Railroad Line Forums - A scratchbuilt Shelby's in O scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: CNR 6218 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 A scratchbuilt Shelby's in O scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Latest scratch built 8 axle tank car Topic Next Topic: boats and ships terminology
Page: of 21

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  10:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I'm just getting back up to speed on everything including your updates here. I've got to say the interior shots are just stunning. I love the stairs, and the balcony shots, and the modeling is superb! I can't wait to see it all cluttered up with detail castings.

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  11:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great feat of framing and building Karl. The interior of the Main building is a terrific update of Brett's original HO kit.

Great job on the pilings, barnacles and land/water transition areas.

You've got it 'going onnnn...'

Stevie O'D

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  5:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I'm glad to see that you guys made it back safe and sound. It was great meeting the two of you.

As the others have said, those interior shots are terrific. Of course, the modeling has to be terrific first.

BTW, thanks for getting back to me on the barnacles.

Bruce

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  8:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone,

Frederic, the joists were all cut to the exact width of the structure (slightly snug fit) and glued in, there are no hidden supports.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

I can't wait to see it all cluttered up with detail castings.

You and me both Mike, although we may need to wait for a while to see it until 'disposable income' becomes available again.

I've decided to leave making the details to the masters like Brett and concentrate on the structure/base completion, I'll go back and add in the finishing details as soon as I can.

Your welcome and thanks Bruce, it was also great to meet you and everyone else we had the pleasure of talking to at the show.

Regards
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 11/10/2007 07:37:55 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  07:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I added the pully to the front wall and weathered it.

I also had a go at painting and weathering the castings I picked up from CrowRiver @ the CSS07.

A few barrels in temporary situ.

Regards
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 11/10/2007 07:38:44 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  08:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent job on the pulley and the barrels. Where did you get the pulley from?

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. My french friends to whom I showed your work think it is outstanding. So do I.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  09:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice job really realistic like Rick where did the pulley come from?

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  3:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all,

Rick/Jerry, The pully is scratched, the pully wheel itself came from my HO Shelby's kit, the frame is some 1/8 square balsa, the wheel support is some sheet brass cut, shaped and weathered and I threw on some HO NBW's for details, looking at the pic the NBW's on the wall side need some chalk.

Thanks for looking,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 11/10/2007 3:19:57 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  9:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody else get to the point in a model where they get nervous/trepedacious about the next step because they dont want to mess up the work they have already done? So far everything has gone OK IMO, but I keep putting off weathering those roofs.

I added in the second layer of scenery over the 'dirt'.

Even though the structure isnt even finished yet I decided some maintenance was needed around the rear.

Shep looks on and wonders where Woody the carpenter is. (I have a feeling he ran off to a detail manufacturer to pick up some O Scale tools)

Regards,
Karl.A

EDIT A shot of the interior stairs sitting on the wooden deck rather than on my glass worktop in the previous post.

Edited by - UKGuy on 11/13/2007 9:59:08 PM

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW. My eyes just bugged out of my head! So many great pics on this thread. I'm wondering how I've missed it up to this point. Great work, men!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Does anybody else get to the point in a model where they get nervous/trepedacious about the next step because they dont want to mess up the work they have already done?

Karl, that happens to me with almost every project -- sometimes because I don't want to mess it up, and sometimes because I haven't figured out a good way to approach something. Eventually I jump right in, which I'm sure you will do. Heck, you can always re-paint the roof and start over if you're not happy with it.

Bruce

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  06:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, this is looking better and better. I've had the same issue as you're having about not wanting to mess things up or not knowing how to proceed. Just go slow and add a light layer of weathering at a time. I know you'll do a great job.

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I have been quietly watching your progress on this project and now it seems time to speak up. I recently purchased the Shelby's "no frills" version from SW with the intention of doing exactly what you are doing - building it in O scale. I really like the design of SW's kits and I have all the others. Shelby's was the only one I could never find ata priceI was willing to pay. When I saw the news about the no frills version I knew I had a solution.

It is great to have such a fine example to follow as yours. You are doing a fantastic job and your model is beautiful. Regarding your question, I can say yes, it happens to others too. My latest project is one of SW's O scale Mack trucks. I am on my 8th week on the project and I just put the wheels on last night I thnk with practice confidence builds and the nerves will subside a bit...

Really looking forward to your next progress photos. Keep up the grest work!

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Does anybody else get to the point in a model where they get nervous/trepedacious about the next step because they dont want to mess up the work they have already done?

Yes! It usually starts about the time I'm placing the second piece of stripwood on the template and doesn't let up until the day after I've finished the whole model.

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Latest scratch built 8 axle tank car Topic Next Topic: boats and ships terminology  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000