Railroad Line Forums - The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Gallery Glass-new technique learned by accident Topic Next Topic: 1:1 scale
Page: of 34

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  03:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some really slick moves there Christopher! When you originally posted the first set of pics and the mechanism I was pretty curious to see the finished product. Great job!
The hair leash idea is pretty ingenious, I couldn't afford to use any of mine tho I haven't got many to waste

Steve

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  04:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A true work of art and engineering, it's amazing how you got everything together, you have a wonderful diorama and at the same time it moves, Congratulations Christopher.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  06:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christopher,
Your PBL entry is one of the most incredible displays I have ever seen. I sent the link to the videos to everyone I know that is into trains. Your work is inspiring, fantastic, wonderful, (and a bunch more adjectives I can't think of right now!).

Amazing, simply amazing.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  07:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Christopher on a phenominal result. The modeling above is incredibly detailed and fascinating and pulls you in to the details, very well put together with a very creative flow to all the elements, amazing. Underneath the incredible modeling is a masterpiece of miniature engineering. The video of how it works is excellent and most informative. It reminds me of one of those Victorian Period toys the 'rich kids' got back in the 19th century.
Fantastic work, very well done.
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/09/2007 07:59:03 AM

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  08:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christopher -

That is the work af a very WARPED mind!! But it is just fabulous Thanks very much for sharing, and especially for the videos. I know my friends would never believe your work without them!!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  08:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christopher,

You always amaze me with your creative work. This latest project raises the bar again. Thanks for the video showing the animation and the mechanism that makes it all work.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  09:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
T.C. while that is awesome animation it is also some darn fine modeling!

Mike

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  09:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way To Go Christopher,

That little diorama is so far over the top it's stratospheric.

Just an incredibly fine job of engineering, narrative, and top notch modeling. You have definitely crammed ten pounds of **** into a one pound bag.

BTW, the song Cripple Creek playing in your video, is the first song I ever learned to play on the five-string banjo in my youth. It works perfectly with your multi-animated mini scenes.

The kid on the roof, see-sawing the old pickup, is an absolutely righteous piece of reality that is so familiar but never mentioned or modeled.

You combine some of the best aspects of Walt Disney and Rube Goldberg. I'm truly in awe of your creativity, ingenuity and perserverence. As Einstein said, genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Stevie O'

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christopher, your diorama is masterfully conceived and executed. Well done.

As you think, so will you be.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  1:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is just totally cool, Christopher! Question....was that you playing the banjo?

Hume Lumber Co
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  2:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hume Lumber Co's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christopher,

I must say that I give you my vote even if you are a week late. Originally I thought your impressive mechanical stuff was just a nightmare. But now with the finished product I am truly amazed. Great detail work. It is my favorite pbjc. What a fun project!

Okay I have one suggestion for you. Maybe you could hide all the mechanical stuff in a slick case… And make it easy to remove. I think it would really give it a clean edge…

Again thanks for listing all the photos.

Matthew

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  11:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much for your kind remarks. They are very much appreciated.

I had a whim that turned in to a day dream, and so I built it.

Sometimes I spend years thinking about building this sort of thing and collecting parts and pieces and drawing sketches. In fact, I have been planning an animated Halloween diorama for 2 years now. Last fall I was going to start on that diorama when the PBL challenge came along. I decided to use the PBL as a learning experiance and a way to experiment with small mechanisms. When I started I had no idea it would become so complex.

I have a whole bunch of Halloween peeps in "O" gauge that I have been collecting. I also have a rather large plastic jack-o-lantern, about 2 feet tall, that I will build the diorama to fit inside. This will be my first model in "O" gauge.

There are a lot of firsts in the PBL model. The first time I made a tree with the "ball of batten" technique. the first time I ever did the peeling paint effect on the fence. The first also for painting LPBs. My first go at planting brush, weeds and tufts of grass. The first time I used MikeC's "kitty litter in the paint" trick.

To be honest, there are some parts I am not happy with, but I was in a hurry to complete the thing on time so I had to settle. I never got the bark detail on the tree the way I wanted. I saw an article where the fellow used Child's Library Paste to get a terrific cracked texture on the trunk, but I was unable to find a jar of that paste anywhere around here, and I looked for weeks. The foliage on the tree looks awfull, I think. I was wanting something more translucent. The tree turned out to be blobs of green on sticks (IMO). My wife liked the tree without any greenery on it, like the tree was dead, but I hadn't allowed for this and the ends of the branches were too thick and heavy. Being so close to finishing, I was not about to re-carve the tree, so I went for my original idea.

Anyway, I'm glad to get the thing off my bench and now I can work on other projects that are less intense. I joined the MOW challenge, so I might see you over there. It was a whole lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next animated diorama. That will be the Halloween one.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  12:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

That is just totally cool, Christopher! Question....was that you playing the banjo?

No Al. I wish I could play the banjo.

Pickin' and-a grinin'.

Christopher

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  12:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christopher,

That is one amazing piece of work! I think it's up there with the remote controled N scale VW bus as THE COOLEST THINGS I HAVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET!

-Cody

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  01:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Graff

Okay I have one suggestion for you. Maybe you could hide all the mechanical stuff in a slick case… And make it easy to remove. I think it would really give it a clean edge…

Yeah, Matthew. This is what I was discussing with my wife. I also want to make a glass case for it to keep it dust free.

Soon.

Christopher

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Gallery Glass-new technique learned by accident Topic Next Topic: 1:1 scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000