Railroad Line Forums - Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs
Page: of 30

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  12:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's get the ball rolling on the next step . I was going to start on the trucks/wheels and have an idea as to how I want to approach them , but didn't go out and buy a grommet punch ( 33" diameter wheels are needed ) just yet . I did sharpen one end of a brass tube so as to pound out circles of styrene but it is rather crude and doesn't finish the circle very well .

Instead , I went off to work on my open hearth furnace interior and got the 16 furnaces/doors done as well as a pair of mixers . The rails have been laid for the scrap buggies as well as the ( soon to be built ) charging machine .

I am ready to get back to the Hulett.

Terry

BrianZ
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  12:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

Do you have any photos of your open hearth?

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  1:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian , when I am ready to pics of the O.H. , I'll post them up on Ralph's " Building a Blast Furnace " thread . The O.H. is part of a blast furnace scenario . Since I'm building the inside of the structure first , it looks a little weird , so I'll wait until I get more done before I start posting pics . The very basics of my O.H. are up on the blast furnace thread in one of the final pages of postings .

Terry

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  01:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Let's get the ball rolling on the next step . I

Next step? Ok. Drawings have been sent by email.

But before I post instructions, please tell me what you measure here (front and rear leg) first:

Edited by - JBL on 10/01/2007 02:31:51 AM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....almost forgot as I've been off working on my open hearth .

The inside dimension for Hulett #1 is 14 feet , while Hulett #2 is 14.5 feet . Both front and back legs are identical in measurement .

Terry

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  03:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

....almost forgot as I've been off working on my open hearth .

The inside dimension for Hulett #1 is 14 feet , while Hulett #2 is 14.5 feet . Both front and back legs are identical in measurement .

Terry

Thanks, Terry.
Thats fine. Tolerances are smaller than expected. We can easily compensate this later. No need to consider this in the next few construction steps.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3a. Main Girder

Again, first thing you should do is checking whether the drawing is printed out correctly or not. Check the 50mm ruler. If its ok, forget about said ruler.
The drawing says, that the long small strip is needed twice. Thats wrong - only one is needed.
Please note that most parts in the drawing are shown in half HO-scale. You either keep that in mind or head to a copy shop and enlarge the drawing by 200%. Only the two parts in the inlet are shown at their actual size.

Due to the fact that some parts are too long for me to handle, I split them up. If you prefer to make them as one single part, do so.
If you feel that it is too difficult to cut out the rear part of the bridge as shown, you may consider to build a fully enclosed bridge. There are huletts that actually don't have open lattice work at the rear end of their bridges. Please feel free to alter my drawings at your needs!

One last note before we head on to construction work. Its important, that the bridges comes out rather straight in the end. Due to their length this is not quite easy. So I strongly recommend to do the bonding on a absolutely flat surface - a glass plate for example.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go:

Lay down one set of sides glue them together using spacers to reinforce the joint.

Add as much spacers as you want. The more the better.

Lay down the pieces for the top and glue on the side you just have prepared.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glue on the other side

Prepare the rear bottom part - in case you build an open lattice work. On one side I added rivets and on the other side small strips of styrene. You don't need to tell me that I have overdone the rivet work. I already know!

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glue on the bottom parts, beginning from the rear.
Cut a strip, longer and slightly wider than needed and glue it to the bottom too. Let the glue dry thoroughly.

Now for the hardest part. Bond the remaining strip around the corner. When dry, remove excess material.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add as much of the small spacers as you think you will need.

Add the strip shown in the picture

Last thing to do is glueing some rail to the remaining strip and adding it to the bridge. I have no detail photo at hand right now, but I think its quite clear what to do. You also can refer to the two pictures in the following posting.

Edited by - JBL on 10/04/2007 06:18:00 AM

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what it looks like at this stage. Do not glue the girders to the legs right now Instead, I have glued pins, made from round styrene strips, into the holes at top of the legs.
Now I can put it all together and tear it apart as often i like to do.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  06:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive and informative.

BrianZ
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  10:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work! This project is really starting to come together.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

cpetersonmd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  1:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cpetersonmd's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that is coming along great. I'm sure tichy appreciates the rivit business

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000