Railroad Line Forums - Peel and Stick HO shingles / shakes
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Peel and Stick HO shingles / shakes
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a Coaling tower, need help Topic Next Topic: Waterfront Willys construction thread  

sjtm
New Hire

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  2:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently started Branchline's Crosby Coal, (nifty little kit - although the cast resin base has caused some agitah). The kit contained a sheet of "peel and stick shingles" that neither peel or stick as far as I can figure. I am planning to substitue these with something else to give the building a different look, but would like some opinions on the various "peel and stick" shingle / shake products out there. There seems to be more and more manufacturers offing alternatives, but my experience is limited to LaserKit and the Campbell "Lick n Stick".

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  2:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Crystal River Products make some really nice wood shingles. He just started up a new web-site it looks like. I've used the shingles and they are stainable, also self adhesive and they do stick>

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  2:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stephen, after trying several different products, I have decided that the offerings from fellow forum member Walt (Rusty Stumps Scale Models) will become my standard. He offers them in both self-stick and without glue. Here is a link showing his many shingle offerings: http://www.rustystumps.com/products.asp?cat=2&pg=4

Bruce

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  3:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll second Bruce's recommendation. I've used RSSM's self-adhesive shake shingles several times and really like them. Here are some "in-progress" photos I took of a recent scratchbuilding project where I used them. The shingling wasn't finished in the first two photos but is in the third one. These should give you some idea of how they look when weathered and applied.

Karl Osolinski also uses them and gave them (and Walt) a good review:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9462

SteveW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  3:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had good success with "Raggs to Riches" 3 tab shingles. They make other types as well. Joe's Peel and Stick truly sticks Their webpage is www.raggstoriches.biz

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll add to the chorus of support for Rusty Stumps shingles. They came with one of his kits and I've also bought a couple of other versions to use on scratch-build or kit-mingled projects. I like them a lot.

I also like Cambells, although I don't "lick and stick" them. I use the Selios method - a thin line of white glue on the top edge, so the visibile edge isn't glued down and cut be lifted for more interesting texture.

Don

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course , if you are a real masochist and have lots of time to spare you could try Sierra Scale Models real cedar sheets . These you have to cut to size and glued on individually , which is not to bad if the roof is not very large , but the attraction might pale if you have a big roof to cover .The advantage of these is that they can be weathered and distressed as heavily as you want .

NickO

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shingles from Rusty Stumps look very good. Are they wood?. I may try to cut some down for N Scale if they would not look too thick, but then I could sand them. Will they take stain or are they pre-stained?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  12:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, the Rusty Stumps shingles are laser-cut paper. Although they come in a variety of colors and styles, they can be stained and weathered - which is what I did to the shingles in the photos above. Rather than going for a heavily weathered appearance, I used a light stain and dry brushing.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don Brimmer

The shingles from Rusty Stumps look very good. Are they wood?. I may try to cut some down for N Scale if they would not look too thick, but then I could sand them. Will they take stain or are they pre-stained?

Don; I make the shingles in N scale as well as HO, S and O scales. In all styles and colors. They are laser cut from a high wood fiber content paper stock. They take stain well but are not pre-stained as everyone likes to do their own thing. The adhesive is applied here in our shop and is as permanent as I can get.

Only thing is, I don't offer the "non-adhesive" shingles anymore. They weren't that big a seller and they are actually a lot more difficult to make. I won't go into the reasons but it's holding the sheet in the laser cutter that sets up the problems.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

Edited by - Rusty Stumps on 12/27/2006 1:57:01 PM

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  2:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve:

I am not a fan of peel & stick shingles. Infact I don't like them at all. The Sticky should be applied to the roof card not the shingles. If it is on the roof card shingles can be lifted for weathering purposes. If they are self stick this step becomes almost imposible. I use double face 3M Adhesive applied to the roof card. Then the shingles are applied. If done in this manner atleast you have a choice as to weather you want to lift any of them of not. Just my opinion.

Karl S.

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  3:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not a fan of peel and stick shakes either.
All mine are self glued and have shipped them from the UK to NZ with repeat orders. check them and the stairs out.
rich
www.rslaserkits.com

Edited by - spyder62 on 12/27/2006 3:21:38 PM

Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a Coaling tower, need help Topic Next Topic: Waterfront Willys construction thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000