Railroad Line Forums - Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs
Page: of 30

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens, what size rivet are you using for HO?

Edited by - LVRALPH on 08/04/2007 12:16:09 PM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph , I used Tichy .035" rivets ...200 pieces per pack # 8020 . You can get them through Walthers I think .

Jens , I bought a CD from Chip Syme of Ackron , Ohio. You can visit his site if you Google " Chip Syme's Penn Central" . I think I paid about $25 U.S. for about 200 pictures ...NOT ALL ARE DETAILS ! Some are far off shots .

I can send you some of mine if you don't want to buy the CD. There may be other sources out there ,too .

Terry

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry, those pics are awesome. Got more?

Edited by - LVRALPH on 08/04/2007 10:17:42 AM

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Jens , I bought a CD from Chip Syme of Ackron , Ohio. You can visit his site if you Google " Chip Syme's Penn Central" . I think I paid about $25 U.S. for about 200 pictures ...NOT ALL ARE DETAILS ! Some are far off shots .

Thanks. I will order a CD when I am back from my holidays.

Ralph, here I have used the .30" rivets, but I will use the 0.20" rivets too.

Edited by - JBL on 08/04/2007 10:33:02 AM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy to post some of the Hulett pics here , but I don't want to confuse this thread by posting a bunch at the same time . I can help you guys through emails if you wish .

Chip Syme is one of the "old school" types I love to deal with .

Chip- " I'll send you the CD and you can pay me the money if you like what you see. If not , just send the CD back " . Needless to say , I bought the CD , sent the $$ and followed up to make sure he recieved it .

Chip was at the Steel SIG in Cleveland this past spring ....wish I could have got to that , just to meet the guy .

This sounds like a fun thread but will probably only have Ralph , Jens and myself building the model . I think we can help each other a lot with info , drawings , pics and such . Let's go !

Terry

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's go !

Thats what I wanted to hear!

I will send you both revised cutting templates and isometrical drawings tomorrow.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  11:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what we are building , guys . As you can see , the Huletts were used in groups of two to four . I'll be building two due to selective compression on my layout . I have the Edmund Fitzgerald ore freighter mostly done , so will have the deck hatches open for the Hulett to access the inside .

T

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens, I printed out the templates you sent me and I have a couple of questions. I discovered a mm scale on the back of my HO scale ruler. It matched perfect the scale you provided. However I am confused. How do these templates translate into HO feet? That is how I measure things. If I apply the HO scale to the parts, is that the measurement?

Also the thickness in thousanths of your sheet parts. I know you were confused by the way we measure things over here, but that is important. Thicknesses over .020 will not give a reliable straight edge cut, and in order to make a thicker piece they would have to be laminated. Remember, we do not have the tool you have to make precise cuts. Thanks for the help!

Terry, do you have a set of Mikes Huelett drawings?

Edited by - LVRALPH on 08/04/2007 11:44:51 AM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  11:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes , Ralph , I have Mike's drawings .

T

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes , Ralph , I have Mike's drawings .

T

looks like I have to get on the stick and get my order out this week. I just spent 1 hour on the Tichy site ordering a whole bunch of stuff, mainly rivets and NBW's. They have a sale 20% off. Twice I did this. When you proceed to checkout it blows you out and you lose your whole shopping cart. God I'm Po'd!

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  12:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

Jens, I printed out the templates you sent me and I have a couple of questions. I discovered a mm scale on the back of my HO scale ruler. It matched perfect the scale you provided.

Perfect! Now you are sure, you have printed it out correctly. (no re-size by printer/software)

quote:
However I am confused. How do these templates translate into HO feet? That is how I measure things. If I apply the HO scale to the parts, is that the measurement?

These parts are in HO scale. Just cut them in the same size as printed out.

quote:
Also the thickness in thousanths of your sheet parts. I know you were confused by the way we measure things over here, but that is important. Thicknesses over .020 will not give a reliable straight edge cut, and in order to make a thicker piece they would have to be laminated. Remember, we do not have the tool you have to make precise cuts. Thanks for the help!

To get this straight: Inches are crap, Millimeters are fine. LOL.

.020 is 0.5mm
.040 is 1.0mm

I wont use any sheets thicker than 1mm because I know about this problem. But 1mm can be cut good enough. If not you may use your putty and sanding paper in the end.
You dont want to cut completely through the sheet. You just scratch the sheet and break it. Just like chocolate.
Dont be too afraid, it does not have to be hyper-precise. Having square corners is much more important.
I dont have that tool since ever and I can remember how things were done before.
If you will have problems to make a specific part, please tell me and I try to show how to do it, ok?

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I can measure from the templates you sent and get started, right? There goes work on the Sayre Coal bunker!

Edited by - LVRALPH on 08/04/2007 12:17:37 PM

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  12:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

So I can measure from the templates you sent and get started, right?

Yes, Sir!

(If you cant wait for the revised drawings you have figure out yourself which parts are used multiple times ). All parts 1mm/ .040" thickness.

P.S. a hint for the Tichy-site: Use IE from microsoft for your shopping.

Edited by - JBL on 08/04/2007 12:25:00 PM

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  12:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens, I can wait. By that time my Rabbitt drawings will be here. Thanks for the IE/Tichey tip!

Edited by - LVRALPH on 08/04/2007 7:13:09 PM

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  7:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took an hour and flew over to this modeling flower to see what was going on. So Jens would not feel all alone I made a stab at the most complex piece. First i ordered some rivets from Tichy.

Next, I put some feet and inch markings on the first set of templates that Jens e mailed to me.

Then I cut 2 pieces 21 ft 3 by 16 ft out of .040 styrene sheet.

I got one side complete. OK, next project I'm done!

Edited by - LVRALPH on 08/04/2007 7:13:56 PM

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000