Railroad Line Forums - power pole transformers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 power pole transformers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tie Hackers Cabin Group Build--final pics Topic Next Topic: BUILDING MY FIRST HYDROCAL KIT: MOTRAK SUPPLY SHED
Page: of 6

newrailmodels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  04:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit newrailmodels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

My new .015" diameter ball end cutters arrived. I ordered 2 just in case, which is a good thing because I broke the first one almost right away. Fortuantely, I figured out what I'd done wrong and managed to cut both sides of the mold with this new cutter. Here is the result:

These are HO versions of the bushings I had previously done in O scale. There is some flash on the parts, which means I'm putting too much pressure into the mold. I made the runners and gates bigger than I really needed, as it turns out, so this will be easy to fix next time around. Now it's on to creating the top and body of the transformer.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  10:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic John.

RW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  12:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

I saw those samples last night and they are very nice! I'm just hoping John can produce them in HO scale......

AL!!!!!!
I just saw your Avatar....
Did some one take a bite out of the Cheeks?
RW

RW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  2:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost forgot....

Download Attachment: TCB.jpg
25.42 KB
Does that say it?
RW

newrailmodels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  01:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit newrailmodels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I now have all the injection molded parts for an HO transformer, as you can see here:

The transformer is made from four different parts: body, top, and two bushings. It's not quite as easy to assemble as I'd like, so I need to do a little work there. However, the main problem is that my mold halves aren't correctly aligned. It seems I need to learn how to better use the edge finder with my milling machine because I'm off by about .010" in one dimension. I should be able to get it within .001" with more experience. In fact, I have the assembled transformer sitting on the penny because it won't sit flat due to the mis-alignment. Woops.

This has been a really fun project and I feel I'm just about ready to make the production mold.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  8:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RW

quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

I saw those samples last night and they are very nice! I'm just hoping John can produce them in HO scale......

AL!!!!!!
I just saw your Avatar....
Did some one take a bite out of the Cheeks?
RW

Well, the secret's out, I guess....yes indeed, someone took a bite......

(I can thank John Socha-Leialoha for converting my artwork into an image suiteable for an avatar, and he made it "work" for me, too...thanks, John!)

newrailmodels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  01:32:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit newrailmodels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Al, anytime!

I have a general question for Tim, Mike, and anyone else. I just purchased some Atlas telephone poles so I could try out my transformer on the poles (I couldn't find any utility poles at the local hobby shops) and I discovered that the kit comes with some transformers. I measured the transformers and discovered that they're really tiny transformers. All commercial transformers made today are larger than these transformers. I also got a set of transformers made by Finishing Touches from Al Carter, which are in between the Atlas and my transformer.

Where am I going with this? I'm wondering if my transformer is too large? I used prototype dimensions for a mid-sized residential transformer, which also works well for many industries. However, I also know that many kits are actually compressed from prototype dimension.

The other thing I'm wondering is why you'd be interested in me releasing these as a kit if other transformers are already on the market. I've also enclosed some photos to better show what I mean.

From left to right, the Atlas, Finishing Touches, and my transformers.

Now mounted on the Atlas telephone poles. By the way, these poles are also smaller than most utility poles. They're 28' tall, whereas many utility poles are closer to 34' tall.

That being said, I think my transformer looks too big for pole mounting. It's probably about right for mounting between poles like Ralph did in the second post of this thread. What do you guys think?

-- John

rtbaron
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  07:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your transformers are too large for HO what about for O scale.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, one thing to remember, besides the Atlas poles being too short, is that for the most part, electric utility lines were reduced to one (sometimes two) crossarms by the time the 50s rolled around. There were exceptions (and still are), of course. The Atlas poles are really telegraph poles, like you used to see along side railroad lines, where they carried multiple circuits. Perhaps a better "test" would be to try them out on some Walther's power poles, which are a little better proportioned. I have some for you to try if you want.

Also, as you mentioned, transformers come in many sizes. Perhaps you could produce a kit of two different sizes? Larger for commercial; smaller for residential and smaller commercial applications?

bxcarmike
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  09:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, transformers do come in many sizes, here in my town, there's some poles with three different sizes on one pole. Many older transformers also have cooling fins that someone mentioned earlier. Industrial and large commercial areas have larger transformers on poles, one by me has three large ones on one pole.Try taking the lower two arms off an atlas pole and mount the transformer, it will look better.mike h.

newrailmodels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit newrailmodels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your input.

Now for the real question. Should I make these into a kit, or just enjoy the journey and move onto something else? I ask this because I've discovered there are a number of other transormers on the market.

And finally, is it appropriate for me, as a manufucturer, to have this kind of discussion in this forum?

newrailmodels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  01:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit newrailmodels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I noticed your avatar isn't showing up, so I took a look at the placeholder and discovered that the URL for your avatar currently looks like this:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i20%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/bxcarmik...

This doesn't look right. You can fix your avatar using these steps:

• Start a reply to any message on the forum

• Insert a file and upload it to the forum

• Copy the URL for the image you just uploaded

• Go to your profile and in the New Avatar text box, enter "http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/" followed by the URL from your uploaded image.

This is what the URL looks like for my avatar, as an example:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/newrailmodels/20061130231044_Logo96px.gif

Hope that helps.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  02:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
John,

To answer your question I would follow along with what Al stated. Seems to me that they came in many different sizes. I like yours as they look so much more realistic. However, they do look large for mounting on a pole. Yours look more like what Ralph application, which by the way was what I was going to use them for. It takes 3 of them per pole structure and the detail in yours look terrific.
I have no idea if its worth putting these on the market, but I have sure enjoyed watching your progress.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  02:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple pics showing a finishing touch transformer on a RIX pole. I think they look okay, but overall they look too tall to me. I do like how they mount to the pole though, it might not be prototypically but they do stay glued on.

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  12:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could use a couple of HO ones here in UK if you decide to do them - ours look very similar although away down the road there is a square one - first I've noticed - I'll try to get a photo, but might take a few days
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Tie Hackers Cabin Group Build--final pics Topic Next Topic: BUILDING MY FIRST HYDROCAL KIT: MOTRAK SUPPLY SHED  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000