Railroad Line Forums - Photo Shop Toutorial
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Photo Shop Toutorial
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Minolta Lens to Nikon camera Topic Next Topic: As night falls on he Goldfield & Hangtown RR.
Page: of 3

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  11:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeeterbait

Many thanks,
Now.....one more question.
How about a tutorial showing how you get the graphics (screen shots?) that accompanied this tutorial.
I hope this isn't something that everyone but me knows how to do. I hate it when that happens.

Ken Olson

Actually, it's quite simple. Pressing the Print Scr (print screen) button (to the right of the F keys) puts the contents of the screen into the clipboard which you can paste into Photoshop or any graphic program and edit down to just the portion desired using the mask tool and crop to mask command.

Jerry

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  05:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tutorial Mike, very simple and informative. Another very easy (and forgiving) way to do this is with a layer mask. I like that method as no part of either layer is changed or destroyed so it's easy to 'paint out' any slips or errors.

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  08:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This pic should show the differences between a Draw and a Paint program and their capabilities. The left side was done in CorelDraw and the right side a combination of the CDR file and the train setting done in PhotoPaint. The sky and background was imported from samples from a company selling backdrops and the trains were lifted from various sources to paste in. All had to be resized to fit.

I reduced it for here: you can see it larger on my site. (About 3/4 way down on Layout Overview)

Jerry

Edited by - jerryglow on 03/06/2007 08:22:30 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for the tutorial.

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

Admin's please make this a sticky to this forum and/or add to a tutorials forum if there is one.

I've made it a Sticky here in the Photography Forum.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  4:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank's Bruce

Mike J

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FiatFan

Here's a link to get PhotoShop 3.4 for free. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.vetusware.com/select-by/category/Other/?cat=9

Tom

Has anyone had success downloading this file? I started to and realized I had selected the wrong one so aborted the download. When I tried for the correct one, it told me I had exceeded the daily download limit and has oontinued to give me the same response every day since.

Jerry

FiatFan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  08:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerryglow

quote:
Originally posted by FiatFan

Here's a link to get PhotoShop 3.4 for free. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.vetusware.com/select-by/category/Other/?cat=9

Tom

Has anyone had success downloading this file? I started to and realized I had selected the wrong one so aborted the download. When I tried for the correct one, it told me I had exceeded the daily download limit and has oontinued to give me the same response every day since.

Jerry

I have downloaded it. It is on a very slow connection. Those wishing a copy of the file please contact me off line at fiatfan@frontiernet.net and I will provide you with a link to download it. After you extract the files, the serial number is located in a file called README.NTA on Disk one. Right click that file and open it with Notepad or Write and you will see the serial number required to install it.

Jerry, I sent you an e-mail with the link so you can download it.

Since it is abandonware, don't expect any support from Adobe. They may have information on their website.

Tom

Edited by - FiatFan on 03/08/2007 11:58:56 AM

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  8:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I now have this toutorial on my web site as well at http://www.dreamweavertrains.com/photoshophowto.htm

Mike J

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  10:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I now have this toutorial on my web site as well at http://www.dreamweavertrains.com/photoshophowto.htm

Mike J

Thanks for doing that. I "printed" the Forum one to a .PDF file to share with a non-member but can now point them straight to your site. In fact, I made a .PDF off your site to replace the one from the Forum.

Jerry

Edited by - jerryglow on 03/10/2007 10:32:39 AM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  10:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, . .Thanks for the tutorial; I can see where I definitely need to spend some time here.

quote:

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  12:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Christina, How about a little tutorial on masking, and then I'll give it a try.

sounds good to me Jerry

Mike J

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Christina, How about a little tutorial on masking, and then I'll give it a try.

It's very similar to what you're already doing Mike, it just preserves the photo in the process. Here's a tutorial, it's a little rough since I did it in a hurry but I think it gives a good idea of how to do it. I posted it on my server since it has lots of large photos.

http://www.kinnetik.org/trains/mask/index.htm

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Thanks to both Mike and Christina for those excellent and very detailed tutorials. Both of them really demonstrate the wonderous possibilities that lie hidden in these software programs once you take the time to learn some of them.

This really creates a whole new realm of possibilities that are available only in the 'virtual' world. And since most of the way we all communicate with one another here on the forum is through photos, this is an incredible tool to have at our disposal.

Stevie O'

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Christina, Thanks I'll give it a try.

It looks like there is as many steps to doing the mask as there is the way I do it it's just a little more forgiving and easier to fix problems.

I would really like to know haow you did the smoke though it seems to me that it would take forever to maks that.

And could you email me the smoke ready to be layered?

Mike J

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  1:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Christina, Thanks I'll give it a try.

It looks like there is as many steps to doing the mask as there is the way I do it it's just a little more forgiving and easier to fix problems.

I would really like to know haow you did the smoke though it seems to me that it would take forever to maks that.

And could you email me the smoke ready to be layered?

Mike J

It really is the same as what you were doing, it just is a bit more forgiving of mistakes and it's a little easier to make a soft edge.

As for the smoke it took me less than a minute. I did a very rough selection of some steam from an image I had of a steam loco, stuck it in the image and then made a layer mask. With a big soft brush I painted out all around the edges (not trying to be careful at all) and then I used grey (which gives you a transparent mask) and painted out a bit more. You can use channels to make very detailed selections of things like whisps of hair but it really isn't necessary for this. I'd be happy to send you the selection if you want but it's really just a lasso selection of steam.

Edited by - Quinn222 on 03/11/2007 1:23:41 PM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Minolta Lens to Nikon camera Topic Next Topic: As night falls on he Goldfield & Hangtown RR.  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000