12:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That about does it for the front leg . There are many other small details to add at a later date when we start assembling the various sub sections . There is a small center cap for each wheel , gear drive , various wires and cables etc. The two 'cannister' looking things on each end of the leg are the drive mechanisms that have to be properly tied in to the trucks .
I did glue a couple of code 100 rails down to some wood to see if the trucks fit , and they do .

I still haven't glued the trucks to the housing ...I'll wait a bit on that , probably after we get well into the upper assemblies .

T

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  8:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens , I'm up to date on this thing ....had to make a few changes to the larry car track hangers . When I measured Mikes plans for the distance between the track and the bridge at the very front ( water side ) it was 5 feet . I used 4 1/2 feet for mine because I felt the angle of the track looked better , given the different configuration of the rear legs .

I don't use the dowels to steady the bridges on the legs ....still have some slight fitting to do on the front legs/bridges .

The front and back wheels and trucks are done but I'm not going to attach them at this time .

T

cpetersonmd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cpetersonmd's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ya'll are doing great work. Painting it up really helps to show the details and I've found it helps me see flaws in my work I hadn't seen before, but, how do you attach the subassemblies together once you have painted them?

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  1:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris , it's just a primer coat at this point ...one that's easy to sand off in the area to be glued . The finished look will be somewhat different with weathering that the Huletts experienced .

T

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  03:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Jens , I'm up to date on this thing ....

Fine work Terry.

Unfortunately I had to buy a brand new computer. I am about to get the system running and re-installing all the programs needed. I hope I can come up with the next step soon.
I wasn't able to mill any parts due to the malfunction of the old computer for several weeks now. So I made all parts by traditionally by hand. This means that there are no impossible tasks upcoming.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  06:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry, you're doing a phenomenal job on this project. Outstanding!

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I was waiting , and not realizing that Jens had a crash and burn on his computer , I started on the ore car .

The ore car sits hidden between the bridges and pretty much under the top works of the Hulett . Although it is on rails ( with 4 wheels ) it is not self propelled and usually sits in the forwardmost position .

If you look closely , it is located behind the big shovel ....you can only see the top of the ore car .
It measures about 36 ' x 11' and 5' deep . There are two rotating discs in the bottom that are gear driven to funnel the ore that is dumped in ( by the shovel ) down into the waiting larry car . The larry car will then transfer the ore to the back of the Hulett to an ore pile . OR , dump the ore into a gon underneath the machine .
Since the ore car is barely visible , I decided to forego the detail and just build the basics .

got the first two pics reversed ...sorry

The two discs I cut out of the base will be set aside and used later as the rotating discs . The only difficult part will be sloping the interior of the ore car down to the area of the discs .....might use card stock for that .

Terry

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, wait a minute!

First let me tell you that the prototype pictures are awesome! Do you have them in a better resolution than posted? if so, can you please mail me them? These are some rare shots that show the hulett from above. Especially the details of the ore car are interesting. I did not have any such photos, so I built a rather crude version of the car - with the possibility to enhance it later.
I will show it in one of my next postings.

Next, with the width of the ore car you determine the space between the two bridges. You told me that your legs were not totally identical, so I wonder how do you proceed. Do you make two identical ore cars or do you place the bridges identically on their front legs?

Edited by - JBL on 12/01/2007 09:52:05 AM

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said above, I had no clue about the interior of the car, so its empty by now. I am playing with the idea to hide a battery pack inside...

I am aware you dont need any templates in this case, but I am sending them to you anyway - once I made them.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens , I have two pairs of legs for the two Huletts......one pair is not identical in width to the other pair . The front and rear legs within each pair are identical in width .
I'm just leaving the bottom of the ore car flat ...the gear housing will go on the back step like yours .
Is the battery pack for future lights on the Hulett ?

*** I'll email you the pics when I get home this afternoon .

T

Edited by - teejay on 12/01/2007 10:28:44 AM

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  04:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

.....one pair is not identical in width to the other pair .

I know that the difference between the two pairs is quite small, but anyway, I want you to keep in mind that we should place the rails (for the trolley) with the same spacing on all unloaders (mine and yours). So, please, when you glue the bridges to the legs, check the drawing I sent you, and ensure the rails will fit on top of the bridges.

quote:
Is the battery pack for future lights on the Hulett ?

Maybe. I plan to have a row of lights under the walkways attached to the bridges. Maybe I get the power from the ground rails... or from a battery pack.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  04:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To avoid knocking off the larry car track while handling the bridges, I decided to glue the bridges down to the legs. This is not a difficult task but it has to be done precisely. The bridges have to be absolutely parallel to each other.
Next I referred to the drawings and prototype photos and made four beams, from styrene strips, that will connect the two bridges. I think the pictures are self explaining.

Edited by - JBL on 12/02/2007 04:51:16 AM

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  05:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I installed these four beams, accompanied by two evergreen I-beams, I spray painted the beams and the inside of the bridges with a dark color. I did this because I feared that the paint won't reach every nook later.
Next I added some gusset plates and more styrene strips. When adding the gusset plates keep the location of the pinion drive (trolley) clear.

Oh boy, its looking so ugly now...

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  05:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To finish this chapter I made an end cap (sort of) for the rear end. On the inside I added two squares that fit exactly into the bridges ends. This adds considerably more strength. The end cap is not clued in place by now, but it "press fits".

Edited by - JBL on 12/02/2007 05:14:28 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  07:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing modeling Jens. A real pleasure following your progress on this build.

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000