Railroad Line Forums - THE GALLERY: June 2006 "Rural Splendor"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 THE GALLERY: June 2006 "Rural Splendor"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Stormy weather modeling vs sunny weather Topic Next Topic: resizing downloads
Page: of 13

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Railroads certainly serve the urban centers, but were historically the lifeblood of the rural areas. Our theme this month will celebrate the role that railroads played (and still play) in rural settings. Photos depicting logging, mining, farming, grain mills, creameries, ice houses, or photos of trains simply running through the countryside are all good examples of what I hope to see appear in this month’s gallery – and there are many more examples, I am sure. Either model or prototype photos are welcome.

BTW, if you do an internet search of ‘Rural Splendor’, you will get many, many hits. It seems to be a term that is often used to describe rural settings. One of the hits that I got was this photography site. I think you will enjoy many of his pictures. http://www.dougfredericks.com/ .

As always, please adhere to the following posting requirements: photo files should be no more than 80kb @ 72ppi in size - even if downloading from a remote server or website - and can be no more than 7 inches in width (to prevent viewers from having to scroll back and forth to see the entire photo or read text on the same page).

Photo submissions not meeting the above requirements will be resized by the Moderator.

Members who enjoy urban modeling, do not loose heart. I am sure that an urban theme is sure to follow. In the meantime, let’s see some of those rural scenes.

Edited by - Dutchman on 06/01/2006 11:15:38 AM

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  10:27:55 AM  Show Profile
Nice topic, Bruce, sometimes we rural types seem to be left out. So here are a few to get the ball rolling. Most have been posted elsewhere, but they fit the Gallery topic.

I've always had a thing for roadside scenes. This is a postcard of a Stuckey's (remember those?) "Pecan Station" in Georgia and my version of the scene.

You may remember that the prototype Louisville & Wadley had a 3/4 mile trestle crossing the Ogeechee river. Here's the prototype and my version of same.

Finally, here are a few scenes of trains rolling through the rural Georgia countryside.

Hope you enjoy.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  10:36:19 AM  Show Profile
June???

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  10:42:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

June???

That took a minute ... I thought you too were caught off guard with it already being JUNE!. But we are off to a good start with Steve's pics. I need to dig through my photos - I know I can fill in some space here.

Joe <><

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
Here's a rural abandoned feed mill, with a couple of old timers chatting next to the torn up rails:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:17:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

June???

Thanks, Karl. I was a victim of 'cutting & pasting'.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  1:20:58 PM  Show Profile

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  3:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Steve, Bob, & Mike,

Thanks for those early postings. They are all great exemplars of this month's theme.

Rich J
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Steve, Bob, and Mike. Great pictures. You guys really have a wonderful visual sense. Thanks for sharing.

This is Cartwright's Machine Shop, one of only two industries in Beaver Meadows in the very splendorous rural corner of the F&SM

Rich J.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  06:23:40 AM  Show Profile
I can see this is going to be another great month for photos. Those posted so far are excellent!

Steve: I like how you posted the original and then your spin on that setting. It sure shows how creative you are!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  2:51:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cigarguy
Steve: I like how you posted the original and then your spin on that setting.

Thanks, Mike and everyone. While the L&WS is loosely based on the Louisville & Wadley, I'm not trying to model anything specific; just trying to capture the flavor. Here's another duo that is about the closest I've come to modeling the prototype.

I had this scene planned out long before I started building, thus the captions. I think the cotton mill complex qualifies as rural.

Hope you enjoy.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  3:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message
Wow only June 2nd and some fantastic work. I can see I need to plant some structures soon, so I can add a few shots. Won't be the same as these great photo's but I cant take up some space.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  4:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
A prototype shot I took last fall - a local short line, New Brunswick Southern, has a short passenger trip several times a year with proceeds going to a local hospital:

Taken along the St. John River at Westfield, NB Canada

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 06/02/2006 4:30:13 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  5:05:37 PM  Show Profile
Jumping in on the prototype side, here is the Black River & Western GP9 working the NS interchange in mid-Jersey.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  10:19:59 PM  Show Profile

...not a building in sight ... for miles. Seems pretty rural to me.

Joe <><

Rich J
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  11:15:21 PM  Show Profile
This shot proudly displays some rural splendor of Andover, MA.

Next to Penguin Park, the B&M Haverhill line to Boston crosses over Burnham Rd. I used to run by here every morning at 5:30 before going to work for about 10 years, all year round rain, shine, or snow.

The throat switch to the Lawrence, MA yard is just to the left of this overpass.

Rich J.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Stormy weather modeling vs sunny weather Topic Next Topic: resizing downloads  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000