Railroad Line Forums - Stormy weather modeling vs sunny weather
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 66 ]  [ Newest Member: Tom Pruyne ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Stormy weather modeling vs sunny weather
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Wreck On The MTC Topic Next Topic: THE GALLERY: June 2006  Rural Splendor
Page: of 2

Jim 6
Section Hand

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  9:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,

I am building a layout that represents the NYC Michigan Branch in north central Indiana. This line passes through farm country and the line is single track. While most layouts I have seen are set in sunny weather or a few in winter with snow, I am planning a fall setting with stormy sky.

I visited Tom Johnson (INRAIL) last Saturday and took a couple hundered photos. Below is one (significantly reduced in size). Tom's layout has blue sky and puggy clouds on the backdrop. In this photo I removed the color, tinted the sky, toned down the color of the foliage, then reduced brightness and contrast a bot to represent the fall "mood" that I am after.

What are your thoughts?

Jim Six

Jim Six
Modeling the NYC Michigan Branch

spovlot
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  9:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

I really like the mood this stormy background represents. You might consider doing this in one area and then transitioning into a brighter sky in a different area. This happens often in "real life" when the clouds break into a sunny clear sky a few miles away.

Great photo!

Scott Povlot
HO Scale - Central of Georgia Railway, Atlanta District
Piedmont Division, NMRA (Atlanta, Georgia) - http://www.piedmont-div.org

Jim 6
Section Hand

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  10:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Scott. It will be nice if all the sky is fall, but not all the same. I have to be careful that the difference between one area and another is not too great. I think they have to look like they go together. Time to start studying stormy fall sky photos!

Thanks for your kind words on t=he photo. I have to credit Tom (INRAIL) for the great layout or the photo wouldn't exist!

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by spovlot

Jim,

I really like the mood this stormy background represents. You might consider doing this in one area and then transitioning into a brighter sky in a different area. This happens often in "real life" when the clouds break into a sunny clear sky a few miles away.

Great photo!

Jim Six

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  10:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
I recommend that you take a look at Trussman's thread about his layout backdrop. He has had an artist custom painting his backdrop and as I recall it there were some stormy sky to better - sky transistions. This might give you a little idea of how to make the transition.
I always like the fall scenes on a layout. They add so much color and dimension, and living in Michigan I can tell you that the fall colors here are second to none!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  11:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
That does sound interesting.
We do have a forum which is all about backdrops and it is in the Model Railroad Construction Forum.

If you look at the following page

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3884&whichpage=10

from that forum and go down the page until you reach a post by rrkreitler you will see how he did his stormy sky.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Tom Johnson is a great modeler which helps in all photos. I am curious what program you used to change the sky etc?
I am hoping to learn Photoshop so I can do the same type thing before we paint the backdrop.

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful looking photo, Jim, thanks for sharing it. I can feel the mood in it -- those balmy, stormy days of fall.
And kudos to Tom on a fantastic looking layout. Truly phenomenal.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  04:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim, really that person you have painting your back drops could paint any thing any way you want it. I mean your sky already transitions from dusk to dawn. Don't go messing with perfection..... Oh ya I say again you need to send your painter my way when your done with him/her.

Mike J

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  07:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, Love the clouds. It brings a different dimension to the layout. If and when I ever start my layout, this will be something for me to consider. Who was the person who did the backdrop?

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  08:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, Thanks for the Construction forum site.What would I do without your broad knowledge base.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  09:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike J,

Believe me I am not switching, but I can see the use of a computer to change or add different types of backdrops. This way you can see what might look the best for a paryicular area.

Jim, I am transitioning from a sunset to a noon sky in several places. Here is a link to a thread that was started that shows a number of layout rooms and their backdrops. I have a few pics in this thread.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12550

Jim 6
Section Hand

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  09:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use two programs for photo editing - Photoshop Elements and Photoshop 7. Elements is the cheap one, but it has some shortcut features that the more expensive Photoshop 7 does not have. So, I almost always start with Elements and in fact, 99% of the time this is all it takes. If elements won't do what I want, then I switch to 7. All the editing I did to this photo of Tom's elevator scene was done with Photoshop Elements. I highly recommend it.

Jim Six

quote:
Originally posted by trussman

Jim,

Tom Johnson is a great modeler which helps in all photos. I am curious what program you used to change the sky etc?
I am hoping to learn Photoshop so I can do the same type thing before we paint the backdrop.

Jim Six

Jim 6
Section Hand

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The layout in the photo was built by Tom Johnson. Tom is an art teacher and an excellent artist. He painted the backdrop himself. Below is the original photo I shot before editing the sky and toning down the color. I know, many of you will prefer the blue sky appearance over the sark, stormy appearance, but that's OK. Apparently Tom does too! <grin>

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by kay4pacific

Jim, Love the clouds. It brings a different dimension to the layout. If and when I ever start my layout, this will be something for me to consider. Who was the person who did the backdrop?

Jim Six

crabster
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like what you did Jim. I also agree that transitioning from good to bad weather is a cool idea.

Hey, when ya gonna post some of those pics you tokk of INRAIL?????

Jim 6
Section Hand

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hae to hold back on the photo since they were taken for a magazine article. The publisher would cancel the deal if I shared the photos for publication. However, I will be doing another photo session at Tom's next Saturday and will have enough to share by then.

Jim

quote:

Hey, when ya gonna post some of those pics you tokk of INRAIL?????

Jim Six

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  10:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim.....I was glad to see you're on Railroad Line! I look forward to your contributions. I've read many of your magazine/book articles through the years.

To give my two cents regarding your post, I prefer the "sunny look" but have to say the picture you altered does look real good. I tend to agree with what Scott said about transitioning into sunny weather or vice versa.

John Knapp
Sellersville, PA

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1292

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Wreck On The MTC Topic Next Topic: THE GALLERY: June 2006  Rural Splendor  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000