Railroad Line Forums - New Grain Elevators
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 146 ]  [ Total: 147 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 New Grain Elevators
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Daves T.V. Repair & Used Furniture Topic Next Topic: Soundchipping a Stewart DS-4-4-1000
Page: of 2

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  02:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kitbashed two new elevators to replace the white wooden elevator at Delong and the Frick Services Elevator at Kewanna. I wanted something larger at Delong and will add grain bins to it later on and I wanted something smaller and older at Kewanna. Of course, I also wanted them beat up a little.

Here are the steps I took to build the Delong elevator. The Kewanna Elevator will come later.

First, I built the Walther's Valley Growers Association Elevator as is per instructions.

A second Valley Growers Elevator was built and cut down to a shorter height and will be attached to the above elevator turned sideways. The extra shed will be added later.

A section from the Valley Cement complex with the extra shed from the second elevator was built. I had to fill in the small part of the shed on the front where it sticks out from the larger section from Valley Cement.

Here is the front side. The opening had to be filled in at the top. I decided to make it look like it used to be a door and was later filled in with sheet siding.

Here is the front with all three sections attached together.

Here is the back with all of the corners filled in with trim to give it a cleaner look.

Here is the back with some of the details added such as the chutes, lights, doors, etc. The windows, cylone, and vents will come later.

I also added a small office to the left end.

Here is a picture of the elevator with the roof weathered (I used oils and chalks)after a coat of refer gray or SP light gray (both works). The gray best represents old corrugated siding. I also painted all of the siding with a light gray paint (all airbrushed of course). I also added the cyclone.

The siding has its first step in weathering. I used a cardboard mask cut to the shape of a rectangle to represent individual corrugated sheets of siding. I used Model Masters Neutral Gray and drybrushed each section of siding using the mask. Yes, this takes a little time but it was not that bad. When I got close to details like the cyclone, I just used masking tape along the top and bottom of each row of siding and used a half inch wide brush to apply the gray paint for each section of siding. It is not as exact as the mask, but you can't really tell the difference when you look at the whole elevator when completed. The Model Masters Neutral Gray is a bit darker than the light base coat of gray that was airbrushed on earlier. This leaves a small amount of light gray around each section that was masked and drybrushed with the Model Masters gray paint. Airbrushing the sides with dark gray and masking with light gray could also work. I might try this on my next elevator and decide which method of light and dark I like better.

I used the same method to mask each section of corrugated siding and weathered them with Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna oil paints to represent rust. I also added some orange at times to the burnt sienna to represent fresh rust. You can see these areas in the photo. Before I weathered the siding with rust, the checkerboard along the top was masked off and airbrushed white. I masked again with small squares of cardboard with double stick tape on the back and attached them to the white areas and next the red paint was airbrushed to the siding. Remove the squares and you have a checkerboard pattern (better than decals!). I used my mask and drybrushed some gray on top of the checkerboard to make it look like it was washing off over time and then finished with the rust. The Delong Elevator sign near the middle was also masked and painted (airbrushed) with the drybrushed gray on top for fading and finished with rust. I made the Delong Elevator letters on my computer and printed them on clear decal paper. The other signs are from Microscale and my own home made signs on the computer.

This is the front. I still need to add the loading chute.

The finished elevator installed on the layout with Scenic Express prairie tufts and other ground cover added. Junk details will be added later.

RickF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  04:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks great! That's a wonderful weathering job.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  05:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
Tremendous job. Finishing and weathering are wonderfully done. Thanks for taking the extra time to photograph each stage of construction and finish. The Elevator looks terrific on the RR.
Peter

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  07:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More Please! Now if only wer could get a step by step covered hopper eathering thread...

TrevorCreek
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  07:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see TrevorCreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tom,

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love grain elevators and you did an amazing job. Thanks for the how to and the pics.

Frank

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, very very nicely done. I really appreciate the how tos right along side the pics. Excellent work, Pat
I was wondering if you could in the future take some shots as you do the masking and painting this will really bring the explination home? Also I had a question posted yesterday about how to apply decals and am wondering if you could share some info with me? Either right here or email me off the forum, my email in my profile is current. If its too much to write, email me and I could call you if you have some time to chat.

Edited by - belg on 03/04/2007 08:07:18 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  08:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, that looks awesome! Thanks for the pics.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, this new grain complex is a great addition to your layout! Thanks for the sequential photos, list of materials, and tutorial.

Bruce

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, . .That's a great looking facility; it reminds me of one we saw a few years back in Pittsburg, Kansas. If you are interested, there's some information and pictures of it on pages 5 & 6 of the following link:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5840&whichpage=5

I agree with Rick, that is some wonderful weathering.

quote:
Originally posted by INRAIL

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  10:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job! That really looks sharp!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, as always, a great job! Beautiful on the weathering. Thanks for sharing the 'how to'. You make it look so easy!

Mark

ibflattop
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, ya got some good looking Indiana elevaters there. Kevin

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  6:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work ...looks absolutely great

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  6:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Tom! You should enter this in RMC's Kitbashing Award they run from time to time.

I too would like to see a photo or two of how you do the masking for the panels, etc., if you could....

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  7:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Great weathering job. Thanks for the detailed description on how you did it.

George

Fly Army

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  9:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking Elevator Tom, nice touch on the weathering.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Daves T.V. Repair & Used Furniture Topic Next Topic: Soundchipping a Stewart DS-4-4-1000  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000