Railroad Line Forums - Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Building a Hulett Ore Unloader
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs
Page: of 30

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  07:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

you might have noticed it already, we have been preparing to start this project since a while.
When I got the plans I was a bit surprised. They revealed much more details than supposed and the unloader appears to be much smaller than I thought it would be. More details + smaller structure = more difficult. So, I decided to build it not strictly prototypical since I plan to get it finished within this decade. Please forgive me, but it only will be ( hopefully) looking like being prototypical. In addition the few photographs I have, unfortunately dont show the same hulett as the drawings.

But I am not only building the Hulett myself, I will prepare cutting templates and some sort of step-by-step-instruction, so Ralph may build his own copy of the model.

Be warned, this will be a longtime project. I have to do other projects at the same time (Ralph obviously also has other things to do) and I dont have much time for modeling on my hands.

And, Teejay (Terry), if you are still interested in joining this adventure you might answer my mails, I sent you through the forum. Or you just tell me a valid email adress.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  07:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Table of contents

1. Front Tower (right below)

2. Rear Tower ( http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17649&whichpage=8)

3a. Main Girder (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17649&whichpage=14)

3b. Hopper and Larry Car Tracks (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17649&whichpage=17)

3c. Ore car (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17649&whichpage=20)

Edited by - JBL on 12/01/2007 10:05:19 AM

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  07:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. The Front Tower

After we have cut all the pieces from the templates, we begin with assembling:

As you see, I have placed some rivets right now. Since there will be added more details later you dont want to set too much rivets now, or you have to cut them off later. Another option is not using any rivets, but I feel that they are a neat, easy to model, detail.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  07:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you can see my "true sander" in action. I recommend using a glass plate instead of the wood. Unfortunately I just cant find my glass plate atm.

Adding evergreen strips 1.0 x 1.0mm

Cut a 12mm wide strip from 0.5mm styrene sheet

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens, looks like a great, long term project! Would you please explain "rivet" setting to me? It looks like a great detail.

Thanks,
Joe <><

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adding more (homemade) 1.0x2.5mm strips. By the way, the 2mm wide holes at the top are for better aligning the future components of the model.

Some more strips added

You now should end up with something similar to this:

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please allow me from time to time to tell you some general modeling-with-styrene-tips (just in case you didnt know it already).

Overspraying a pure white styrene model with a light grey reveals gaps, fuzz and irregularities that cant be seen before. But make only a light coat, we have to remove the paint at some spots later.

quote:
Would you please explain "rivet" setting to me?

Joe, these are commercial castings, sold by Grandt or Tichy. A rivet "head" on a small stick. You have to drill small holes, 0.5mm in this case, insert the casting and add some glue.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm, for some reason, most of the pictures dont show up. But they initially did. Whats wrong?

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JBL

hmm, for some reason, most of the pictures dont show up. But they initially did. Whats wrong?

All are showing up on my display.

Great project, especially since we have Hueletts here in Cleveland. The preservationists are fighting to get a spot for them.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  09:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens, OMG! I see that to join you in this I will have to get a set of drawings from Mike for myself! Could you explain the rivets in more detail? How about a pic of the product? I have never heard of it. I wish I knew about the spraying the grey trick when I did the precipitator. That would have allowed me to fix some things. I'll use it on the gas washer. I also love your idea of inserting a post for a table of contents. Pure genius. I can handle this project with you. I still have not finished loading my plate. Although I might have a few more projects after next weekend.

I got your e mail with the templates and the millimeter scale. But I am not sure what you want me to do with it. I measured out 50 mm and that is very large! I will be following this project from a master builder with great interest. Projects like this make the RR line forum the jewel of the internet along with the classy modelers that belong.

Edited by - LVRALPH on 08/05/2007 07:17:05 AM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Although this picture doesn't show it well , this is the area Jens is doing his fine work on . There are several different versions of the Hulett , Jens . I think this is the 1919 version that I like .

Could a rivet making tool be used instead of spending a small fortune in Tichy rivets ? This model will take thousands of them .

Jens , I sent you my email address in a pm. I have many additional photos of the Hulett if you could use them .

Terry

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  09:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing beginning and what a project.

Elliott

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  09:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Another shot of what Jens is modelling ...just to the left of the ore cars is the front 'leg' of the Hullett , and it has wheels underneath to allow the machine to move down a track .The wheels is the foreground are part of the lary car that allows the scooped up ore to be transferred to the back of the machine and dumped in an ore car or a pile of taconite ore .

T

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  09:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

Could you explain the rivits in more detail? How about a pic of the product? I have never heard of it.

I cant believe this! But ok, here is a pic, showing a much bigger rivet ( easier to photograph. The ones I use are much smaller.

quote:
I wish I knew about the spraying the grey trick when I did the precipitator.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10365&whichpage=13
Last post at bottom of page

quote:
I can handle this project with you. I still have not finished loading my plate. Although I might have a few more projects after next weekend.

Thats fine. I too need time to prepare the next steps. So, its not necessary to work fast.
Oh, I just remember, that I have to sent out these Rockhill Materials drawings....

quote:
I got your e mail with the templates and the millimeter scale. But I am not sure what you want me to do with it.

I just want to know, if the 50mm scale ruler is really 50mm long, when printed out. Not 46mm, not 53mm - just 50mm.
Its important to know/check, because we work with different letter sizes and it has happend that some software has re-sized drawings when printing.

quote:
Could a rivet making tool be used

Of course YES.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,

Great Photos!
And they seem to show the hulett the drawings a made from. At least there is a strong resemblance.
I spot Conrail hoppers - when did you take those photographs?

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Steer Co. Billboard Topic Next Topic: Letters for making signs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000