Railroad Line Forums - Small Structure Challenge 2007
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: Faire to Midland ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Small Structure Challenge 2007
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: K&J Kruise Road Trip Topic Next Topic: interested in 1/24th - 1/25th scale detail parts
Page: of 34

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  4:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Karl:
OT for this thread, but your signature photos of
the trestle just blow me away every time you post!!

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  4:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I know exactly what you are talking about. I'll tell you why I made it this way. You see, it was part of a community building project started by Eddie Landreth. He found this article written by Wayne Wesolowski a few years ago. Seeing as how this was my first building challenge and only my third scratch built structure, I decided to follow Dr. Wayne's original plan, thus the chimney on the roof, etc. Although I did strive to add my own details, I was never happy with a few parts of this build. I never got the moss in any way correct and I also never was able to get the overgrown grass effect I would have liked and the roof colors seem wrong to me.

So I thank you for noticing the parts I did manage to get closer to right, but I was just learning then. I know so much more now about scratch building from paying attention to this forum and experience. I am savoring the choice of my next derelict building.

Check out Eddie's thread. Lots of good info there.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11334

Karl, that's a tidy station you built. Looking real good.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  7:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred your paper and cardboard model is very impressive! Robin would be proud!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  9:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been gone for three weeks and there's some very impressive work being done by all.

George

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  6:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a good trip George and I have to agree with you.

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  02:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have added a screen door and secured the building to the dock. Time now for little details and a couple of figures.

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  05:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The structure looks amazing Darryl, as said before moss looks top notch!

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  05:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb work Darryl I just know the detailing's going to move it up at least another notch too.

Tony

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  06:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very, very nice Darryl.
The moss is great, and your grey wood is outstanding.
I, too, am sure the addition of all the details will add yet another dimension to that already great looking structure.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  12:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Darryl, all aspects of the build are just super.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  12:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Ken.

Beautiful looking structure Darryl, I'm always impressed and inspired by your photos. I saw it last night but was too tired to post. The screen door looks great and I also noticed the little trim pieces around the bottom of the lean-to roof posts, a very nice little detail you have added. Cant wait to see what else you add.

I woke up this morning with a strange urge to do something in 'O' scale, I dont have any detail parts in that scale but I think I've just come up with a structure that requires no details at all, hopefully I'll post some more info later.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  4:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of activity here today I see

Its been a good day so far for me, the plans are all drawn up and I finally got to try out some of the O scale lumber I found in the local Kroger.

I got all the wood cut to dimension and length, added the wood grain and stained.

Now I can glue it all together and add the few structural details it will need. Depending how many 'refreshments' I enjoy tonight, but more likely I'll give it a rest for today and assemble it tomorrow.

Karl.A

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  7:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daryl - that's great -swayback roof and all!

Elliott

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  9:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Darryl, Another great building you have done there.

Karl A. Did you make all those dimensional lumber out of those coffee sticks?????

Looks interesting so far, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  3:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not quite Ron , the square timbers and the rafters are cut from sheet balsa, all the strips only are the coffee stirrers.

Heres a shot of the finished framing (except for nailholes and NBW's) out in the sunshine. I still need to knock off the fuzzies from the rafters too.

Karl.A

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: K&J Kruise Road Trip Topic Next Topic: interested in 1/24th - 1/25th scale detail parts  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000