Railroad Line Forums - Small Structure Challenge 2007
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 13 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 312 ]  [ Total: 325 ]  [ Newest Member: Junny ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Small Structure Challenge 2007
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: K&J Kruise Road Trip Topic Next Topic: interested in 1/24th - 1/25th scale detail parts
Page: of 34

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  8:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darryl, thanks for the quick tutorial! I'll have to give that a try on my challenge project!
Just when I thought I had it all figured out...

Steve

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christopher,

Do you have any more photos of your old structure? I would love to see them.

Love your rotten tarpaper(?) effect. Can you give us a brief "how to" explanation?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  9:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Pine Ridge... a small western town.. at first glance to a passer through it seems like many other small western towns that sprung up during the logging and mining boom years of the late 1800's and early 1900's. On closer inspection something stands out to the observant eye.... all the buildings in Pine Ridge share a commonality, the footprints of each building within the town limits are 10'x20'...strange? maybe... but behind the conformity of the towns architecture lies a deeper, sinister more tragic history....

But enought of that... Pine Ridge nestles high in the hills where pines grow tall and lumber is the mainstay of the population. The small town is the 'end of the road' for the main rail traffic and consists of several businesses supplying the logging community, a church, blacksmith, stables, mercantile, gunsmith, barber, undertaker, freight depot, station, town sherriff/jail, a hotel and sevel bunk houses... 15 main buildings in all.

The latest building built in Pine Ridge (according to historical records) is the new passenger station, there was previously only a whistlestop but due to the boom times money has been spent(by the lumber co.) on a new ticket office and waiting room.

Northeastern clapboard siding

Tichy Windows and doors

Rusty Stumps shake shingles

Next is to lay the station platform (board on board) and put a roof on the small storage shed (corrugated). Not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning, most enjoyable.

Regards,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/22/2007 9:53:25 PM

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Welcome to Pine Ridge... a small western town.. at first glance to a passer through it seems like many other small western towns that sprung up during the logging and mining boom years of the late 1800's and early 1900's. On closer inspection something stands out to the observant eye.... all the buildings in Pine Ridge share a commonality, the footprints of each building within the town limits are 10'x20'...strange? maybe... but behind the conformity of the towns architecture lies a deeper, sinister more tragic history....

You can't stop there! what happened!!?? If you get bored of modelling you can always take up writing.

Neat job too on the model Karl.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Nice station, I like the color scheme. I really like the shingles from Rusty Stump, got to see if they are available in O scale.

Now the real questions is.... Are you going to be building all 15 buildings as part of this challenge?

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  09:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ron,

Walt(Rusty Stumps) provides alot of his items in multiple scales, here is the link for his O Scale shingle web page....

http://www.rustystumps.com/products.asp?cat=4&pg=5

Karl.A

dash10
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  3:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got mine done, the structure is 100% paper and cardboard. Fred

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  5:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl
Beautiful building. The bi-color scheme is very nice.
Fred
You've made quite a great model. The roof is a beauty (color and texture).

Here, work is progressing slowly. The ends of my roof have developed a big sag that will make it being removable not so easy. Let's see.

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, that's quite the ambitious project!

Fred, It looks terrific! Your paper shingles made me look twice.

Darryl, here are a few teasers for you.

The rubbish inside.

The entrance side.

Rotten platform end.

Track side.

Other end.

If you would like to see all 94 photos go to;

http://public.fotki.com/TrainClown/scratch_built_derel/

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  05:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christopher
What a study in dereliction. Colors are great and the shape of the building seems quite realistic (until the next storm...).

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  08:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christopher,

What a delightful building!! I love it.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great one Christopher. But it looks like it won't hold up to a snow load. Your rotten wood look is right on.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  1:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for the link to Rusty Stumps. Had a look and it seems some of my hard earned cash will be going missing

Even excepts Paypal, so can't use the excuse that paying him is hard

Thanks again for the link Karl, Walt's going to be getting some of my money shortly

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  2:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christopher:
I absolutely love this structure. The rotten wood, knot holes,
wood grain, sagging timber, tar paper.....EVERYTHING is perfect.
That said, I'm going to go out on the long limb and be the Devil's
Advocate here. I love how you did the chimney (along with everything
else) but I question how it broke off and is laying on the roof.
I looks like you're implying the when the building shifted the roof truss
knocked the chimney over. Would that board have been strong enough to
have done that? Also, if that much of the chimney fell on such a rotten
roof, maybe it would have caved in or sagged a little more?

I hope you don't take this as criticism and I come off looking like a
rivet-counter or something (like I said, I love the building).....these
are just some personal thoughts that may or may not hold water.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  3:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Hard to imagine that entire structure is paper and card Fred, extremely impressive results.

Excelent modelling as always Christopher, colour texture and details all done to perfection, have you tried powdered green chalk for moss? just sprinkle it on and dullcoat it.

You're welcome Ron, Walt has some great products.

The station is basically complete, I will finish the final detailing once its on the diorama base (which isnt built yet).

Its not really a craftsman type structure bursting with details but I think I will make the town Frieght Depot (next) board-on-board which will provide me the opportunity for more weathering,detail and texture. Heck I might even try some of TC's HO nails...

Regards,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/24/2007 3:47:47 PM

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: K&J Kruise Road Trip Topic Next Topic: interested in 1/24th - 1/25th scale detail parts  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000