Railroad Line Forums - The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Faire to Midland ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The Peanut Butter Lid Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Gallery Glass-new technique learned by accident Topic Next Topic: 1:1 scale
Page: of 34

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  10:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey T.C. how's your PB lid coming along? We need an update!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  12:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrainClown

I made it out of wood. I turned it in my drill like a lathe.

Now that is ingenious !! and an excellent result too.

Well Sat night I spent alot of time talking into the "big porcelain telephone" instead of sleeping. As I was awake anyway, and no one else was I found my way into my 'work' area. I looked around at the countless unfinished projects trying to decide which to work on, none struck my fancy so I started a new project

Plans are changing for my "one foot challenge" so I grabbed my new structure and a few hours later it was through. So....

It had been many years since Slim had been out to the old tractor shed on his fathers farm.

As he stood and stared at the decaying old tractor Slim's mind wandered back to the day his father taught him how to drive it, a smile crossed his lips as he remembered his 10th birthday....

As he smiled to himself the years and the troubles melted from his eyes, he walked slowly past the tractor and around the corner.

As he got to the back of the shed Slim laughed, there behind a small bush were the five cans of paint he had hidden there so long ago, he could hear his fathers voice echoing from the past... "Slim! help me find that paint, we need to paint this shed before the weather turns for the worse"

At 16 Slim had other things on his mind, Mary-Beth was one of them and painting came a distant second. He turned the corner to the back of the shed where they had shared their first kiss....

After a few moments thought Slim headed on around the shed till he was back at the door.

Ecellent start on the bunkhouse Matthew, as has been stated, rough timber and minimal comfort would be my perception of the sleeping quarters.

Trainclown: I hope its not gonna take till feb 28 to see that mechanical masterpiece in action, simply amazing work.

Regards
Karl.

Edit:Fixed the colour balance and reposted the pics

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/31/2007 05:47:31 AM

Hume Lumber Co
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  01:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hume Lumber Co's Homepage  Reply with Quote
T.C. Thanks for the ideas. I will see what I can do. I like to potbelly. I was thinking about trunks and you have a really neat one. I was wondering about the steps great idea about the studs on the wall. We will have to see what other ideas people have.

Karl, I like your scene. Good to see that slim is out looking at the tractor. I am sure I will not be done before Feb 28th. Look how long it took me to get started;)

Matthew

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, that is a wonderful scene, love the vegetation.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  07:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Karl,

Way to go!! I really like the shed/garage. It reminds me of one I saw once in East Tennessee!

Who makes the tractor?

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 01/30/2007 07:06:58 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl great story and great modeling!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  2:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, it was a fun little project to do.

Paul the tractor is from Woodland Scenics and comes two to a pack in whitemetal kits.

Regards
Karl.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, nice job! I enjoyed the story that went with it!

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  12:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shweeet tractor, Karl. In fact, the whole thing is real nicely done.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the beginnings of my peanut butter lid project. It is going to be an abandoned combine sitting on some long forgotten spur. It's old, lots of things are missing or broken, and now a hobo community lives in it. The passenger end of the car is going to be badly over grown so there won't be any details visible on that end. The baggage end will be fairly clear where the hobos maintain things a bit better. A large tree will be in the grassy area out front of the car.
I still have to build a pot belly stove for the baggage portion. It will have a micro red led embedded in it and will be why the car is so popular on a chilly day.

First off a shot of the side. I had a grab iron on the side and then broke it off. I didn't realize it until I was taking the photo.

View from the end with broken and bent railing.

Lastly a view from top down.

RodH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  7:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuyPlans are changing for my "one foot challenge" so I grabbed my new structure and a few hours later it was through. So...
Karl, Lovely little diorama. I really like the weeds and tree; but your barrel looks a tad shiny.

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  8:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice Karl, and the story adds to the whole scene.

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  3:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Hey T.C. how's your PB lid coming along? We need an update!

Hey, Tyson, is that the royal "We" or the collective "We"?

Well, what can I tell you. The mechanical part of the device is complete now and for the last few months I have been working on details (when I have been able to get to the bench...that is).

I spent all morning today making a junk door. I think it takes more time and planning to make rotten old junk than it does to make new stuff. I'm right in the midst of the tree house construction. Coming up with ideas for found junk for my peeps to put in there fort.

I am not posting pix right now as I don't want to diminish the final surprise. Things are moving forward though. The plaster work is all done. Roots are made for the tree. Base coat is on everything. The L.P.Kids are all painted (at last!).

There are 2 more movements I managed to glean off the mechanism that you guys haven't seen yet, so now there are 6 individual movements from the one motor.

WOW! Marc! That is one sweet tank. Even better than the real thing. Outstanding work!

Well, it's back to the bench now. More will follow... so... "Don't touch that dial!"

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  5:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear you are still at it T.C. and it was a collective "WE".

Wabash I'm looking forward to see what you do with that combine!

Hume Lumber Co
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  01:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hume Lumber Co's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I would post the progress I have made on the bunkhouse.

As you can see the LP have got the triple bunk in. Each bed has a mattress and pillows…

The potbelly stove was as everything you see had made from scratch parts. I think the stove pipe is too big maybe 8 scale inches… So it may need to be changed… Christopher you are to thank for the process of making it. I did use the drill and chuck approach. But I used brass rather than wood.

Also, I found this link helpful for the design: http://www.goodtimestove.com/special_sections/special.php?specialId=1070. I shrunk down a picture and used it as a prototype. I really hope to finish by the end of the month.

I accept all constructive criticism, input and ideas. I believe it makes for a better model.

Thanks,

Matthew

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Gallery Glass-new technique learned by accident Topic Next Topic: 1:1 scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000