Railroad Line Forums - B.T.S. Kits
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 45 ]  [ Total: 50 ]  [ Newest Member: GNMT76 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 B.T.S. Kits
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: FSM Coal and Sand Shed Topic Next Topic: Basswood Strip & Sheet Shopping List Help Needed  

captainjack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  03:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys;
New here(very), but wanted to ask for an opinion
about a kit I just bought.
I've looked, but could not find any comments on
kits by B.T.S. I'm just getting back into model
railroading now that I'm just about done with a
six year build of my new house(never let a detail
oreintated person build a house!) I've bought
craftsmen style kits(no plastic) over the years
and now plan on starting to build them. I have five Bowser loco's, about 50 kits of
rolling stock and several structure kits(CC Crow
six stall NP Roundhouse, FSM kits, etc.)and I just
bought the McCabe Lumber Co. by B.T.S.
When I received the kit and opened it, I was
impressed with the level of detail, the componints included and the instructions. The
parts are laser cut, but the level of manufacture is outstanding(all the parts have
part numbers etched onto them!)
My intent is to buy almost the whole lumber yard
set(about $1000.) and have it ocupy one quadrent
of my future layout; and finally my question.
I've seen alot of threads on other manufacturers
on this forum, but not B.T.S., am I missing
something? Is this kit not on par with other
craftsmen style kits? I know it is really a matter of choice on which kits we want to build,
but if there is something better out there for
a lumber mill set up, please steer me in the right direction.
Thanks for any help,
CaptainJack

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  06:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Jack, here are some things for you to look at. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8199&whichpage=1

is my scratchbuild in progress, there are two other folks here that have the sawmill, Jim and Ed, I know Jim has started his and has a webpage for the construction progress.
http://wanlass.com/jim/mr/jt/craftsmen/LPsawmillcomplex/slatyforksawmill/index.html

I don't know if Ed has started his. I think they look great but are just a little pricey for me. Pat

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  09:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack,

I have not built the kit, but have seen it at the B.T.S. booth at a show. It is a beauty, as are some of the other B.T.S. structures that I've seen. here are two pics from a Jersey
show back in '05.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  10:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Jack, welcome to the Forum. I've built a number of BTS kits over the years. They're high quality and fun to build. The instructions are pretty good as well. Hope this helps.

rtbaron
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  4:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack....I have 2 BTS kits (Coon Gap Sawmill & Coal Tipple) in O Scale and are my favorites. Instructions are clear and materials are top quality. I haven't built them yet but looking forward to these great kits as an addition to my future layout.

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  5:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built Coon Gap as well. IT IS GREAT MOD> Someonex ese on the forum has some great photos of his finished and installed on his layout My only complaint with the kits is, believe it or not, that they are too detailed. By this I mean that many of the really neat details (roof trusses, scribed floors, etc.) end up unseen when the model is complete. We kn ow they're there, but casual observers never see them to appreciate them.

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  6:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome Jack from one newbie to another!

I have built several kits from BTS/Master Creations and I recommend them whole-heartedly!!!!! I am addicted to laser kit construction and these are truly masterpieces. They are a delight to build from start to finish –well-illustrated instructions, precisely cut parts, and intricate detail. My R.L. Graves pulp mill (Hyde Pulp Mill kit) is my very favorite structure I have ever built. Actually, I should say structures because there are 10 of them in the kit!! I think it is some of my best work. I have also bit several structures from the McCabe Lumber series. Again, a joy to build and a great source of pride when completed. Here are some shots of my BTS/Master Creations structures from my MA&G layout.

I highly recommend anything from BTS….plus Bill is a heck of a nice guy to deal with!!!

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  7:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maandg

I highly recommend anything from BTS.

The small kits are great, too...this is the first BTS kit that I've ever built and this one even came with a scale doorknob!

Kaz
New Hire

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  12:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good day Jack

I'm new here as well and glad you asked the question - it crossed my mind a couple of times as I've been waiting for BTS to release their Car Float kit. The images on their web site look great.

Thanks for info everyone, and really nice work Cliff.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  06:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Cliff -- welcome to the forum. That is really beautiful work! The figures are equally impressive. Could you talk a little bit about what make you started out with and (if you painted them yourself), how you painted them?

Don Reed
Pittsburgh

Previous Topic: FSM Coal and Sand Shed Topic Next Topic: Basswood Strip & Sheet Shopping List Help Needed  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000