Railroad Line Forums - The New Thatcher's Inlet
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: detective35 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The New Thatcher's Inlet
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Chemically Blackening Brass Topic Next Topic: Old Topic - More Questions: Tortoise Wiring
Page: of 3

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  6:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, the name says it all, as I told some time ago I plan on building three different layouts with three different themes and scales, this is the first module of the HOn30 one, it'll be based on an original by Dave Frary and Bob Hayden that was part of an article published on the RMC in the seventies. As Bob and Dave I'll start by the middle section but the whole layout will have at least two more modules and probably a runaround kind of trackplan. Also as the original the scenery and the overall waterfront mood will be my main objective, I plan to have at least six pieces of motive power and there's nothing definitive regarding the era. It'll be probably the same era as the original. In the end it's a freelance project so the "if it looks good it's probably good" will be the motto. I'm also researching other HOn30 projects by Bob and Dave so if you guys have any material please PM as I'm very interested in it. I'm very curious about the Elk River Layout of wich I just have a few pics, anything else would be great.

Now two questions:

As I've told before there will only be six locomotives around and I plan two move one or two at the same time so, should I go DC or DCC?

Based on the trackplan below what wiring should I do?

And the first pictures of benchwork, the wood:

And the blue foam:

I plan to hand lay the track so progress will be slow but the results will look good (at least I hope so).

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  6:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go DCC all the way! There is so much more that you can do with it, and I forsee that long term, down the road, most things will be DCC. You'll be much happier with DCC!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  6:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson
I've been running my Broadways Limited On30 C16 on DCC two days ago for the first time. What a tremendous feel of pleasure. Fantastic slow speed, perfect control of light and sounds. I'll second Mike's opinion on this : go DCC!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  6:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nelson
DCC and nothing short of it. Besides allowing you all sorts of operationally possibilities, there are a host of other goodies now available to you; sound and sound, just to mention a few. The other virtue is the simplicity of the wiring and the speed you can get through that phase of construction. Keep the photos flowing. Looking forward to watching Thatcher's Inlet take shape.
Peter

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  6:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson
Good luck with your Thatchers Inlet. It has always been one of my favorite little scenes from two of the greats.
Kevin

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  7:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a neat little layout Nelson, will be great to see what you do with it.

Mike

C Laskey
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  7:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson
DCC is the way to go.

Carl

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  11:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nelson,

The Thatchers Inlet layout Is one on mt favorites. Looking forward to following your progress on this venture.

As for the DC vs DCC question, I'm a confirmed believer in DCC, once you operate using DCC you can't go back.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  05:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichBeau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ambitious project Nelson. I for one have always loved this layout. Hopefully you'll follow-up with constuction amd progress photos along the way. This project looks like fun.

I think DCC is your best choice. And personally, I drop power to the buss for every length of flex and at every turnout.

--Rich B.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  06:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nelson
Now that Dave is a forum member, perhaps he can share some hints and tips with you about Thatcher's Inlet.
Peter

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  08:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a waterfront modeling fan, I'm looking forward to seeing your version of Thatcher's progress.

I would go with DCC over DC
- The wiring is much easier to install
- Running trains is lot easier and, I think, more fun
- There are several good basic DCC starter sets out there, so you can get into DCC with a limited investment

I'm very happy with my Digitrax system and recommended them. To be honest, I don't know how Digitrax compares to other products as I bought it based on the recommendations of the staff at MB Kleins.

Good luck with your new project!

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  08:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson, outstanding start. Go DCC. It is not that hard, and the cost will not be that much more. It is the way the hobby is going. In a few more years, there might not be a DC option as the hobby generations change.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  1:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson, great news that you are building a new Thatcher's Inlet! Like others, that has been one of my favorite layouts over the years. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it!

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  4:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fred and Barney would use DC, but they still live in caves. The rest of us use DCC. I think it's actually easier. For that itty bitty HOn30 stuff I'd suggest Zimo decoders. Very tiny and excellent slow speed control.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  6:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input guys, I'll go DCC, now I have to figure out how to wire the damn thing, is there any online tutorial for wiring a DCC layout?

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nelson
Wiring for DCC is really very simple. Run two main bus wires 16 AWG that attach to your power/command station. Then from each section of track ( rail), drop down a feeder wire 22 AWG to the feeder. That's all there is to it. This link should take you to Loys Toys DCC section ... it's all there.
www.loystoys.com/MiscHTML/dcc-topics.html
Peter

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Chemically Blackening Brass Topic Next Topic: Old Topic - More Questions: Tortoise Wiring  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000