Railroad Line Forums - Diesels in action on your layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 Diesels in action on your layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detailing an HO P1K RDC for the B&M Topic Next Topic: SW1200 Dynamic Brake Housing
Page: of 16

tankertoad70
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
how about bringing one of his interchange cars down for a photo ops at your club? I think I'm in need of a break from the mole patrol.

Hey Allen, come on down. Just lemme know when ya wanna do it and we'll set up a time. We do start our November Open House on 3 Nov, Noon to 1700. Perhaps you could drop by around 1030 or so, afore we start running the trains?

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  3:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger, Roger! . .Thanks, Don! I'll try to make it to your open house.

quote:
Originally posted by tankertoad70

. . .Perhaps you could drop by around 1030 or so, afore we start running the trains/ . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daylight comes late to the Lehigh Gorge due to the mountains blocking the early morning sun. We were camped out hoping to get Apollo 1 west but it arrived just a little to early. This is as good as we could get.

Edited by - LVRALPH on 10/28/2007 10:49:27 AM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ralph. I could not resist playing with your photo. A great night shot. I hope you dont mind. Added some lights, lens flare and blue floods using photoshop CS.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris, that looks awesome! Not sure if you intended this one effect, but the 'beam' of light across the trees really looks sharp too! Nice job.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  04:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph, . .Love that GP38 and its setting.

Chris, . .The thing I like best about your edit is the lighting, both from the engine and from the sky.

quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

Daylight comes late to the Lehigh Gorge due to the mountains blocking the early morning sun. . .

Allen

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  7:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, . .Please remember to bring your freshly painted GN RS-1 for the photo shoot on the 3rd. I will try to be there as close to 10-10:30 AM as possible. I look forward to seeing you.

quote:
Originally posted by tankertoad70

Hey Allen, . .Just lemme know when ya wanna do it and we'll set up a time. . .

Allen

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  7:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Chris for the improvement. I wish I had that kind of talent!

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Overland just released their new SD70-2M and mine just arrived. CN 8000 is a real beauty and the workmanship is excellent. Took a while to get but well worth the wait.

I will post pictures of the port side and rear which also has ditch lights.

Chris Lyon

Edited by - LVN on 10/30/2007 12:39:33 PM

hoggrken
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  12:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris... your SD70M-2 model is simply incredible! Have you had any issues with wheelslip, as we have had with the prototypes?

The new order CN SD70M-2's (with LocoTrol 'push me, pull you' setup and nose mounted headlight)) have been fraught with problems right out of the EMDI (London ON) factory.The powers-that-be at CN are 'not impressed'

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  6:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No wheel slip on this one, but of course the operator is far superior. Have not smashed any teletype buildings in the yard yet. I have been running it for about four hours now. It seems a little dry in the gears and I am getting small squeeks. That is pretty normal. After a few more hours I will remove the shell and lub the gears just a little. What is the story with the headlight. They did put some covers under them so not to blind the driver. But I bet they are still bad in the blizzard conditions. My computer software from digitrax is fine and the control is quiet.

Chris Lyon

shadetreekid
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris

Great looking model. I wonder what it would like in CP colors!

Don Leger
Ottawa ON
Canada

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  7:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure. You will have to ask the CP board of directors if they have any plan to purchase. With all the CN problems with the prototype as mentioned by Kenny, I think CP should stay away from this one.

Chris Lyon

hoggrken
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  8:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don and Chris...An additional note on the CN SD70M-2's...

For whatever reason, CN purchased 25 SD70M-2 locomtives (8000-8024) from EMDI London, that were 'orphaned' (units were built but the original purchase order was cancelled or not exercised for whatever reason).Rumour has it these were originally slated for NS. A quick refit for CN operations (flush toilets, microwaves, SBU/EOT/TIBS gear, RCS alertor, etc) and they were delivered. They were a real 'problem child' from the get-go, which resulted in the onboard FIRE computer systems being reprogrammed. They seem 'OK' (only) now, whereas the GE ES44DC's are an outstanding locomotive by comparison.

I have operated SD70M-2's, the ES44DC 'GEVO's and actually ran a CP AC4400CW on a detour train. The strongest contender was the CP AC by far. The dynamic brakes almost threw me out of the chair...again, eh...Chris? , but the CN DC GEVO is a fine bit of kit...I have a photo of one of our ES44DC's on my avatar...taken from the 'driver's seat' of a Dash 9-44CW, no less!

Don...here's a tip...stick with the CP AC4400's or a nice shiny ES44AC! I think the CP brain trust is on to something good here, IMO

Ken.

Edited by - hoggrken on 11/14/2007 8:41:09 PM

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  10:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting perspective, Ken, thanks.

quote:
HoggrKen said...

CN DC GEVO is a fine bit of kit....

Not sure of your meaning there. Sounds like it might be a negative thing, tho.

Edited by - k9wrangler on 11/15/2007 10:26:08 AM

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: Detailing an HO P1K RDC for the B&M Topic Next Topic: SW1200 Dynamic Brake Housing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000