Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ignorant T scale question Topic Next Topic: paper structures
Page: of 105

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard of using chalks to add some color to bushes and grass and buildings , but never rocks . Great idea and good example.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  12:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been an interesting treatise on chalk coloring, Tyson. I've never tried using chalks to color rocks before - something new for me to try.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  7:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as John (Bbags) said it is a lot more forgiving than paint is.

Mike

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  8:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike (Tyson) I just like the way that sounds. Your not into ears are you?

Ok enough teasing, thanks for the tutorial and now I don't feel so dumb. Sounds like a lot of us have never heard of or tried chalks before.
It is on my list to try. I have been staining rock work with oils, acrylics, dyes, and A/I all these years and never thought of really considering chalks as an option. I am glad you open my mind to this.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  10:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Tim! There is no reason for you to feel dumb, I've seen your modeling, it's light years ahead of mine!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 10/31/2007 10:20:12 PM

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  09:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as another approach but still very similar to what Mike does, I first take the chalk and grind it. I have a cheap $3.00 tea strainer with very hard wire mesh that is bowl shaped. It came with a little bowl that the strainer fits inside of so that the tea doesn't leak from the used bag all over your table. I pick up a stick of chalk and grind it across the mesh and it falls into the little metal bowl where I retrieve it with a brush. It works really well for me and the chalk doesn't stick well to the metal bowl. When I want to change colors I dump the small amount that I always have extra into a small container I have. I do this regardless of what color the chalk is. Because I use a lot of tan, brown and black chalk I end up with a really good all around dirty color that can be used on anything to grunge it up a bit. It gives me plenty of chalk to work with without having to rub it from the chalk sticks and I get a beneficial all around color and have no waste. All and all, it is a fun way to color things.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  09:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

That reminds me of the 'plaster craft' that was popular back in the '70s. You bought a plaster casting 'in the white', and then colored it with pastel chalks. I still have a beautiful plaster stage coach lamp that my father did back then.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WB I like your idea, I may have to look for a tea strainer! Bruce that's a new one on me, I don't remember those.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  2:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever so slowly the forest creeps from right to left across the layout. Man it takes a lot of time to gather enough twigs and weeds to forest about 1.5 square feet of N scale space! This means having to deal with fresh air, sunshine and excercise, always a dangerous combination!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  9:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the "hill" is pretty much done which is good because I'm getting really tired of making trees . Not sure what I will do next but it probably won't involve much vegetation !

Mike

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  10:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very Nice, Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

You might be tired of making those trees, but they sure did turn out nice.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Looks great!
-Cody

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  05:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
Outstanding. Very nicely done.
Peter

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  05:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Mike

Page: of 105 Previous Topic: Ignorant T scale question Topic Next Topic: paper structures  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000