Railroad Line Forums - Rich B's Tire Service
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rich B's Tire Service
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Muskrat Ramble - Sysney N G Convention 2009 Topic Next Topic: Model RR Structures, New 2nd Edition Now Available
Page: of 2

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  1:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently, I spent an afternoon constructing a kit with my seven year old daughter. She and I worked side by side constructing Magee’s Tire Center from Bar Mills. We renamed it “Rich B’s Tire Center” after good friend and fellow Forum member “RichBeau”. You see, last November Rich and I had planned to see a number of the layouts on the Tour de Chooch but unfortunately for us spent a good part of the afternoon changing tires instead of viewing layouts. Oh well, it served as inspiration for this little structure.

The kit is a relatively simple one, and can be completed in a day or so. This was a good break for me as, between all too frequent business trips lately, I’ve been working on South River Model Works’ Kingston Creamery, a much more complex structure, and it was nice to see the results more immediately on this than the larger endeavor allows.

My daughter and I sat side by side at the workbench and discussed how we would finish this kit. We decided to paint this little structure using FolkArt acrylic craft paints. The main body of the building is a pale green (# 467 – Italian Sage) with a darker green trim (#406 – Hunter Green). We collaborated on the sign as she new exactly why we were “honoring” Rich. We chatted as we worked and, in the process, had lots of fun and learned some more about model building. I think that my daughter feels this is as much her building as it is mine, and, quite frankly, that’s exactly how it should be.

Now we need to site the building, add details and get the sign crew to come by and get that sign up on the roof. And, oh yes, we’ll have to come up with good ol’ Rich for out front.

Your comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.

Thanks,
Paul

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  2:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work Paul and daughter. I think your choice of colors are great and the sign looks terrific as well. Do you plan on mounting the sign, if so where?

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  2:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I think you and your daughter did a fantastic job! It is indeed time well spent when you and your children can work on a project together.

I like the colors you two chose. I wouldn't change a thing. I imagine after you "plant it" on the layout you might add a few old tires along side or out back.

davkin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  2:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done. Is this going into a diorama or on to your layout?

I just received the Bar Mills Furlow and Freight kit in the mail today. These little basics kits seem to be a good deal and fun little projects, I might collect them all!

David

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  2:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul
Nothing could be finer.... what a wonderful way to spend time with your daughter.. Family model railroading; the Ultimate!
Peter

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  3:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your daughter done good!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  3:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An excellent way to spend an afternoon, Paul! And the little building looks great - I really like your color choices.

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  3:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks All, I really appreciate the comments,

Tim, the sign will be mounted on the lower pitched end of the roof.

Al, you're absolutely right, a few old barrels, some tires scattered about, and perhaps a pallet leaning up against the building. Roof needs a smokestack and a little more weathering as well ...

David, these little kits are indeed fun and occupy a very small footprint. I will first just put together a small diorama for this as my layout is under beginning construction. Eventually, I'll incorporate the small diorama on the layout.

Peter, Tyson and Mike, I've learned a lot from this forum and your insight, your comments mean a lot. Our oldest is in college and Jill is the youngest. Like you, I can relate to how precious this time is. It was indeed time most well spent.

Thanks again,
--Paul

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  4:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, great work on the small kit. It's wonderful that you could combine family time with hobby time having your daughter at your side...and it nice to be able to relate an experience from the past with a close friend and turn it around into something humorous!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  4:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What fun, Paul!! I think it is great that you spent time together, this way. And, you ended up with a nice structure both of you can be proud of.

Chuck

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  4:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey You Two:

Very nicely done.

Karl S.

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  5:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It came out great and how fantastic that you involved your daughter!

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  5:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2nd stage is to have JILL plant it on the layout! Bring out your boxes of appropriate details and let her go at it. She could choose how to detail it.

Woodland Scenics has some nice sets that would go with this.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do it whenever you can because the grow up fast and sooner that later they are too busy with life to do these things!!!

Elliott

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  8:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Chuck, Karl, Christina, John and Elliott:

Thanks for the kind words on Rich B's and also your comments and understanding of the importance of time well spent !! You're absolutely right, they do grow up way too fast ...

Although not an elaborate build, this small building will have more meaning and importance on my eventual pike for a couple of reasons, than its stature would otherwise indicate.

Thanks all !!

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  8:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul

It is a nice build and it gets even better because of the stories attached. I hope Jillee sees all these fine compliments this structure has garnered.

Thanks for the honor. I'm also glad no one asked about the flat.

In any case, I hate love to say it "I told ya so"

--Rich B.

Edited by - RichBeau on 03/17/2007 8:45:39 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Muskrat Ramble - Sysney N G Convention 2009 Topic Next Topic: Model RR Structures, New 2nd Edition Now Available  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000