Railroad Line Forums - Uniform Code of Operating Rules
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Uniform Code of Operating Rules
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Coal Fired Power Plant Ashes Topic Next Topic: A Toughie  

jwmurrayjr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  1:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jwmurrayjr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that many of the folks on this forum are MRR "Operators"; operations being one of your favorite aspects of the hobby. I've noticed many references to "rules" of operation here and this may help some of those like me who are "just getting their feet wet" break the code.

Since I got back into MR about 5 years ago I've slowly learned more about the prototype and have become increasingly interested in operations.

Recently I was thinking about some of the advantages of sound in MR, especially as relates to operation. I started looking for a definition of whistle and horn signals (The March issue of MR has a short list in the Information Desk column.) Then I remembered an article by Tony Koester that had a brief reference to (and picture of) the book of Uniform Code of Operating Rules(UCOR).

So then I wanted a copy of such a book.

We'll, of course, they are available on eBay and for as little as $1.00, more or less) plus shipping ($2-$3 is reasonable.) So I bought a few (4 - I don't know why.)

Anyway as some of you already know the UCOR contains all the essential rules for running a railroad (packed into 140 pages) from employee conduct and the duties of conductors, engineers and various staff to definitions of "Superiority of trains". Also signals of all kinds, handling of switches, movement of trains, movement by Train Orders, the forms of each Train Order, ABS rules and CTC rules and definitions (One of my books was used by a "pilot" - "Pilot" is defined in the book too.)

Anyway I thought that some of you might be interested in the UCOR and you can probably find one published specifically for your prototype and time period.

Have fun,
Jim

dave1905
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many different forms of rule books available on E-Bay. The UCOR (and there ae two different "UCOR"s, one MP/MKT/CRIP/SSW and the other Canadian) along with the CCOR (Consolidated code of operating rules), GCOR (general code of operating rules) and NORAC (NE operating rules advisory committee) are rules books that several railroads used jointly with other railroads. These roads had joint territories (trackage rights) and so used common rulebooks.

In addition there are rule books that were used by individual railroads.

Railroad rules change over the years and vary from place to place, so if you are looking for a rule book try to get one in the time period and in the area or for the road name in which you are interested. Another resource is the book "Rights of Trains" by Peter Josserand that explains how the rules work and some of the differences between the rules. Very dry reading, but an authoritative reference on classical railroad rules (from about 1915 to 1985).

Dave H.

Dave H.
Keep 'em painted side up

Previous Topic: Coal Fired Power Plant Ashes Topic Next Topic: A Toughie  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000