Railroad Line Forums - Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Free Design Help Topic Next Topic: Dolly Varden Mines Railway Maps/Track Diagrams
Page: of 11

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  10:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Bill

Mark, I ran into Mr. Perry at the division meet. He has expressed interst in running Jersey City. I have provided him some helpful hints so that he is ready for next session at johns.
<> Bill

Your killing me Bill!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  05:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He'll do a better job than the guy currently running it!

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  05:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steam nut said "And when I get YOUR steam engine done it better show up on this fourm! Thats right everyone, Ralph owns STEAM!"

Well, the first of the two passenger cars for the future steam powered fan trip special is halfway done. Who do you think will finish first, me or steam nut?

I can see it now. The steam powered special pulled by a diesel. Oh the shame!

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some of you may remember a thread I did a little while ago about crossing a door with an electric bridge. (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13716) Well, that bridge has been in service now for a few months, working flawlessly thanks to the valiant efforts and imagineering of forum member Steam Nut. Some of you asked 'where is it going?'

Well, our host on the CL&W, John Rahenkamp, can never stand still, and as large as his home layout is, (approximately 24X40), it just isn't large enough and there was another 1/3 of the basement that needed filling. That bridge got us to the other side, but first, let's see where we came from.

Below is the town of Clairmont, which USED to be the western terminus of the Clairmont, Lewiston and Western Railroad. A nice size town with interchanges, a small yard and lot's of switching.

The track closet to the wall in the picture below USED to be a tail track for the wye in Clairmont, but is now the main line that continues west!

The CL&W main continues west, crossing the bridge mentioned in the previous thread...

... and continues along a narrow shelf...

... and into the town of Tannersville, Pa.

As we leave Tannersville, we now can see the other trackage that enters the new room. This trackage has come through the wall from John's office where there USED to be a staging yard. That trackage comes through the wall and appears here. This trackage represents the Lehigh Valley RR on it's way to Sayre Yard. (Down Ralph!)

Backing up a little, you can see the LV main on the lower level and the CL&W main on the upper level coming around behind Bernice, the location of yet another mine area. John needs more hoppers now!

Stepping back for an overall view, you can see both main lines that parallel each other.

Turning around, you can now see the mains continue to the far end of the room. The LV trackage is going through Towanda on the lower level, which will feature more switching.

Turning slightly to the right brings what will be Sayre Yard into view. Both the LV and CLW mains converge at Sayre. That is John to the right in the photo looking over the monster he is creating!

Another view of Sayre. The LV main will continue through Sayre and loop around at the end of the peninsula in the foreground. A backdrop down the peninsula will seperate the yard area from another switching area to the right which is yet to be built. Buffalo staging will be against the far wall to the right as well.

Bruce and I have been helping John with this project, which has been moving along at a rapid pace. This extension has already been wired and is already in limiited operation, which has been very beneficial as this allows us to not only work out the kinks, but also test new schedules gradually as we phase in new trains. This new section has already made an impact on the traffic patterns!

Our schedule now has 36 runs on the call board, 7 additional trains which are turns, and 8 interchange trains that are local to various areas on the layout, for a total of 51 trains on the master schedule! We typically have about 15 operators from the south Jersey area come and enjoy the chaos every month and this new area will certainly add not only more trains, but more chaos!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  06:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More LV...Nice!

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  7:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, thank you so much for posting these great shots of John's expanding layout! You'll have to pass on my congratulations his way for taking on such a large expansion.

I particularly enjoy your tour of the layout from one section to the next in photos. It helps me to gain a better sense of the operations.

My only wish is that I lived closer to you, John, Ralph and the others so that I could operate your layouts with you. Seeing them here at the forum, though, is the next best thing!!!

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 03/28/2007 7:46:13 PM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  9:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Mark. Looks like you really had a full operating sission. What a great layout. Nice photos ..it gives a great perspective on the fun you are having

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  12:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Mike and Chris, if you ever do make it down to the Philly area, you should know by now that you are always welcome to join in on our wacky group! John's is only one of many great layouts in this area geared for operation.

Yes, John's layout is large. This expansion adds another 20' in length, making it now roughly 24' x 60'!

Chris, we operate monthly at John's. We've been operating there for over 10 years now and the layout keeps roughly 15 operators busy (and I mean busy!) for well over 4 hours. We always have a great time!

Mark

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  5:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, Some day Chris and I will just have to hop in the car and keep driving southeast until we reach your area of the country!

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  12:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be great Mike. We can line up some great sessions for you guys. But, let's not tell Ralph, ok? I want you to leave with a good impression our group!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it wrong again, eh bud! After meeting you, they will never eat mushrooms again! Besides, if I see them two coming up the drive, Im getting the 12 gauge!

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  10:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We will be careful. The 12 guage we can handle just hope you don't play the banjo.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  12:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah Chris, don't worry about Ralph and the '12 gauge'. Remember, he's an accountant. He wouldn't know what end to hold!

Mark

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  02:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, . .Thanks for sharing the experience. 44 trains, that's quite a few for a home layout. Looks like the fellows have a great time getting together.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  05:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Ah Chris, don't worry about Ralph and the '12 gauge'. Remember, he's an accountant. He wouldn't know what end to hold!

Yes my friend. But you do know what end to hold.

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Free Design Help Topic Next Topic: Dolly Varden Mines Railway Maps/Track Diagrams  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000