Railroad Line Forums - Small ON30 shelf layout design suggestions needed!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 17 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: mayor-of-plasticville ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Small ON30 shelf layout design suggestions needed!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: No Room? Topic Next Topic: Vincent Lake (very, very short) Short Line  

LURP DOG
Section Hand

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  4:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this is the proper spot for this question but I need some suggestionns for a small On30 shelf layout.
I recently picked up a Bachmann On30 040 gas engine and want to built a small shelf switching layout in my office. Total size would be 12"-16" x 84".
1. looking for suggestion on a industry or industries for the little critter to serve. (would prefer a country setting)
2. need suggestions on a track plan.

I thought about a brick company like the Palmetto Brick but I don't have enough info on the little RR.

THANX
LURP DOG

Edited by - LURP DOG on 01/18/2007 07:34:23 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  5:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that's a typo on the size and it's supposed to be 12-16 inches not 12 feet 16 inches? You would have room using a switchback to climb a hill and service a logging or mining area. The Graham Co. R.R. just serviced a fuel dealer,furniture maker (think building flats) and sawmill in town. It picked the cars up and took them to the interchange track, all of about 6 miles. All you would need is 2 sidings and a runaround at one end and 1 siding and a runaround at the other end. It would basically be level, no grades. No caboose is needed, a couple of tank cars and a couple of boxcars and flatcars for the lumber and furniture and you are all set. With 7 feet of length you could have a siding for a small loco shed in the town also and room for a small timber trestle crossing a creek on the way to the interchange. Their interchange was in the middle of the wilderness, no structures of any kind just track and bushes and trees ect.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/17/2007 5:18:00 PM

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LURP DOG

I'm particularly fond of Laurie Green's "Old Ophir" layout. http://www.lauriegreen.info/ Something along those lines might work for you.

Jim

LURP DOG
Section Hand

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  2:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx guys for the suggestions!
Tyson - I believe the Graham Co. was powered by a shay! An interesting RR.

The more I draw out a plan the more I want to know more about the Palmetto Brick RR. A loading area, a short run threw the woods/countryside, a crossing and an unloading area at the plant. Not sure if they have a small shed/repair shop at the plant. I only have a discription on the daily run of the RR and a few photos of the engines and cars being loaded but none of the unloading and of the plant.

Anyone know where I can gain more info? Most of the links have expired.

THANX AGAIN
LURP DOG

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  5:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah LURP, they ran a standard gauge shay into the late 1970's, then it started breaking down alot so they bought a SW7 to use when it was being fixed. The R.R. finally shut down it the mid 80's.
Did you try Googling the Palmetto Brick R.R.? If you know what town it was in a call to the local historical society would be in order. Also a search on Trains.com's website might turn up something.

Mike

Old Goat
New Hire

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a video of the Palmetto Brick RR on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmhXBVO4u4o

Matt

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  4:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a very nice On30 track plan in the Sept/Oct 1996 Narrow Gauge Gazette called the Payless Mining Company (author : Richard White, page 33). The space required was 18 x 72, but perhaps it could be made narrower. On one end, there was a mine and on the other end a stamp mill, with a meandering track and two switchbacks between.

Frederic Testard

Previous Topic: No Room? Topic Next Topic: Vincent Lake (very, very short) Short Line  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000