Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: November 2006 "Your Favorite Photos"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: November 2006 "Your Favorite Photos"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: I found my LV slides Topic Next Topic: Newly Weathered Anthracite Stuff
Page: of 7

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  07:37:15 AM  Show Profile
Recently, fellow Forum member Larry (Brakie) posted some of his favorite pictures taken this summer. That gave me the idea for this month's Gallery Theme. Thanks, Larry!

Let's take this month to look back over our photo collection and post a few of our favorite railroad photos (either model or prototype). A few words about the photo and why it is one of your favorites would be much appreciated. You don't need to post them all at once, either--post them as you find them. Don't worry if you have already posted a copy on the Forum. We will make this a one-stop place to find those favorites!

As always, please adhere to the following posting requirements: photo files should be no more than 80kb @ 72ppi in size - even if downloading from a remote server or website - and can be no more than 7 inches in width (to prevent viewers from having to scroll back and forth to see the entire photo or read text on the same page).

Photo submissions not meeting the above requirements will be resized by the Moderator.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  08:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
Perhaps if photo width were expressed in pixels it might be easier to manage. For me anyway, I resize photos to 700-750 wide assuming some members use the 800 width on their monitors. I personally use 1024 on my 19" LCD.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  08:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Bob,

Your photos are always great, so those guidelines must work!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  09:35:47 AM  Show Profile
As a point of clarification, the file size limits date back to the early days of RR-L, when the forum software itself would not accept file attachments larger than 80kb. Although the file size restriction has been bumped up to allow attachments larger than 80kb for most threads, we continue to request the smaller files submitted to the Gallery for the sake of those who still use dial-up connections. A page loaded with large photos can take several minutes to download even with a 33k-56k modem. JPG's sized at 700pxw, with compression quality set at 66%-70% (still in the "High Quality" range) yield an on-screen image of approximately 9" X 6" at 94kb-100+kb. This is acceptable, given most monitors are now set for 1024pxw and most (but not all) of our members use high speed connections.

Also, this reminder for those submitting favorite photos: please do not post copyrighted photos unless you are the copyright owner or have permission from the copyright owner to use his/her/their photo(s). Thanks.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  7:02:20 PM  Show Profile
I have posted this photo here on RR-L before, but I rate it as one of my all time favorite photos. I took this in Montana two years ago from my car as I was driving along the e-way (not recomended by the way...).

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I'll post this one before Bob does. This is one of my favorite shots I took on the Durango & Silverton this summer. This shot shows the rugged mountain scenery found on this line. Like I say nothing like soot & mountain air to get the heart pumping!

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  7:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage
Mike, that's one heckuva a photograph...a diesel with steam! Ha! Very interesting shadows and lighting too!
Gerry...ya gotta love those mountain passes! Someday I'll have to make out there to ride that train!

I chose this photo because I was able to attract three trains to my camera lens all at the same time in Jasper, Alberta...Canada's premier passenger train, Train #1, "The Canadian" to the left..."The Rocky Mountaineer" in the background and a typical CN freight pulling into the yard to the right. While it's not an action shot, you can be sure that when any of these trains head out of the yard...they'll see some great "mountain action" if those mountains in the background have any say in the matter!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 11/01/2006 7:35:00 PM

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  9:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Gerry - that is a great photo!

Mike: Love the multiple trains. Wish I was there!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:15:18 PM  Show Profile
Great pictures to start what should be an interesting month.
My favorite pictures are 2 that I took seconds apart in while waiting in line to go through a tunnel to Whittier Alaska in 2005.
The tunnel alternates between vehicles and trains with trains taking precedence as to who goes first.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow John,

That's a real one-of-a-kind tunnel portal. That would make a neat scratchbuild for your Alaska pike. Real simple A-frame construction, but that pure geometry is very striking with the mountain backdrop.

Stevie O'

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage
Here are a couple of my favorites this month.

The first is of a Via train at Couteau Junction: CN Main on the Ontario Quebec Border. This is a great spot as you can stand on the platform the sun is dead west over the tracks so you can really light up this east bound. In this case the train slowed to about 10 miles per hour as it had to negotiate turnouts to head up North to Ottawa via (pun) the Ottawa Central.

This second image is on the Lyon Valley Northern and it is of Mike's Alder CN station. I like the angle and the lighting.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  02:48:50 AM  Show Profile

This is one of my favorite photos that I took of a module layout in Victoria, BC. It is one of my all time favorite module setups. The modules belong to the Victoria to Sidney Model Rwy Club.

This is a ghost town module. (A belated Halloween Photo)

Paul

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  05:58:20 AM  Show Profile
Great photos, guys! Really love the old ghost town.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  06:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Great topic this month and some terrific photos posted already.

This is one of my favorite recent railway photos. It's got steam, brass, steel, glass, smoke, gum trees, sunlight and was taken on a great day when we visited PaulD's new home in Emerald.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  4:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Here are two of my favorites, featuring the OVT&L's "pipe and scrap metal" car. The first one was taken with the OVT&L's machine shop in the background; the pipe car is coupled to the work train's oil tanker. I shot the photo about 3 years ago.

The second one was taken outside the OVT&L's logging repair shed; the pipe car is posed with one of the OVT&L's flat cars and donkey sled. I took this photo last year after finishing the repair shed.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  4:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage
Fabulous photos everyone! Hard to tell which ones are real and which are modelled!

This next photo I call "The Kiss". It's taken at Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island. These two RDC's
run along the E&N (Esquimalt and Nanaimo) north out of Victoria.

I can just imagine a fair maiden looking out the upper window of the station down below on the beast
that woke her...a "beauty and the beast" image!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 11/03/2006 09:01:39 AM

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: I found my LV slides Topic Next Topic: Newly Weathered Anthracite Stuff  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000