Railroad Line Forums - BTS Slatyfork Sawmill Complex
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: Seabee Don ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 BTS Slatyfork Sawmill Complex
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Rubbles Depot; O Scale Topic Next Topic: Built REA Horseshoe Meadows Depot for NNGC
Page: of 4

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  9:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just catchin up to this build.

Jim, very impressive feat of modeling on this huge complex. Those pieces of machinery inside are really well detailed and painted. Somehow, I must have missed who makes this kit.

I took a trip off to Pat's link and checked his sawmill out. Outstanding work, and in HO scale. Pat (Belg), if you read this, I was very impressed by your molds, of the brick, stone, and detail castings. Is there somewhere that your technique for doing them, is posted?

For both you guys, that is a fantastic commitment to extensive modeling of one huge complex. I never tried anything of that scope. I find it way too daunting, but really admire your dedication and high level skills.

Stevie O'

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  07:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Outstanding!!!!!!!
However having viewed your work in the past I an not surprised at what I see.
For those not familiar with Jim's work check out his web site.

http://wanlass.com/jim/mr/jt/index.html

Check out the Backyard Riding Railroad which comes with a video tour of his back yard from the train.

I also like the white contrast of the interior with the red of the outside.
It sure does make the machinery stand out.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, you're doing a heck of a job on this kit. The sawmill and machinery look great.

As you think, so will you be.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  07:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I see a thread like this, it makes me wish I was into logging. Realizing, you can't do it all I sit back and enjoy threads like this. Outstanding work!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  07:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Eighty windows would be enough to send me off the deep end. But, the job you did with them, modeling them in a variety of positions, really paid off.

I like the white interior. It should help make the interior detailing stand out better.

What a great job you are doing. Thanks for the update.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Besides putting pictures up on my website I like sharing them here and getting the feedback. I think I actually enjoyed doing all the windows The key seemed to be taking my time. I worked 10-20 at a time over several days. The greatest reward was seeing them all installed and what a difference it makes!

I've finally made some updates to my web site. I changed hosting services and misplaced the log in info Eventually I'll be updating other things I've done over the last year. I can't believe it's been so long since I've updated it.

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  10:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Steve O', BTS makes the kit http://www.btsrr.com/

I know there are a lot of threads about trees but I'm posting something about it here
Now that I've got all the windows done I've been putting off putting together the jack slip. Among other things this is one reason: I finally scratch-built my first pine tree. Here are two pictures of the same tree. I followed the instructions as listed on the http://trevinocircle.com/sippin/index.html web site. This one does not have the Selkirk Scenery netting (I have it on order.) That just makes for a little fuller tree. I'm excited about how it turned out and am ready to start making LOTS!!!

I am calling this the Lone Pine Lumber Co. Slatyfork Sawmill.

I'm also updating my website almost daily with things I've worked on over the last year.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  3:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I guess since you and I are the only ones building this mill we can share this thread, you are making some real nice progress on the interior finishes and machinery.

Steve'O, thanks for the nice comment, and almost all the molds were made from things I've made or bought and figured I would use more than one of so I put them into a couple of different molds for future use. No real thread just the instructions on the product you buy, if you are thinking of making some molds I think for future projects I'm going to look into a vacuum pot, to de-air them. Pat

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  4:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pat and others, thanks for all the comments and whoever else may have any of these kits started or not, feel free to join in and post away!

I'd like to get the jack slip done this next week but my mom is going to be in town so I may not be able to get to it. Right now I'm off to a train show!!!!

lambtbr2
New Hire

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  6:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Send lambtbr2 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

It is great to see other members work on the Slatyfork Sawmill. Attached are a couple of pic of my progress.(Can't get them to upload, I have to go back and figure out the problem and sent them later.) The Slatyfork is to become the main structures on a model of the North Western Mill complex on my model of the Grays Harbor Branch at Hoquiam Washington state. I've finished the camp cars, well advanced on the mill office and started the mill.

After reading the instructions, I see that Bill wants us to install the window casing after puttiing the walls up. I usually like to put the window casing in the walls before they go together. Is there any reason why this shouldn't work on the the mill structure? It is an exciting project and I'll keep up a few posting on the progress.

George Wilhelm
Building the NP Grays Harbor Branch in HO.

lambtbr2
New Hire

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  11:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Send lambtbr2 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is another attempt to post a couple of pic of my efforts todate on the Slatyfork sawmill

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/lambtbr2/20063423114_SawmillSite_A.jpg

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  11:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
George, welcome! Have you been to my website? I've got most of the camp cars started but only one, I think, is 99% finished. I'm glad to see someone else working on this awesome collection of kits!

At the train show today I saw someone trying to sell a mill that has been built that is very similar to this one. It had all the interior details that I'm working on so it was cool to see it all done. It was a little hard to see through the rafters. One thing I like about the mill we're building is that the rafters are a part of the removable roof so it's easier to see the details. They even had some details (not too many) in the sawfiler's room. The guy said he'd give it to me for a good price if I wanted another one. I already have too many sawmills and I want to make it myself. But I did like seeing it to compare. It was a really good show! Now back to modeling!!!

lambtbr2
New Hire

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  01:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Send lambtbr2 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jim
A couple of the modifications I plan on the mill include: Painting the structures with a Delta Creamcoat color PALOMINO TAN. As far as I can tell from b&W picture of the Northwestern mill in Hoquiam, it was a light color. Also, since the mill is located in the rainy NW with many gray days, I would like to figure out how to open up the millto let some light in and so a person can see inside better. I have all the Keystone kits to outfit the inside. A little bit of lighting will help show off the equipment and activity. I have pictures of the inside of the mill and it is so cramped with power drives, walkways to get around the equipment and with the product, it could be a fun job. The first objective, however is to get it on the layout. I have to place it on a wharf on the river since all the logs came down the Hoquiam river from the log dump at New London. The logging story is nicely told in the NWSL book RAYONIER. I have to scratch build some of the Railroad Camp structures shown in this book.

A historical footnote. My grandfather came into Hoquiam as a scaler, married the bosses daughter of one of the timber barrons of Grays Harbor, and became a business tycoon building logging equipment, forming the Lamb Grays Harbor machine shop and foundry [Another model I will have to scratch build]

How did the window installation go on the mill structure? Would you have wished to have installed them before putting on the sheeting? I normal would do this but BTS doesn't put window casing in that order. Any comment?
Stay in touch
George
Building the NP Grays Harbor Branch in HO

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  2:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
George, it's great to have such a personal connection to your modeling. I'd like to see some of the pictures and posting in this thread would work as they are directly related. I also like that you've chosen a different color to add variety.

With the way this structure goes together, the way the thin sheet over the laser cut walls (studs) I think it best to put it together then the casings and windows after. I did the casings and trim over two years ago. I can hardly believe it's been that long! But from what I remember it works really easy. The framework is not that fragile so I can put it on my lap with one hand under the wall I'm working on and the other hand on top with tweezers and the small part being put on. That's how I recently added the windows. However you decide to do it, good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  7:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This website has been posted in several threads. http://magnoliaroute.com I post it here because in the Gallery #2 of pictures are several of the kits from this sawmill complex and it's neat to see someone else's build of it!

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Rubbles Depot; O Scale Topic Next Topic: Built REA Horseshoe Meadows Depot for NNGC  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000